Mental Health Forums

Is This Ocd?

short fuse blues

hi...i cant bear to have any digital reading..eg. the volume on tele...on an odd number...must be on an even...must be!.......i also double or triple check things,sometimes seconds apart?????

hiya

i have a form of OCD, diagnosed. I do things similar ie the TV has to be on an even number and can only be certain even numbers or I freak out and keep checking its the right volume, I check things repeatedly in the forms of lists and write lists for the lists (sounds funny but it can be a nuisance), if things arent in alphabetical or colour order i freak out.

i always thought it was because i was super organised and that i didnt like things out of synch. some lovely shrink told me otherwise so i ended up with another label :unsure:

It defenitly sounds like an OCD trait but you also have to remember that lots of people have things like that going on.

So for it be diagnosed as OCD it has to be quite extreme and debilitating.

Lilly

I agree with lilly, many of us have obsessive/compulsive traits, I know I do, and sometimes it really gets out of control and can deeply distress me, (for one example I sometimes cant stop writing really long posts on here in response to others, to the point of being up until 7 in the morning, wishing I could go to bed but it wont let me, then spending ages obsessing over what Ive written) yet I dont have ocd. I think to have the actual disorder it would probably have to take over your every waking hour, but in saying that it might not mean that you dont also have o/c tendencies which also distress you. I think most people dont realise just how serious and life destroying ocd can be. My mum has it, but to a

much milder degree to people she met whilst in hospital, yet still sometimes I cant bear living with her because of it. She discovered that partners of severe ocd cases seemed to express a great deal more tension than partners of borderlines do.

Can you imagine what its like in my house - me the borderline living alone with my ocd mother! lol. We're close yet often clash as we're so similar in many ways.

Can I just say, I quite welcome the new changes to the boards - its good to see that ocd now has a seperate forum which it very much deserves. Maybe people can talk about all their strange/obsessive habits here where they wouldnt focus on them as much before. I have plenty to tell....but Im getting too obsessive lol :P

Only a doc can say for sure but it sure sounds like ocd. I have the same exact problem with numbers on tv volume, digital clocks, etc..except mine is odd numbers...i hate all even numbers except for 2..go figure...Last night i was watching tv with a date and i was closing my eyes every time he increased/decreased the volume cus i didn't want him to find out about my problem..with my friends and i family, i would instruct them to leave the volume at 21 instead of 22 for example...I don't move my car unless the clock has two odd numbers or more...0 is a neutral number..it's weird and i can go on forever but u get the point..i have problems with intrusive thoughts too..the obsessive part of OCD, i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely "OCD-ish" and if it causes you significant distress or if you have to spend long hours at it, or if NOT doing it causes you lots of anxiety, then yes, it would probably be diagnosed as full-blown OCD.

I think it would help you a lot to find a therapist or psychiatrist who could talk with you and give you a diagnosis (or not!). Once diagnosed, then you could receive treatment that could help you a lot.

It's hard work but it's well worth it!!

Good luck! :)

Patti

Oh My God! That's soooo me! I have to have the volume on the telly, stereo, etcetera on an even number/level - I don't quite know why though. Strange innit.

Archived