Mental Health Forums

Rapid Eye Movement Therapy

djok77777

I had surgery in January and was sure I would wake up dead, and was soooo scared, that I had a bit of PTS after. My old therapist told me over the phone how to do it, and I believed it worked. Either it worked - I did it over and over - or just doing something helped.

I had surgery in January and was sure I would wake up dead, and was soooo scared, that I had a bit of PTS after.  My old therapist told me over the phone how to do it, and I believed it worked.  Either it worked - I did it over and over - or just doing something helped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me, it went like this:

The thing that had traumatized me was the surgery, or rather the 15 minutes leading up to being put out. I was told to replay that 15 minutes, picturing it in my mind, capturing the feeling of it - at the same time telling myself that I was glad I had done it, glad I had put my trust in the doctor, that I was happy with the outcome, etc. and moving my eyes side to side fairly quickly in a dark room without moving my head. Typically, you would have a therapist moving a pen or other object for you to follow with your eyes, but I didn't have one at the time - don't have one now either!

Anyway, I did that several times a day for a few days, and it really helped me to get over the initial trauma, though I have had other problems since then that were triggered by the surgery. Anyway, that's what it was for me!

Archived