Mental Health Forums

Antipsychotics

scarletgal

Would anybody share some insight about how your body/mind reacted when you initially began antipsychotics? I dont know why the thought of taking them wierds me out so, but it does.

I took seroquel. It knocked me out, quite literally, I was falling asleep standing up.

It was very calming though, helped to slow the mind down and calm suicidal thoughts.

A small dose of my antipsychotics used to dope me out sufficiently but no more because of I have tolerance to them. My dose has since been increased without having any side effects at all. I also take antipsychotics as PRN when and if I need them. These cause no ill effects either.

i resisted for years cos i thought they would take away my intelligence and personality, but they didnt!! they do knock you out for a while but i developed a tolerence quick.. i also only take it at night but do take extra prn if i feel wierd occasionally.

for me they have been fantastic.

ive been on really high doses but now am on a low dose seroquel.

respiridone was the best fr my head but it made me produce breast milk so i had to come off it. seroquel for me isnt quite as good but its not bad.

everone is different though. hugs, ivy x

i've been on antipsychotics for over a year and a half and they still knock me out. over the winter i was put on 900mg of seroquel and literally could not function at all. i was put on abilify the other day and had to miss school today because i am so sedated. mentally, yes i do think they have helped a bit. but the physical symptoms aren't worth it. over the past two months i've start to exhibit classic signs of tardive dyskinesia which worries me very much.

I got put on 50mg of quitiapin and just felt tired but now feel nothing,cant get them increased as got told anymore and they dont work ??? So I will just come off them as they dont do anything for my thoughts anymore so whats the point in taking them.

• 3 months later...

I take promazine to calm down my panick attacks, but only take them if i really need them as they make me very sleepy. I take them at night to relax me if I've had a bad day mentally. Which is most days.. :(

I take Abilify, which isn't as sedating as some of the others, in fact I can get quite restless and unable to concentrate sometimes. It works very, very well though, and my psychotic episodes have lessened greatly since starting it x

i take two different ones.......been on one of them for 4 years...the other only about 2 months....having a crisis at the min so they just changed the dose!!!!!!

ive been on abilify, lamictal and clonazepam (spelling?) for over a month and a half now, and the initial effects were very unpleasant, but you have to stick to it. If youre anything like me you'll want to stop taking them, but if you keep up with it over time the effects lessen and youll feel at least a little better. It can take some time.

Of course, if you get any serious reactions you'll want to keep your doc\s up to date, sometimes you and a med will not get along and youll have to try something different.

Good luck with everything!

i got put on quitiapine and was on a low dose and got increased gradually. Whe i forst went on it it was good help with sleeping and helped a bit to fight the urges to cut and racing thoughts but its worn off a bit.

Im currently on 300mg of quetiapine/seroquel,for the first 7 days they helped me to sleep but ive since built up a tolerance,so they are not really helping me sleep too well anymore but they do help with other bits and bobs though!

Archived