Mental Health Forums

All Disorders Are An Illusion And A Simple Energy Imbalance

one with nature

i see a lot of people on this forum list like a hundred disorders they have. im sure there was an article on sciam about this. it talked about how shrinks tend to give you the idea that you have a ton of things when you just have a simple problem that could be solved with real therapy or with oriental therapy (all oriental meditation practices, etc.). the thing is, when we tell ourselves we have something, we loose cofus from ourselves and the moment as it is, and focus on an idea. this idea is that "we" are sick, when we lack knowledge of ourselves. so the first thing you should do is know yourself. ive been experimenting with zen meditation and self-centering lately. ive explored and contemplated the whole zen filosophy and some hindu ideas and well as some occidental filosophies.

so heres zen. it consists of being in the moment and seeing things as they really are. you should start by sitting down with a cosmic mudra (in your lap, your dominant hand holding your non-dominant hand and the tips of your thumbs touching). this mudra will help you focus on the point beneath your belly button. this is the center of gravity for the body. if we loose contact with it, we loose contact with ourselves (youll know were it is because youll feel it). so as you sit down with your feet flat on the ground, with your back straight, you should breath in and feel as the air goes right in your lungs and the musles in your body stretch. you will feel this point right beneath your belly button as you do this (you should always feel this point), you you will also feel the muscles in your chest relax. you should breath in and out and count to ten (inhale is one, exhale is two). you should do this for about three days or so without loosing focus. you will learn how to hold your attention in one place without your mind wondering. you will also realize that focusing your attention is an effortless thing and will cause no tension or stress. then you should count each inhale and exhale as one for about three days. this will require more attention, but you will have more focus by this time. you should never forget about the cosmic mudra and the place beneath your belly button (its very important). you will begin to figure out things about yourself that you never knew were there, and you will become aware of everything arround you and become one with the moment. your anxieties and depression will leave you (i can asure you).

this is the key to knowing yourself. your subconscious mind will become conscious, so whenever something is bothering you, it will come to light for you to fix it. your very movements and speaking will become more coherent as you begin to know yourself. once you have practiced this for about a week or two, you will find your whole life going in a new direction (different people take different amounts of time and go through different ups and downs).

once you know yourself you will master yourself. you will be better off than when you started in a matter of months (or less).

my whole life in general has been changed for the good. im doing amazing. i have a discipline and attention for things i never had before. i have a control over my emotions i also never had before. i only experienced a few problems at first because of my lack of center (again, this is why the cosmic mudra and that place beneath your belly button is so important). but i basically went from chaos to enlightenment (im exagerating, but you'll get the point).

fuck meds and bullshit doctors. they dont know anything in some countries like the US. they just take your money. even if i went completely psychotic (ive been close) i wouldnt take meds.

i can assure you that meditation and self knowlegde are the cure to anything. they're even the cure to fisical disorders as science is proving now.

peace

Interesting..... but im not sure i agree. i think a combination of meds and therapy can do wonders,

so for example how would you go about helping someone get over major trauma? to me the only way through that is working through it with a therapist and talking about it.

dont understand how i can do this meditation as sometimes im not in control of my thoughts and my mind wanders without me wanting to- believe me id rather it didnt wander.

i dont mean to offend but your view seems way too simplistic for me but hey im glad it works for you

I know where your coming from...

I do energy work and meditate...I found the most incredible book written by a sexual abuse survivor who healed herself, it's called Your Aura and Your Chakras, The Owners Handbook by Karla McLaren.

There are therapies that are quite Zen in that it is about changing perception, acceptance, self awareness, focus on the here and now etc.

Self awareness has been my biggest tool in the box...I can use it to change my perception and how I feel.

I disagree actually but shalln't get on my soapbox about it.

One thing though, can you back up what you are saying about these methods especially with regard to physical problems? Where's the research?

yup, like Loula, I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

But its a bit simplistic to think just because it helped you, it will cure everyone.

In fact, I could say its a bit black/white, all/nothing thinking going on.

Which sounds a bit like borderline personality disorder.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit angry about saying 'fuck meds and bullshit doctors'. I think thats a highly dangerous statement, and you are being very irresponsible.

without my doctor, without my psychiatrist, without my meds i would be dead.

i should have thought of using Zen before i had my stroke it might have stopped it happening.

Before everyone gets too excited, there are therapies that have taken much from Zen and Buddhism in general.

Mindfulness is Buddhist...there is a meditation called mindfulness of breathing.

Acceptance - seeing reality - focusing in the here and now - changing perception...ringing any bells with those in therapy? They're all Buddhist.

And I can achieve the Zen state of mind and it is pure peace.

Hey

This is a loaded - loaded - loaded topic. I understand that everyone is

entitled to their own opinions. With that said.................my opinion

is BS. I know where I was before the meds and docs and know where

I am today. Its great that you found something that helps you but in

no way is it a cure all for everyone. I do hope that you do understand

that you were not going to get all positive feedback from this post?

March

yeah i know about all the Buddhist roots in various parts of DBT

but how on earth can all that cure a physical ailment? it can't.

Some believe all physical ailments are caused by emotions experienced at an earlier time. People have cured themselves of cancer and the like through positive thought and visualisation and energy work can heal at a cellular level. So sort out the emotional cause and the body will heal itself.

For me Inner, they are making fanciful claims, and saying to 'fuck' meds and doctors. I think that is such a dangerous thing to say.

If they believe it works for them, thats ok, but to be telling others to give up doctors is unforgiveable.

I do understand that one of the traits of one of the personality disorders (I dont remember which one, cos I dont suffer from it) is believing in the 'mystical' (for want of a better word). and I can understand that that is probably what they are displaying.

But I feel like its saying, "Hey I managed to run across six lanes of motorway traffic, without getting hit.Dont believe its dangerous,because I wasnt harmed - go and walk across the motorway."

Its wrong.

Wrong and dangerous.

It speaks for itself?

What do you hear it say?

I see that therapy, and doctors and medicine work together. That some people benefit more from one form of help than others, but that where possible, they can work together.

Im still feeling angry about that post.

It speaks for itself?

What do you hear it say?

I see that therapy, and doctors and medicine work together. That some people benefit more from one form of help than others, but that where possible, they can work together.

Im still feeling angry about that post.

I wonder why you feel so challenged by the post.

People do speak from their own perspective. What's important is that we share the things we have found that have helped us....someone may want to take control of their recovery and try something different that has worked for another.

And yes it does speak for itself...if the Buddhist principles in question didn't help people, they wouldn't form the basis of/be incorporated within certain therapies. Maybe the very same therapies that you are referring to yourself.

I feel challenged by it, because someone who doesnt know what they are talking about, (not you Ip, I respect your opinion) tells me and everyone else on here that they have found the cure to all our problems. And to give up on drugs, therapy and doctors.

I can see that Buddhist principles can work, in helping people with Bpd. I dont have a problem with that.

Its not the zen stuff that I have a problem with.

Its telling everyone that what is working for us (therapy, drugs, and doctors) is bullshit, and to fuck them.

It hurts me, what I have found works for me, and has been an incredibly painful experience, is now classed as 'bullshit'.

It scares me.

I'm used to people (family) with their own motives wanting me to stay sick, and dependent on them.

I cant see that is what my medical team are wanting.

But thats what I hear the OP saying they are doing.

I do appreciate how you feel Bibiddi. It is invalidating to be told that something which works for us is "bullshit" and I'm sorry you've had people wanting you to remain sick, that's really awful.

IP, can I thank you for what you have done.

I did, and still do feel strongly about what they wrote.

But you helped me look at where the anger for it stems from.

I found that very helpful.

Thank you.

IP, can I thank you for what you have done.

I did, and still do feel strongly about what they wrote.

But you helped me look at where the anger for it stems from.

I found that very helpful.

Thank you.

You're very welcome Bibiddi, I'm glad I helped.

i do think it is good for people to post suggestions of what helps them, but i agree with bibiddi that generalising that because it's helped them, it will help everyone, and also, i agree it is dangerous to say fuck meds and docs.. i do try and meditate, but it doesnt take away from the trauma i have suffered, and it doesnt change my reality at the moment which sucks.. me with 2 chronic physical illnessess plus bpd, and a terminally ill cat, no friends, no family etc..

i would be dead without my meds too abnd my psyc nurse..

i have tried so many alternative therapies to help with my physical and mental health probs and over the years have spent thousands and tried so hard to heal yet im still ill.

, but at the moment , my life is so intolerably hard, the only thing keeping me going is my meds and nurse, and i am going through so much stuff, i am not feeling very connected to my higher path.. i am dissallusioned by people.. i am having to let go of my hippy thing that i always believed if i forgave everyone, and gave out enough love, there would be peace.

i am so hurt by everyone i loved and at the moment i am just wanting my life to be over and done with.

god, sorry, just realised ive hyjacked this post. sorry.

blue x

i see a lot of people on this forum list like a hundred disorders they have. im sure there was an article on sciam about this. it talked about how shrinks tend to give you the idea that you have a ton of things when you just have a simple problem that could be solved with real therapy or with oriental therapy (all oriental meditation practices, etc.). the thing is, when we tell ourselves we have something, we loose cofus from ourselves and the moment as it is, and focus on an idea. this idea is that "we" are sick, when we lack knowledge of ourselves. so the first thing you should do is know yourself. ive been experimenting with zen meditation and self-centering lately. ive explored and contemplated the whole zen filosophy and some hindu ideas and well as some occidental filosophies.

so heres zen. it consists of being in the moment and seeing things as they really are. you should start by sitting down with a cosmic mudra (in your lap, your dominant hand holding your non-dominant hand and the tips of your thumbs touching). this mudra will help you focus on the point beneath your belly button. this is the center of gravity for the body. if we loose contact with it, we loose contact with ourselves (youll know were it is because youll feel it). so as you sit down with your feet flat on the ground, with your back straight, you should breath in and feel as the air goes right in your lungs and the musles in your body stretch. you will feel this point right beneath your belly button as you do this (you should always feel this point), you you will also feel the muscles in your chest relax. you should breath in and out and count to ten (inhale is one, exhale is two). you should do this for about three days or so without loosing focus. you will learn how to hold your attention in one place without your mind wondering. you will also realize that focusing your attention is an effortless thing and will cause no tension or stress. then you should count each inhale and exhale as one for about three days. this will require more attention, but you will have more focus by this time. you should never forget about the cosmic mudra and the place beneath your belly button (its very important). you will begin to figure out things about yourself that you never knew were there, and you will become aware of everything arround you and become one with the moment. your anxieties and depression will leave you (i can asure you).

this is the key to knowing yourself. your subconscious mind will become conscious, so whenever something is bothering you, it will come to light for you to fix it. your very movements and speaking will become more coherent as you begin to know yourself. once you have practiced this for about a week or two, you will find your whole life going in a new direction (different people take different amounts of time and go through different ups and downs).

once you know yourself you will master yourself. you will be better off than when you started in a matter of months (or less).

my whole life in general has been changed for the good. im doing amazing. i have a discipline and attention for things i never had before. i have a control over my emotions i also never had before. i only experienced a few problems at first because of my lack of center (again, this is why the cosmic mudra and that place beneath your belly button is so important). but i basically went from chaos to enlightenment (im exagerating, but you'll get the point).

fuck meds and bullshit doctors. they dont know anything in some countries like the US. they just take your money. even if i went completely psychotic (ive been close) i wouldnt take meds.

i can assure you that meditation and self knowlegde are the cure to anything. they're even the cure to fisical disorders as science is proving now.

peace

I haven't got a clue what you're getting at, but I've had episodes where only medication and behaviour management work -it's not as if I can chant myself well. If you're ill (in the genuine sense), you need professional help, not well-intentioned con artists. Do you really think that somebody in a full-blown manic, suicidal or psychotic episode is going to recover simply by breathing in a certain rhythm and staring at his/her navel? I think your philosophy is far more damaging than these "bullshit doctors" you attack: most doctors play safe with peoples' illnesses, whereas these "alternative" practitioners you advocate are self-satisfied, self-deluded chancers.

i have a control over my emotions i also never had before.

peace

For someone so in control of their emotions, you seem just a little angry. Personally I find my US docs very helpful and knowledgeable. I also practice meditation and living in the moment. Doesn't mean I also dont need the support of my therapist or the help of medication. I am of the belief that just as everyones issues are different, so is the healing process. To run one's process down because of your own anger is doing nothing but hindering your own peace. I am truly glad you have found your process and thank you for sharing it. It might help someone else. I wish you the best in life.

Interesting..... but im not sure i agree. i think a combination of meds and therapy can do wonders,

so for example how would you go about helping someone get over major trauma? to me the only way through that is working through it with a therapist and talking about it.

dont understand how i can do this meditation as sometimes im not in control of my thoughts and my mind wanders without me wanting to- believe me id rather it didnt wander.

i dont mean to offend but your view seems way too simplistic for me but hey im glad it works for you

you think my mind doesnt wonder and im in control of my thoughts (well, im in control now). i have severe attention problems dude. really bad attention. i used to sit there in class, my teacher would say something to me and in a few seconds id be wondering arround in my own world.

the thing is, it takes a few weeks to do this if not more. it took me six months, but i achieved it, and mainly it took me that long because of improper instructions. you have to let your thoughts be. you cant control them. it's all based arround non-action. you need to let your thoughts be, and count your breath. you will loose focus many times, but you will learn to focus. in fact, you will start to realize that you are making too much effort to focus, while you should be making none. focus should be effortless, as the very name of this meditation states. sahaja = effortless. (sahaja and zen are about the same).

my mom had some of the problems that i had, and she achieved the same state of non-action (loss of will and wakefulness) that i've achieved.

the funny thing is, you people dont realize the advantage you all have. you people have an altered perception (especially those with ocd/ocpd/add/adhd) that allows you to reach these states of meditation more easily than normal once you can grasp your attention.

hey, im sorry i gota say this...

i am a christian, i believe, i am also very understanding towards other religions and practices, each to there own, i believe they are all based around one form of dominant religion anyway..but hey ho, not the point.

i believe that a mixture of meds, therapy, friends, family, higher beings, the church, whatever religion you have all work together. there is not one dominant feature in helping any type of illness, be it physical or mental.

you say you need to let your thoughts be? im sorry but the whole reason i can just about cope in this world at the minute is because i stop my thoughts before they consume me. focusing on my breathe is a bit hard when all i want to do is stop.

focus should be effertless?no focus is just that...the ability to bring together every aspect of your being as one...it has to take effert to focus,

im sorry if this post upsets anyone, but i am feeling slightly belittled especially by the part thats says

"the funny thing is, you people dont realize the advantage you all have. you people have an altered perception (especially those with ocd/ocpd/add/adhd) that allows you to reach these states of meditation more easily than normal once you can grasp your attention."

YOU people...i find that very deemeening, us people as you so nicely put it are all different, thats the whole point of being human, the ability to see differently,the ability to be our own being...yes we may have an altered perception, a hightened sense of awareness, that doesnt mean we can grasp our attention any easier than any other person.

you seem to be bunching everyone will any type of mental problem as making a rod for their own back by accepting help from medical proffesionalls... and that only your way is the right way...thats a very dangourous way to think.

im sorry i cant say anymore, im feeliung very...

you think my mind doesnt wonder and im in control of my thoughts (well, im in control now). i have severe attention problems dude. really bad attention. i used to sit there in class, my teacher would say something to me and in a few seconds id be wondering arround in my own world.

the thing is, it takes a few weeks to do this if not more. it took me six months, but i achieved it, and mainly it took me that long because of improper instructions. you have to let your thoughts be. you cant control them. it's all based arround non-action. you need to let your thoughts be, and count your breath. you will loose focus many times, but you will learn to focus. in fact, you will start to realize that you are making too much effort to focus, while you should be making none. focus should be effortless, as the very name of this meditation states. sahaja = effortless. (sahaja and zen are about the same).

my mom had some of the problems that i had, and she achieved the same state of non-action (loss of will and wakefulness) that i've achieved.

the funny thing is, you people dont realize the advantage you all have. you people have an altered perception (especially those with ocd/ocpd/add/adhd) that allows you to reach these states of meditation more easily than normal once you can grasp your attention.

yup, like Loula, I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

But its a bit simplistic to think just because it helped you, it will cure everyone.

In fact, I could say its a bit black/white, all/nothing thinking going on.

Which sounds a bit like borderline personality disorder.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit angry about saying 'fuck meds and bullshit doctors'. I think thats a highly dangerous statement, and you are being very irresponsible.

you really think that it doesnt work for everyone? explore your psyche. what makes it up? a logical part that makes "you" to begin with. the impulsive part and emotional part that you dont interpret as "you". normally this takes control of you, and the logical part tries to hold it back or comprehend it (not always). then there's the subconscious which you interpret as some divine-type force which is existant and your mind has access to it.

you attention is a big part of the psyche. it's what "you" use to manipulate emotions/impulses, thoughts and perceptions.

there's really no denying that this is what everyone has. everyone has attention, everyone has a subconscious, everyone has emotions (even when you seem to lack them, you have some emotions which you dont exactly think of as emotions).

meditation is gaining control over your attention and your conscious mind. theres also no denying that it helps you comprehend your subconscious mind as it increases certain brain activity which allows you to do so.

it mainly consists of knowing yourself.

irresponsible? im giving out something here that is basically the cure for everything, it just requires you to preactice it. if you dont believe it, you can do research or just contemplate it. everyone of you has the potential of evolving out of what you are now, and quite easily too. it just requires you to do it and not stop. i say fuck doctors and meds because they will fuck you up, and for the most part, not teach you to know yourself. you're the one who has to learn that and become your own master.

i dont think its irresponsible. although it is dangerous, i think its worth it because it will help at least some of you. and when i say help, i mean enlightenment.

as for evidence, i think that is something which is not needed. people rely too much on science now a days. your own logic and reasoning can take you further into wisdom than science can. you have to look arround your mind yourself and investigate your consciousness. sahaja joga has probably been one of the greatest gifts given to man. it has been the deepest insight, and it consists of only logic, not science. science follows philosophy, that is, first you have the philosophical aspects of things, then you have science to look at the phisical aspects of the brain which make up the already known aspects of the psyche.

so you want some evidence now? well, people with a psychological disorder, wether it be depression, anxiety, ocd, ocpd, etc., lack a lot of the main inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. this substance is the one responsible for not only phisical and mental relaxation, but it also helps the release of many hormones which the body and brain need to develop and repair. it also helps the release of glutamate, the main stimulatory neurotransmitter in the brain. a high level of GABA as well as many stimulatory neurotransmitters create this state of deep relaxaion and wakefulness. after meditation (including Trascendental Meditation and Sahaja yoga-like general awareness meditations) GABA is increased by about 20%, as well as other stumilatory neurotransmitters being released with certain hormones. exercise does almost the exact same thing but in a smaller scale.

in an EEG, zen and sahaja yoga produce high amplitude alpha activity with blockage whenever there is outside stimulation (meaning gamma activity is produced). after about an hour, theta activity is produced, which is associated with the opening of the third eye and crown chakras.

peace

I also like to practice meditation and other alternative therapies with similar ideas to what you are saying. Reiki is very close to my heart and I practice this as often as I can.

But I do think that it takes a certain mindset to be dedicated and strong enough to follow such a path in the first place. I'm all over the place emotionally and mentally, and although I try to follow a regular rountine I just don't have the ability to put my mind on that sort of path. Also, I need to see a T to work through my issues - it's not something that I merely think I need - I do need it. I have an isolated life and can't get in touch with my emotions without help. I do think that in combination with treatments such as antidepressants, therapy and using alternative healing treaments can be beneficial though.

In short: if this has helped you great, but for the majority of people here it will take lot more than that to be able to move forward. But well done on your improvement.

Archived