Mental Health Forums

Depression

Betsy

it is hard to say exactly what is helping because my whole life seems focused on depression and what it is doing to me.

i hardly have time to work what with 2 private therapys, one group therapy, and yoga every week. course i dont really want to work because i dont want to be around people.

but... now that i am back on meds and still depressed i tried yoga. it is led by my psychiatrist for 2 hours once a week (and he doesnt even charge!). as little as i have done it, only 2 classes so far, i think it makes a difference. the breathing and stretching and meditation and i leave feeling more peaceful. it doesnt last forever but maybe if i can start doing it at home it would help even more.

i get a little afraid on the meditation because it seems so close to dissassociation but oh well i kind of like that anyway. its just a little scarry.

i thought i'd post this in case it might help someone else.

bets

Thanks bets, I've heard from other ppl that yoga really helps but never really got the motivation up to do it. Plus I've looked around and don't seem to be able to find a class for less than £5/6 per hour which i sooo can't afford. Can't believe your psych runs a class...and for free! Wow! I'm glad its helping.

I know what u mean about meditation, someone I know keeps telling me to try it but it kind of freaks me out a bit, the way he talks about it, he says gives him similar experiences to cocaine...not sure i want that lol! :wacko: But then the thought of deep relaxation and getting away from the racing thoughts is pretty appealing.

Let us know how it goes bets, if it keeps helping, I'd be really interested to hear. Also, its been suggested I try tai chi....anyone do this?....does it help??

Thanks Bets

Twi

:wub:

twi? Yoga on tape? is that a novel idea? do you have a VCR? I could send you one, if ya want one. Am quite willing to do so. Let me know.

Bets I am glad ya doing better. Love ya babe.

I used to do tai chi and it was amazing, it really helped me a lot. Yoga sounds kewl aswel. sometimes if i'm listening to music I just drit off and it's like I'm not here but I am, sorry I can't explain very well but whenever this has happened I always feel really calm and relaxed afterwards.

Hey thanx for the offer wabbit! I hadn't thought of that, I've got a VCR, I'll have to find a video and give it a go...much cheaper than classes. Nice one!

Rock chick, I know what u mean, music can really chill me out too (as long as its the right sort and doesn't make me more depressed!). Thats good to hear tai chi helped u. I'm trying to get the guts up to go to a class!

Archived