Mental Health Forums

Is Eye Phobia In The Scope Of Obsessive-compulsive Disorder? I Need Your Help

gaogwl

Is eye phobia in the scope of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? I need your help

I know eye phobia is a kind of social phobia, but dodn't know whether it is in the scope of Obsessive-Compulsive

Disorder.

I was suffering from eye phobis early in 2002. I can't control my eye sight before other person. I dond't where to look.

I there's a man or woman before me ,I can't help looking at him/her , or even turn my head to look sideway. I can't look

other face to face, so they misundrstand me.

No one love me. I'm so lonely. And no company needs me. I learnt web site making by my self. I hope I can earn money from

site. I dodn't know whether I will be ok. Any one help me? any one love me? .....

My mental site : http://www.jioulang.cn

( I'm Chinese , boy ,born in 1983 , single , Looking for the friend who is similar to me)

not being able to maintain eye contact is a sign of social anxiety. i dont believe there is anything obsessive about it at all. x

I think you should post this in the depression and ANXIETY forum as well because it seems to have more people in it.

It might just be social phobia or it might be obsessive compulsive disorder depending on how it is manifesting I guess. Are you too scared to see a doctor?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been warned not to see autistic people in all the people I reply to and I agree with that, so shall merely say many autistic people have these characteristics too - difficulty with eye contact and shyness.

We train ourselves to look at the other person's nose, ear or hair, or maybe chin or tie, (and all of these by turns) we find it less overstimulating to our CNS hence we feel more 'ourselves still' and the other tends to find it less objectionable than us turning away from them.

Am not too sure whether this idea helps people who aren't autistic though ...

I agree that it sounds more like social anxiety than OCD. Either way, both are anxiety disorders and would probably both respond to similar kinds of treatments. Have you seen a psychiatrist (pdoc) to get a diagnosis? Therapy perhaps supplemented by some anti-anxiety meds might do you lots of good! :) I know that being anxious around people is not a good feeling--do please try to find a good therapist who can help you with this!

And I'm not trying to flirt, but...you really are cute!! ;)

Good luck, and you might try posting in the Anxiety Disorders forum as already suggested.

Autism...interesting thought there. A doctor could evaluate you for that too--but odds are that it's social phobia/anxiety.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck!! :D

Patti

• 1 month later...

I agree that it sounds more like social anxiety than OCD. Either way, both are anxiety disorders and would probably both respond to similar kinds of treatments. Have you seen a psychiatrist (pdoc) to get a diagnosis? Therapy perhaps supplemented by some anti-anxiety meds might do you lots of good! :) I know that being anxious around people is not a good feeling--do please try to find a good therapist who can help you with this!

And I'm not trying to flirt, but...you really are cute!! ;)

Good luck, and you might try posting in the Anxiety Disorders forum as already suggested.

Autism...interesting thought there. A doctor could evaluate you for that too--but odds are that it's social phobia/anxiety.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck!! :D

Patti

Thanks for your reply. I think i'll find my friend!

• 2 years later...

Archived