Mental Health Forums

Eating Disorder Websites

Barebones

Here is a couple of websites which deal with ED they offer advice on treament and other information about all eating disorders. i was given this by my own doctor who is leading consultant on eating disorders and has a clinic. Hope you find them usefull.

http://www.something-fishy.org

http://www.edauk.com/

http://www.bpdworld.org/eating_disorders.php

someone i know works for Edauk, in the offices. it is a fab place, i have been in contact with them before.

are you sure, rachel? did you have a look at the sites, that's from the first one:

-------------------------------

Compulsive Overeating

People suffering with Compulsive Overeating have what is characterized as an "addiction" to food, using food and eating as a way to hide from their emotions, to fill a void they feel inside, and to cope with daily stresses and problems in their lives.

People suffering with this Eating Disorder tend to be overweight, are usually aware that their eating habits are abnormal, but find little comfort because of society's tendency to stereotype the "overweight" individual. Words like, "just go on a diet" are as emotionally devestating to a person suffering Compulsive Overeating as "just eat" can be to a person suffering Anorexia. A person suffering as a Compulsive Overeater is at health risk for a heart attack, high blood-pressure and cholesterol, kidney disease and/or failure, arthritis and bone deterioration, and stroke.

Men and Women who are Compulsive Overeaters will sometimes hide behind their physical appearance, using it as a blockade against society (common in survivors of sexual abuse). They feel guilty for not being "good enough," shame for being overweight, and generally have a very low self-esteem... they use food and eating to cope with these feelings, which only leads into the cycle of feeling them ten-fold and trying to find a way to cope again. With a low self esteem and often constant need for love and validation he/she will turn to obsessive episodes of binging and eating as a way to forget the pain and the desire for affection.

It is important to remember that most Eating Disorders, though their signs and symptoms may be different, share a great number of common causes and emotional aspects.

--------------------------------------------

It definitely sums me up to a t

O MY GOD

O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I can actually tell of successes in that field as well. I had it really under control for years now. Went from tent-size to size 14, just in a bad phase at the moment, but I hope to be back on track within the next few weeks.

There's definitely a way out of this!! I promise. (it just doesn't solve the underlying problems, they actually got a lot worse with me after I had the ed under control)

Very mixed messages here, I just want to say, it's possible to fight it and it's definitely great in some ways (the way i physically feel about myself when I'm quite fit and healthy for example) but I wouldn't overestimate it in its importance. Being slimmer really doesn't mean being happier.

Eva (who weighs less than half of what she used to weigh and is still size 14-16)

thank you, blade.

it's a bit strange to get compliments for it now that I'm not doing so well about it, but maybe I should look at what I've achieved and not what I'm failing at.

So thank you for reminding me.

I actually wrote it for anyone here who thinks it's impossible to get out of the vicious cycle.

I think I'll assess in which state of rotting away the fruit in my fridge is today and give the healthy options a try.

Eva,

I hope that you manage to gain some control over your compulsive eating again soon... I know how hard it is. I am really struggling today. Nearly slipped (again) when I was in Morrisons (the smell of bread and saw Lemon Meringue pies on offer in freezer section. it's so not fair).

My GP talked about my weight this morning. He asked if I had noticed any difference in coming off the Quetiapine and being on Risperidone. I haven't to be honest, which he was surprised at. He thought that I would have had less appetite on Risperidone. I felt like a failure for not seeing any difference.:(

But that's how I feel about most areas of my life, if not all

Thanks for sharing that it is possible to gain recovery though, really appreciate it.

Poodle

xx

• 1 year later...

I'm another over eater, at the moment I crave chocolate and can get through about 5 or 6 bars a day, but in general I just eat too much of whatever I can find, it's terrible, I lost 5 stone last year, but now it's all going to pot, I keep thinking to myself that the cravings will stop soon, but they don't, and I'm getting fatter, it's never ending.

OMG!

I totally agree with that article. I put on about 8 stone when i went on to olanzapine and havent lost any of it even though I am now on risperidone but I cant blame the meds, I just eat too much rubbish. I dont know how to control it. If anyone has any tips, I would be very grateful.

thank you lovelies

Same as everybody else,have managed to lose 21lbs but struggling over the past few days,back to keeping a food diary(which is the only thing that helps me).

Patricia

• 10 months later...

That makes two of us. Any others out there?

yes, indeed, and thank you for sharing your success story eva! it is indeed inspiring. i've gained 10 kilos in one month. this is because i've recently resorted to an old habit which i had stopped for about 10 years, which was, buying whole cakes and eating them all alone in my apartment. this weekend i actually bought two. they are both gone now.

and the shame for being overweight is really heightened in my current life. currently living in a culture in which it is completely acceptable to just walk up to someone (in this case, moi) and tell him/her that they are fat and don't look good and why don't they go on a diet? <_< it is so humiliating! and i know part of my binging is a childish "F- U!" to this mindset.... so sad.

i used to go to OA meetings, they are a GREAT place to meet other overeaters and hear absolutely tremendous success stories....

kimic go to those websites there is a support group for over eaters and bing eaters in fishy.org

have u ever went to ur doctor about your problems over eating and binge eating is a recogonised ed and can be tackled with.

im being referred to a ed clinic in my area, which there will be a dietician and i will get CBT therapy.

i know how hard it is to give up this way of life, but it can be done if ur ready for the first step in recovery.

keep talking to us and i hope we can help in any way.

• 3 weeks later...

kimic go to those websites there is a support group for over eaters and bing eaters in fishy.org

have u ever went to ur doctor about your problems over eating and binge eating is a recogonised ed and can be tackled with.

im being referred to a ed clinic in my area, which there will be a dietician and i will get CBT therapy.

i know how hard it is to give up this way of life, but it can be done if ur ready for the first step in recovery.

keep talking to us and i hope we can help in any way.

thank you so much!!!

i will indeed check those websites out. i definitely need a support group. i do appreciate your offer of support too.

i've been to nutritionists and doctors before about it. i'm sorry to say they were no help whatsoever. i am really glad you have access to a place that seems to be able to offer you help.

i will keep talking, thanks a lot. and good luck to you, too! how is it going? have you been to the clinic yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever heard of "Chew & Spit" ? I seen it on a program called Intervention where

a girl did this,i've never heard of it before.

It's amazing how close a person gets to an eating disorder when we diet

I went on a crash diet when i was 20 and i bet i didn't consume more than

200 calories a day and i was so weak that i couldn't get out of bed.

Thank God my Doctor called me on it and got me help before

it got any worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone ever heard of "Chew & Spit" ? I seen it on a program called Intervention where

a girl did this,i've never heard of it before.

chew and spit is exactly what it says, chew on some food then spit it out instead of swallowing it, it helps ease off eating urges ... i used to do it until i learnt that i was still consuming some calories through it.

Hey guys.

Its my first time on here so not really sure what to write. I'm kinda stuck at the mo. Ana has left me and i feel so lost and alone. I used to be so stronge with her and now mia has kicked back in. Its like i'm a little 14yr old all over again and my binges are out of control at times. I binge when i dont even want to or i will eat lunch and BANG the binge monster is here! I spend hours purging to the point i am coughing up blood, i take a shit load of diet pills that i know only make me worse but i cant seen to stop the voices in my head unless i do all of this. All i really want is Ana back in my life to give me strenght and love again.

I'm nothing without her.

WHAT DO I DO?????? i'm so so lost and sad all the f**king time. I'm fed up with y own voice and i'm fed up with life.

I'm scared to see my own reflection in the mirror. The thought of people seeing me is like my worst nightmare coming true.

If only i could just die in my sleep and relax for ever gives me such a content feeling.

What do i do guys, i need help.

OMG i'm f*cking 22 and such a f*cking screw up. Why cant i just be normal

If anyone is out there that fancys a chat i'm here

Thanks for listening

Melana x

• 1 month later...

I'm another over eater, at the moment I crave chocolate and can get through about 5 or 6 bars a day, but in general I just eat too much of whatever I can find, it's terrible, I lost 5 stone last year, but now it's all going to pot, I keep thinking to myself that the cravings will stop soon, but they don't, and I'm getting fatter, it's never ending.

OMG, this all of the over eating ones are me.

especially this one.

I'm another binger.

I look at the sites given out and there seems to help for people with this ED. is there anyway out of it? there are some people with success stories, but how did you do it. coz right now i see no end to this and i just feel worse and worse in myself. it just isnt fair. i wouldnt wish this on anyone.

Olanzapine made me gain 5 stone, spend £20 a day on food to binge and vomit, I had chaotic bulimia and the appetite of 2-3 people. I was constantly hungry and constantly eating. 200mgs of Topamax has reduced the urge to binge and I have lost a substantial amount of weight and binge only 1-2 times a month. I've gone Ana. I'm so glad Mia is (almost out of my life). Mia is the worst fucking thing.

nuclearwinter x