Mental Health Forums

Dbt

em

I found when I started DBT it took a while before anything made any difference and wondered if it ws ever going to help.

I finished DBT just over two years ago and since I finished i have lapsed in using the skills and have forgotten them but when my T tells me to read up on them it does come flooding back.

My T says ( and i agree with him) DBT helps have coping stratergies that make you more able to function but doesn't deal with the underlying reason for the way you are feeling.Linehan believes you can measure happiness by levels of SH I don't agree.

I am glad I did it but the use it or lose it does apply.

Mrs Tree

Can relate to what you say about measuring levels of happiness. I did DBT for three years (one-on-one, plus 1 year group). Truth is, I actually feel incredibly bitter re: the amount of time and effort I put into that - I realise now that I actually don't give a shit about how well I'm 'functioning' when I still feel just as messed up inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I found when I started DBT it took a while before anything made any difference and wondered if it ws ever going to help.

I finished DBT just over two years ago and since I finished i have lapsed in using the skills and have forgotten them but when my T tells me to read up on them it does come flooding back.

My T says ( and i agree with him) DBT helps have coping stratergies that make you more able to function but doesn't deal with the underlying reason for the way you are feeling.Linehan believes you can measure happiness by levels of SH I don't agree.

I am glad I did it but the use it or lose it does apply.

Mrs Tree

The way DBT is supposed to be used in england is that, u complete that course of treatment to minimize self-destructive behaviour.. once that is zero or minimal u can then embark on other treatments to help sort out the past and other co-existing illnesses.........seems this is not happening....its really not supposed to be a case of oh u have done dbt now get on with ur life...ill use a metaphor.. say u cant drive but want to road trip across america.... u take lessons then pass, then go on with ur road trip, knowing how to drive and keep control of the car......DBT is the driving lessons.

XxX

Can relate to what you say about measuring levels of happiness. I did DBT for three years (one-on-one, plus 1 year group). Truth is, I actually feel incredibly bitter re: the amount of time and effort I put into that - I realise now that I actually don't give a shit about how well I'm 'functioning' when I still feel just as messed up inside.

Hi I've been placed on the waiting list for DBT but it's a year long so I'm just twiddling my thumbs and wondering how everybody else is finding their wait?

I know I'll sound whingey when I'm lucky to even be on a waiting list when people on here can't get treatment but I feel cast out to sort myself out for a year.

I've been referred to a psychologist I'm struggling to get along with and so far haven't had one successful appointment. I always leave and sit in my car sobbing. I see a psychiatrist once every 3 months who is like great you won't kill yourself, you're doing great. I tell him I've started self harming again and he is like well you didn't self harm for part of the 3 months so it's all ok. Focus on the positives. I'm taking a stanley knife to myself I can't really find a positive in that.

I feel like I'm just a number and a label and nobody gives a damn about what's actually going on. And I'm so scared of being accused of being attention seeking after the way a random GP treated me that now I don't want to tell anyone anything, I'm not ok I want help but everybody I tell sends me to somebody else who sends me to somebody else who puts me on this massive waiting list for help that doesn't address whole areas I need help with.

How is everyone else getting on? I presume my experience is pretty common?