Mental Health Forums

Any Good Anti-anxiety Meds?

Katherine

Hi,

The only med I've taken before is Zopiclone--sleeping pill, and valerian-herbal.

But I'm having real trouble with the anxiety and panic and feeling attacked (by my intolerable feelings, but I project it into others and avoid them, run away from people when I'm out, almost)

I am wondering whether to go to my doc (who doesn't really know all that much about my emotional struggles-cos I never told him)and see if I can get something to dampen the anxiety--so I'm still aware of it, but am less threatenend and so I can go about my life feeling just a teeny bit safer and less wary and terrified.

But I still want to keep things focused with my therapy/therapist---i don't WANT to start on the diagnosis track if I can really help it....because I trust my therapy process, I just want to make it just a bit smoother (asking for the moon???)

Or, I could just get more of the Zopiclone and just hope that 6 hours a night respite from my pain helps for a week or so and then I jump in again...or I could just get regular on valerian again...

Any tips oor advice welcome....

lorna

A lot of the ssri's are also useful with helping with anxiety. I take cipralex and after the first few weeks it does seem to settle things down a little more.

I have also had short spells on diazepam (valium) but found that I still fext anxiety it was just that I was very detatched from it.

(does that even make sense?)

It is also potentially addictive, a big reason I would rather stay away from any of the benzo's.

Risperdal is my best pal :P .When I am on it anxiety is allmost completely a thing of the past. But its tough to get on.The side effects can be rough to cope with.Plus it was prescribed for the psychotic features I have with the added bonus that it seems to get rid of anxiety.

So deffinately talk to your Doc. Lots of people say buspar is a great anti anxiety drug.Non addictive and just one tablet a day.

Best of luck.

L

x

Thanks Lorna,

I'm taking valerian again at the mo. I'll see how things go.

Thanks for the advice. If I feel like I did on Friday morning again I'm definitely making an appointment.....

lorna

Archived