Mental Health Forums

Try Surfing

bored-a-line

i was obsessed with surfing ever since i was a teenager but i couldnt swim until about a year ago, when i made a goal to get on a board by the summer.

so anyway i got up on a board for the first time in april and was SO happy..best moment of my life possibly. then i hung out in hawaii trying to surf for a couple o weeks and my mind used to get so clear every morning..i just knew that this was something that could not possibly be a waste of time and i would cherish every moment of it. it was a huge challenge for me yet there was no question that i wouldnt rise above my normally self-hating attitude to do this cool cool thing. i felt like i was healing myself. i was more connected to my body, i even liked my body!

anyway so today i was flicking through some surf films and pictures and noticed how i get so stoked just looking at them, it lifts me right out of myself. its just beautiful you guys..you HAVE to try surfing. it's just you and the ever changing mighty ocean..and its like the greatest metaphor of your life. just watch some surfing films for starters..its just the BEST thing.

sorry about the gushing..but it comforts me so much and gives me all this energy thinking about it.

dont know if this is even the place to post this stuff..but i guess what im saying is that surfing is therapeutic for that empty bpd feeling.

anyone else feel this way about surfing or any other activity?

that's awesome b!

i always wanted to try it but the beaches i grew up around didn't really have good surfin waves. i love the ocean tho. It's so beautiful an powerful. It can make the biggest problem seem so small. :)

c

i love the ocean tho. It's so beautiful an powerful. It  can make the biggest problem seem so small. :)

c

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah it blew my mind that you can play in it even though its so powerful..

New York

Long Island Beaches, South Hampton, Montauk Point had some great ocean waves but very irratic, lots o' sharks and a wicked undertow. Got caught up in one once and it scared the hell outta me! Pulled me right out. You have to swim along the coastline until your out of it before you can swim back into shore. When I finally made it back, i passed out on the beach for a few hours! Trying to stand on your own two feet after that felt like a million pounds!

Hey guys

Wow surfing! Totally rocks man. I went to Newquey (uk) to visit a friend last summer and ended up spending everyday surfing! I loved it and would go again given the chance.

Skiing and snowboarding provide the same effect as well. Allows you to get away for a while and just kinda float around for a bit! Don't think I’m making much sense so will shut up now.

:rolleyes: :wub:

yeah newquays not bad is it?

they had nice steady sets all weekend when i was there in august, i might invest in a wetsuit and go one of these days (she says as it approaches midwinter!)

yeah newquays not bad is it?

they had nice steady sets all weekend when i was there in august, i might invest in a wetsuit and go one of these days (she says as it approaches midwinter!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: lol, I loved it!

I only did the boogie board thing, love to try some real surfing.

Snow mobiles fun! I hesitate to ski, My knees are messed up.

Water temps on the Jersey shore aren't bad in the summer.

i love trampolining. Theres a trampoline at work for the kids and they love it and my sis has a big trampoline in the garden! Its very amusing when we have parties and people go on trampoling :lol:

Tory x

• 2 weeks later...

my friend charlotte is a professional trapeze artist and has a ginormous trampoline on the entire ground floor of her house. she sleeps on the mezzenine, so if you bounce hard enough on the trampoline you can jump to the bedroom!

Archived