Mental Health Forums

Weight Loss

gingernut

Does anyone want to join me in losing weight? Feel free to join in anytime

I have noticed alot of us are going to try for new year and I prefer to keep a log of it when I try so I thought which better place than here.

I have steadily put on weight since I moved back home with the comforts of my mums cooking and of course comfort eating that they have driven me to. I do no exercise at the moment and eat like a horse. I am I admit slightly competitive and that is a fair enough reason if you dont want to join in. I used to get fit with my sister but she is a size ten and has a washboard stomach so I dont want to kick myself when Im down.

I am going to finish the old year of 2006 with these credentials:

13 stone 2 pounds / 184.5 pounds / 83.6 kg / 40 percent body fat ( I have a set of poncey scales )

I am 168 cms around 5 foot 7 inches tall and am overweight.

I have done it in every possible format for the people abroad.

I will add to this thread every Sunday for a weigh in and on any other day that has been particularly good. I will not weigh myself any other day than Sunday to stop myself obsessing about it

I will not get the tape measure out for exactly the same reason

I will eat healthily

I will walk wherever possible

Ginger

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would just love to have a thread where we can "check in" for weight loss goals.

i've gained some "holiday weight" myself and need to lose 15 lbs!!!

i need to go weigh myself before posting my starting weight though.

Once a week sounds perfect!!

Great idea ginger!!!

I weighed myself yesterday without being aware of doing...until I saw what the reading was and OMG...why did I do that to myself! It's way too bad to share...I'll have a week of ryvita and vegetable soup and see what if I feel brave enough to stand on there again.

Youre right Susan we must have goals to acheive too.

I am setting my goal at 23 pounds which is 1 stone 9 pounds I think so I can get back down to the 11 and a half stone mark. My maths is appalling but Im sure someone will come along and correct me if its wrong.

Innerpeace feel free to join in when you want to or maybe just keep a track of how you feel when you come off your scales if your weight scares you too much.

Drew I know youre right about the drinking , it will be taking into consideration along with my exercise ideas. Cant give up cream cakes and alcohol all at the same time you slave driver.

Ginger

I will join in when I can get to Boots to weigh meself, dont own scales, many mirrors or a camera!

Have gone to size 14 (tight!) from size 18 in 5 months from stopping the booze, but still got ginormous belly (so need to exercise too)

Good plan Ginger

rebeccaborderline

PS blokes welcome to join!

Hey this sounds like a great idea I will join you all in trying to lose some of my fatness Im really overweight and will jump on the scales tomorrow and give you the horrid truth, this might help me with the motivation I need. :)

You can count on me posting my weight loss each week, I will be about 155lbs when I start, but, I will post my starting weight when I actually get on some scales...I have put on about 15-20 lbs over the last 12 months and my target will be to get down to 133 lbs.

I am going to use weight watchers, healthy eating and probably most importantly I have to put exercise back into my schedule. I lost my dog last year and so stopped walking him, hence my weight gain, I shall have a new dog this year but not until spring, thus, by autumn I should be starting my longer walks again. I am totally unfit and have a skiing holiday just 5 weeks away :o

I have the opposite problem now, I'm 5ft 10ins and 132 lbs and need to put some weight back on. So how do I do this without putting any fat back on and with carrying on cycling (gram. I'm not awake yet)?

Please help, I'm getting nagged!

lol

strat

PS happy new year everybody!

I think if you increase your calories through proteins and carbs, and keep cycling, the gained weight should turn to muscle.

I have done some exercise for the first time in the new year. It was a 15 minute jog with some walking then jogging at the end to make it up to 31 minutes so it wasnt bad. I made sure my heart rate stayed below 180 bpm and started jogging again when it got as low as 165 bpm. I did 3.08 km which was 4163 steps.

I am slightly chuffed that I could even do it, I have to say it does help when you have the gadgets to set goals. One of my slight weaknesses the gadget thing.

Anyway I hope everyone elses is going well too. God knows what I am going to feel like tomorrow this is really the first jog I have done since leaving the RAF.

Ginger

hmmmmm no exercise unless you count all the extra running to the loo,I am losing weight but its cos I have tummy bug,at least I dont feel like eating.

Patricia

losing weight sounds good, i have been doing well at weight watchers and it does make you feel a sense of achievement when you go and weigh in and see the weight come off each week

ginger, i have had a crap day but this thread has just filled me with a sense of enthusiasm. thankyou it's a great idea.

i have gained 2 stone (28 pounds) over the last 18 months. my consultant has said that its a side effect of my medication but thats no consolation. I even gave up the booze in June but that hasn't helped!

so here goes, i am male, 5ft 10 and weigh a whopping 16st 4lb (228 lb) i HATE the way i look but i now feel determined to post each sunday, hopefully along with a load of us encouraging each other.

i am SOOOO impressed that you went on a jog. i thought that it would be impossible for me to have the motivation for this but i am now at least THINKING about doing it. well done to you.

lloydy

Joanne, I have missed your wonderfully self-appreciating sense of humour so much :):D:) Loved being on holiday, but only in England would there be a gingerjoannne.

Good luck with your goals for the year, and glad to hear that you are a fellow gadget lover! You need to keep the pedometer on all day, I added 2000 steps just by catching tube to work (instead of driving) when i had one!

((((((((((((Joanne))))))))))))

Danny xxxxxxxxxx

I would like to join in with you all too I have lots of weight to lose I have piled mine on through comfort eating etc.

I was going to start going to my local weightwatchers meeting and I have signed up for the gym and I am feeling really embarressed about going.

This thread has given me some motivation I think I will go to the gym tomorrow.

Please help, I'm getting nagged!

lol

strat

DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE GETTING NAGGED...NOW TAKE 15-20 FROM ME...OR ELSE

:rolleyes::mellow::PB);):wub:^_^

p.s. i need to get back to 160 and i've gained 15 pounds due to this new medication AND THAT'S AS FAR AS I'M GOING...YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THE ADDITION YOURSELF WHILE I SCREAM INTO MY PILLOW

i've already gone swimming 2x this week

i've cut out all the soda i was drinking and gone to straight bottled water

i'm cutting out the sweets i was overdosing on over the holidays

that's the best i can do for now..thank god i'm 6' tall and can hide it OK

That's one of the drawbacks of being short - just under 5ft 2 and every extra pound shows. I looked like a barrel when I was pregnant and rapidly getting back to that state!

Today I have walked for four and a half miles doing 9722 steps, burning off 486 calories. Took us nearly 2 hours and the only reason we didnt finish sooner was we got really lost and ended up in a very dubious cow field. Dogs like cow poo how gross is that. Next gadget a GPS tracking system I think.

Eating is going quite well too I am doing that silly cereal diet which is really for short term quick weight loss so I will need to put a more permanent one in place when I finish the 2 weeks.

Paddy sorry to hear about the frequent toilet visits maybe you should join in when you feel better or get an outside loo so you work off the calories running further.

Innermuddle glad you are doing well at weightwatchers my friend did that one adn found it was a really well balanced way of losing weight.

Lloydy glad it motivated you and look forward to hearing from you every Sunday too Im sure we will get there together.

Loopyjen try not to feel embarrassed about going to the gym thats what its there for to get fit and lose those extra pounds. Make sure you dont push yourself too hard. Are they setting you a personal programme as they are quite good for motivation?

Susan you are doing really well with the swimming, really good for toning. Maybe I could stretch myself then I wouldnt look so out of proportion. An extra 3 inches would work wonders. ;)

Anyway there you go I have done some more exercise I hope everyone else is doing ok too

Ginger

P.S Dan good to have you back stalking my posts :P

OK, I invested in a set of scales, so can I play to now please?!

Im 41, 5'5", 11st 13lbs or about 77kg (cant see the little lines properly!)

Ideally, 10st 9lbs by June 30th, 9 - 9st 7lbs by end of year.

No, this isnt extreme, I was still 7st 7lbs at 30; my weight as an adult, before meds and drinking, was always between 7 1/2 st and 9st.

May be a bit idealistic, but heres hoping!

Will look at joining martial arts club over next couple weeks.

rebeccaborderline

NB an ad on telly just said Weight-Watchers registration is free at the moment...

Imperial Measurement Metric Measurement

without shoes in ft and ins without shoes in metres

HEIGHT BMI 20 – 25in st lb HEIGHT BMI 20 – 25in kg

4 ft 9 in 6 st 8 lb - 8 st 4 lb 1.50 m 45 - 56

4 ft 10 in 6 st 12 lb - 8 st 8 lb 1.52 m 46 - 58

4 ft 11 in 7 st 1 lb - 8 st 12 lb 1.54 m 47 - 59

5 ft 7 st 4 lb - 9 st 2 lb 1.56 m 49 - 61

5 ft 1 in 7 st 8 lb - 9 st 6 lb 1.58 m 50 - 62

5 ft 2 in 7 st 11 lb - 9 st 11 lb 1.60 m 51 - 64

5 ft 3 in 8 st 1 lb - 10 st 1 lb 1.62 m 52 - 66

5 ft 4 in 8 st 5 lb - 10 st 6 lb 1.64 m 54 - 67

5 ft 5 in 8 st 8 lb - 10 st 10 lb 1.66 m 55 - 69

5 ft 6 in 8 st 12 lb - 11 st 1 lb 1.68 m 56 - 71

5 ft 7 in 9 st 2 lb - 11 st 6 lb 1.70 m 58 - 72

5 ft 8 in 9 st 6 lb - 11 st 10 lb 1.72 m 59 - 74

5 ft 9 in 9 st 9 lb - 12 st 1 lb 1.74 m 61 - 76

5 ft 10 in 9 st 13 lb - 12 st 6 lb 1.76 m 62 - 77

5 ft 11 in 10 st 3 lb - 12 st 11 lb 1.78 m 63 - 79

6 ft 10 st 7 lb - 13 st 2 lb 1.80 m 65 - 81

6 ft 1 in 10 st 12 lb - 13 st 7 lb 1.82 m 66 - 83

6 ft 2 in 11 st 2 lb - 13 st 13 lb 1.84 m 68 - 85

6 ft 3 in 11 st 6 lb - 14 st 4 lb 1.86 m 69 - 86

6 ft 4 in 11 st 10 lb - 14 st 9 lb 1.88 m 71 - 88

Can people just take a look at the above chart to see their ideal healthy target weight, its based on the BMI but doesnt really take into account your body shape. Might help anyway as guidelines to targets.

Being 5 foot 7 I am aiming for my 11 stone target. My BMI at the moment is 29 so I am looking at more of a BMI of 22.

Rebecca I hope the martial arts go well and look forward to you kicking my butt in chat again.

Ginger

er, Ginger, sorry Im being dense;

how do you work out your BMI? I know is some weight/height correlation

cheers

rebeccaborderline

Archived