Mental Health Forums

More Than I Bargained For

Katherine

ok, so I got my effexor today, have taken one etc etc.

There's other stuff apart from meds in here,not sure if it should be moved?

I told my therapist that I was concerned about reading that it is dangerous to come off the med suddenly, and that the doc didn't give me instructions clearly for returning for review. Dangerous cos, as I said I'd read it can increase suicidal and self harm urges if stopped taking abruptly.

But then I look in all the stuff I've read recently and I can't find where it says that. Scared. Am I imagining things? What am I 'trying to say' beneath that? What does it say about my fears?

Because then I look again at what I got in the chemists. They gave me 2 boxes, and I didn't think much at the time, didn't count. I have moments of being really out of it all, and coming back home from the doc's and then the chemist's was one of them. I have 2 packs of each 28 pills. I have 56 pills. I am only supposed to have 28.

Now on one hand that is good because if these things work then when I see my doc again I won't need to pay out another £6-40 (=lot of money!).

HOWEVER if I was suicidal, really, and not just feeling it emotionally at times, and really did want to end it all, then what????

I mean, the chemist could've been, you know, helping me out.

But I'm not.

But I thought I read that thing and what if unconsciously, somewhere, there is part of me that, well, wants to...and would...

No, come on, I'm just 'acting out' aren't I????? Probably. But if so, why am I really anxious? Should I take the extra packet back to the chemist?

Perhaps I just wanted my therapist to be concerned about me.....

'just'. No, I want her to be concerned and caring and like a mother to me. She is a bit, a part-time mum.....

(has anyone ever read "Mouthing the words"?)

ok, hope I don't get any terrible dreams tonight!

love,

lorna

Hi Lorna

From personal experience i dont recommend coming off efexor abruptly, i did (in a fit of childish rage) and i was really ill, i was on 300mg a day, i had the shakes and couldnt stand up without falling over but it didnt increase su or si feelings, i just felt like shit for a bit.

It might be worth you ringing your docs to check what the dosage you are supposed to be taking, if its 150mg then you only have a months supply.

hope you had a dream free sleep

flippy

i came off 375 mg of effexor rather abruptly. i did it on my own and thought that i was tapering it off okay.. but it was too fast of a drop. i went bonkers... couldnt sleep for 4 nights and was begging for sleep. when my sis came to take me to the hosp. i put my head in my suitcase and she had to move me. they gave me more effexor plus something to make me sleep and i came out of it. the deal is if you want to go off of effexor have your doctor tell you at what rate to taper it and you will be fine.

it is a miracle for me..nothing else has helped me.

bets

no dreams but then I've only slept for 2 hours so far...am feeling really strange-moments of contentment then extreme anxiety that I might have schizophrenia + bpd + ptsd + anxiety + depression + whatever else is going....Don't know how ill I am but I sure feel weird. Perhaps this is part of an acceptance reaction or something.

I found the stuff on the leaflet about the suicide and self harm stuff. It was about the first 3 weeks of taking it, though there is a warning about withdrawal from it etc too.

I really seem to have moments of being 'out of it'.

The dose he put me on was 75 mg a day. I can only assume they usually give out 2 packs, or they felt sorry for me cos I have to pay out for it.

But I was still concerned.

Seems to be affecting my appetite-could only eat half a bowl of pasta for tea, haven't eaten much recently. Shall go shopping tomorrow and get in a supply of soup, fruit, potatoes,juice, stuff like that.

And camomile tea, as my therapist suggested. GOOD idea!!! (could use some right now!!!!!)

lorna

Ah well, better get back to bed and try and zzzzz..!!

Im glad u are giving the Effoxor a try. I belive thier is a med out thier that can work for everyone.

It didnt work for me at all, sadly made me worse and I spent too long in hosp before they took me off it and i was very sick even under hospital guidence comming of it made me very ill, but im glad i got off it cause it didnt work for me, but my auntie has taken it for 2yrs and its saved her life so it can certainly work for others.

On the appetitie it increased myne so was also part of it i hated, but a decrease is better then increase!

Chamomile tea sounds great!

**if u still feel iffy about chemist giving u too many maybe u can give the other box to ur Therapist or someone u trust that does NOT live with u to hold so that when u finish ur first box then it will be thier and u wont have to pay the $$ as they certainly cost lots and it sucks to pay $$$$$ all the time>

IF u feel safe having them then keep them...remember ur safety.

Hugs Katy

((((((Katy))))))

Thanks. I appreciate your advice re the extra pills. I'm ok with it right now. My therapist is being great about all this, and I don't know tho whether she'd look after them, but I could ask. I do also have definitely one friend who might do it for me should I need.

But so far I'm ok. Sorry they didn't work for you.

Snag is I'm only 7 stone (45 ish kilos) anyway, and I feel I've lost a pound or 2 over the past week through not eating enough anyway, and then these pills make me not want to eat.Ahhh!

But I'll go get the easily digestible stuff later, and yep, the chamomile tea----with honey I think!

Take care.

lorna

the pupils dialated is probably a side effect, be it from the meds or from lack of food (decreased appetite)

I remember when I was on it i was spaced out lots...probably did have dialited pupils!

but it may pass, remember most side effects pass after 4-6weeks of the drug being in ur system and ur system regulating it, thats why were meant to stay on them for atelast 6weeks to see if they can work for us.

Hope it works out for u.

Hey there Lorna,

I want U to chill as firstly, everything you're experiencing is exactly what I went through when I first started on effexor 2 years ago. For the first 2 weeks I took 37.5 mg a day, then 4 weeks of 75mg and up to 150 mg which I stayed on until recently (I'm being weaned off it and onto Prozac, to help with the bulimia). At first I had no appetite and wasn't eating anything, which was difficult cos you're supposed to take the med with food, to decrease the chances of suffering nausea. I didn't have the nausea and my appetite returned to my normal state after a couple of months, when I started to feel better I suppose. I told my CPN about the no- eating at the time and he was cool, just said that they would keep an eye on it, so I would definately mention it to your therapist as you're only 7 stone. As for the pupils, mine have been so dilated I fell in. The worst was when I took 49 tablets. NOT a good idea, I can assure you. I was shaking so much I couldn't walk, and I managed to dislocate my shoulder when I collapsed. After I'd been taking it for a couple of months I went to a friiends house and smoked some weed, I had uncontrollable clenching of jaw. I had it for ages and I'm sure I've ground down a few teeth. Hoping it prevents me from getting jowls. It's calmed down now. I was also drinking every day and found that every time I drank a glass of plain water I would throw it up straight away. Have had weird recurring dreams where I'm having to leave my parents house and I'm late and they drive off without me and then I miss the bus...worse still is the sweating, NOT attractive I can tell you. I have endured 2 summers on the south coast which was nightmarish but at least I don't get as cold as everyone else in winter. The sweats in the night are worse though, try explaining that to the in-laws when you stay at their house and need clean sheets for the bed. Coming off it can you make you feel strange and it isn't recommended, I always do it because I'm crap at getting my repeat prescriptions, so I think I'm used to it now. During a new year party I took an ecstacy tablet, and nothing happened. I took another, and another, and they had no effect. My friends on the other hand were bonding in mutual love. As we discussed it I found out that many of the side effects of e are similar to effexor, eg, inability to reach orgasm- (distressing but I find marijuana counter acts); clenchy jaw; dilated pupils and that feeling that your eyeballs are just gonna pop out of your head.

BUT, saying all this, Im glad I'm on it, I had tried half a dozen other anti-d's with no effect and effexor was the only one that removed the heavy pain of being alive from my soul.

I didn't mean to go on for so long, hope I haven't sent you to sleep! Just keep taking them because you have to try to see what works for you. Good luck,

Anwen

Hey Anwen, Thanks!

What a relief, re the eye thing.....Phew.....Does it wear off?

As for eating, I managed mashed potato, peas and gravy then a fruit jelly and some grapes for lunch. A fish pie is ready to go in the oven now and I hope I can get the broccoli and carrots down....I just keep encouraging myself....

I am keeping careful watch.

I'm wondering, if I ate more breakfast with it, would that help do you think?

I haven't had The Sweats yet....But then I'm sort of used to that---due to anxiety stuff I'd regularly anxiety-sweat every therapy session. And even Sure Active Response didn't do much.!!!!!! Its better now, though still bad in Group! With me the sheets aren't so much of a hassle, its more like wearing a t shirt for an hour or two and then having to put it straight in the wash!

No, you didn't send me to sleep......Maybe you could try later though :)

And yes, I'm actually experiencing positive effects from the efexor already, I have more energy (periodically!) and I finally put out the rubbish today, wasn't quite so panicky out shopping. And I'm glad I have the weekend off work, a bit of peace and quiet recovery time..

ok, now I am rambling....I must go and put dinner in the oven.

Thanks again.

lorna

Lorna,

You're doing really well, keep focusing on the positive. I think the fat pupils does die down, or maybe i just don't notice it anymore. All side effects are supposed to calm down after a couple of weeks, or so the leaflets tell you. Hope you're enjoying your weekend off,

Anwen

Hi Anwen,

Just now I'm *still waking up* and am very much enjoying my weekend off, thank you!!!!! :) I usually have to head out to work at 11.15 and, boy am I glad I don't have to do that today!

The chamomile tea worked wonders, I slept much better last night-I recommend it!

Thanks for the encouragement and support, it really helps right now..

lorna

Hey, that's what we're all here for, right?

I didn't find chamomile tea very helpful which is a shame because I drink coffee all day at work to stay awake and on the ball. Trying to use all these skills to prepare for the week ahead, sundays always a shite day for me. So, I'm visualising us all having a good week, with lots of communication and positive reinforcement. And also that I can go to sleep tonight!

Glad you're enjoying yourself, keep it up!

Anwen

Archived