Mental Health Forums

Obsessed With Washing

rfs24

not sure if this is obsessive behaviour, but am constanly in the shower/thinking about sweating, especially if i'm anxious about something, for instance before a night out last saturday i had a long bath/shower and then all of a sudden while i was getting ready i just felt the urge to have another quick bath/shower thinking i'm sweating and getting dirty. i constanly change my clothes, can't bear to sweat especially under my arms. always got the washing machine on. work split shifts and might only wear my work polo shirt for 4 hours but then put it in the wash and put a clean one on for the evening shift. if i'm away from home for any length of time, which is very rare, i have to take so much clothes with me and even then i'm handwashing them incase i run out of clothes to wear and thinking about when i can have my next shower and then trying to justify to other people that i'm really sweaty and need a shower and if i can't wash then i really lose it, sorry to go on and on.

becky

Sounds like an obsession indeed that must be very timeconsuming for you and causing you stress.

If you want to keep it under controle the best thing to do is not to give into it too much, that makes it worse.

I know its hard but thats the way to keep it in check.

Do you have a therapist, you might want to talk about it if you consider it a problem that is, if you dont well then its ok I guess.

Lilly

Hey

It sounds to me like an obsession, and sounds like it interfers with your life. I would go talk to your doctor about it. I also would try and slowly limit the amount of showers you have a day. Like say you are only allowed 3 showers and then once you have gone a day with only 3 showers then treat yourself in some way.

But I would advise you to go see your doctor and talk to them about this.

sunshinex

Archived