Mental Health Forums

The Angry Heart

Lauren

Has anyone else tried to work through this book?

I have had it for a few years now.But every time I try to start on one of the excersises my mind just goes blank.

Its like I totally stop feeling anything.

All though I do love some of the quotes.Try to live by a few of them.

The external paradox says a lot to me.

Yep.

Written by a guy from new york. He also runs an inpatient clinic for those with bpd.

Has had some great results.

The book is great but heavy going.Can be bought from amazon for about 8 pounds if any one is interested.

Just be prepared emotionaly before you get set in to it.

Found this about it...

For millions of adults who suffer from borderline personality disorder, life is a self-destructive cycle of impulsive, often addictive behavior that keeps them trapped in a zone of mental agony.

This unique self-help guide combines professional expertise with the words and experiences of Samuel, a young man who is struggling to stay on the path of his own healing journey. Offering poignant and often painful insights into how borderline and addictive behaviors come about, each chapter inlcudes challenging recovery exercises designed to provide the skills and emotional support needed to change.

It's a book for people whose unhappy childhoods have made them victims of their own behavior. It's for people who are stuck in a lifestyle that they hate. It's for people whose moods and actions are ever changing contradtions and who find that they are addicted to self-injurious pleasures and pains.

I have it, its very hard emotionally. I get to the point you mentioned. I kind of shut myself off completely. I have only worked with it for a few months. My therapist even told me to stop for a while. It is an amazing book that gives me much hope, though. I recommend it to everyone. But you have to be prepared for the pain it can cause your heart. Then you kind of see a light ahead to keep working toward. I keep having to take breaks. I figure it will take me a few years to complete.

Amy

I just have to add that it was so strange seeing myself on the pages of a book written by someone else and I wasn't there telling my story. The words weren't just like mine would have been, but the feelings were the same. I cannot express to any of you how comforting and frightening at the same time that was. Not only did I need to accept my dx, but I also had to accept responsiblity in my healing. I have to take on, what still at times seems impossible, the task of healing my wounds. My self. Nobody can do this for me. Its really hard. This book opened my eyes completely. The signature I use here is one of the quotes used on the chapter 3 page.

Archived