Mental Health Forums

What Are You Ocd About?

tiellover

I knew I forgot something! :blink:

When I showed my GP my hands, she said, "YOU, my dear, are a 'picker'."

My GP is so smart it's scary--sometimes I think she can read my mind!! :unsure:

But she's right, of course. I am a Compulsive Skin Picker--another charming (ha!) manifestation of OCD.

As if my hands weren't bad enough with all the excessive washing, I make it worse when they start itching by digging on them and picking at the scabs.....

Oh dear. :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You tidy people please visit my place in turns!

But you will find my tins of food have the labels facing precisely

Occasionally I line them up by colour in rainbow order and occasionally alphabetically by main ingredient though more often it is logical - meat - veg - fruit - custards.

talking of rainbows ..... when am stressed out n trying to get brain in some sort of order i get a really bad ocd case over colours of the rainbow and the exact order they should be in and i have to say it correctly a set amount of times and if i dont i have to restart n keep going until i get it right for the right amount of times.

• 3 months later...

I dont have a diagnosis of OCD but I do know I have obsessions and compulsive rituals mainly with contamination, dirt and germs.

I have an obsession about men touching their penis's when they go to the loo then not washing their hands. In my mind they contaminate everything they then touch. This sends me off on one.

I avoid touching things if possible, I avoid touching food unless I have scrubbed my hands. I wash my hands all the time, until they crack and bleed. I use dettol or bleach sometimes if things are too obsessive. I do not eat or drink at anyone elses house except one friend. I have even been known to make myself sick after a meal because I thought the food was contaminated.

I don't like anything concerned with my pet cat. I freak if she touches me or leaves hair anywhere.

I don't like my hubby to touch my side of the bed and I avoid touching his. In fact I don't like touching him full stop.

I don't like holding the kids hands.

I have all my clothes in my wardrobe by colour or and style, ie all jeans together, all skirts, all long sleeve tops.

I get out of bed at night to check I have locked the door and I often return to my car to check I pulled the handbrake up.

It all does my bloody head in but can I stop it???? No! If anything it just gets worse.

When I am having a house cleaning session I often clean the tinyest of spaces with a toothbrush just to make sure it is spotless - bloody crazy I know!!

* I always get a clean towel before I have a wash or shower, even if the one already in there has been used once, for drying hands.

* I only touch light switches with my knuckles, not my fingertips. If it's not a switch, but instead is a long chord coming from the ceiling, then I grab the highest part that nobody touches.

* Toilet roll... A relatively new one for me, I no longer touch any of the next 3 squares on a roll, because the only hands that have touched them were when the person was wiping their shit. Not cool!

* I lift and lower the toilet seat with my foot, and to flush it too.

* I can't stop sniffing my fingers and rubbing them on my top-lip if I accidently touch any of the above... This one just renders everything else completely pointless!

Wow, like u were writing for me Lance.

Dx of severe OCD, does calm right down when i take the meds but is back full force now. My worst is bacteria, bleach and dettol being my best friends...everything gets washed in neat bleach including myself (painful, wouldn't recommend). People coughing sneezing within half a mile of me, i have in the past become aggressive to sneezing and coughing people. I go places and have to come home coz im thinking of a fire btreaking out, I hate letting people usde my toilet, i bleach everywhere after visits.... when im at my worse i wont eat anything that has been in a factory, in case workers have spat in it or something. Tins all straight, have to sit in the same place when i go to pubs or whatever, otherwise i would rather leave, carry alcohol gel.....brushed my teeth with bleach before and was about to drink it, to clean my insides (was stopped).... dont touch door handles or light switches, use sleeve to touch with, then bleach....random acts touch the person in front 3times or X will happen to X, if i sleep there will be a fire.... if i eat it means i dont love X.....will not asscociate with odd numbers at all, except Number 3 which is my safety number......constantly checking if i've lost things.......... phoning loved ones in the early hours to check they are alive coz im dont sure i touched the ceiling properly 3times............I could go on but im boring myself.

XxX

Too many to list sorry, but my main one is with pressing really hard, or staring really hard at the the middle of things, anything.

You should watch me try and put a lid on a pen, it's hilarious, it takes me so long and I get so frustrated. I have to get the nib to touch the rim of the nib so that it feels 'right' in my head, or I just explode inside.

xxx

• 1 month later...

Checking appliances in the main, but any thing is fair game if I feel stressed.

Although I tested negative for Aspergers, I have obsesssions about one subject, and can go on in conversation about this thing, it can be anything, even mundane. The latest thing is dentistry and teeth.

Archived