Mental Health Forums

Getting Rid Of Obsessive Thoughts

james25

ocd is really bad at the moment. i'm finding it hard to do anything even posting on here because of obsessive thoughts. i just cant get them out of my head. all i can do is fight them with good thoughts but this just becomes a continuous circle of fighting bad thoughts with good thoughts. i've been told to just pay no attention to them and they will fade on their own but i cant just ignor them, its to difficult. i dont know how to stop the thoughts.

Hey james -

Those thoughts that go around and around in your head can be really difficult

to stop. Its like a recording going over and over again. Yeah the docs told me

I had to put those things on hold and counter act it with positive thoughts. Its not

an easy process, but I would have to write the thoughts down. Then write a

positive one, and read them over and over again. Have you tried to put on some

music to drown out the other recordings?

Marchmadness

hi, i havnt tried listening to music but i will try it thanks. i find it hard doing things because these thoughts are there most of the time. even writing this i have typed then deleted then typed again because of these thoughts. thanks for the advice.

hi rachel. at the moment i'm feeling like the thoughts are there waiting to come out and if i relax my mind they will come out. i'm fighting them back all the time. been a bit snappy today, i dont want people to talk to me much because it takes my concentration away from good thoughts.

James,

Sorry you are still struggling with your thoughts.

i understand what you mean, about trying to stay with the here and now kinda

remember we are here for you anytime

take care

Rach

x

• 2 months later...

((((James)))) Your doing so well fighting the thoughts, try to keep it up, i know that at times it feels easier to just give in but you are so well.

• 3 months later...

ocd is really bad at the moment. i'm finding it hard to do anything even posting on here because of obsessive thoughts. i just cant get them out of my head. all i can do is fight them with good thoughts but this just becomes a continuous circle of fighting bad thoughts with good thoughts. i've been told to just pay no attention to them and they will fade on their own but i cant just ignor them, its to difficult. i dont know how to stop the thoughts.

• 3 months later...

hey man, i have the same problem; constant intrusive disturbing thoughts of many different natures; i know what you mean when u say they are had to ignore; i personally can't ignore them; i feel like im caught in a trap each time, it's awful; everyone tells me just to ignore the thoughts and they'll become less distressing, but for me that seems impossible....

Hey James, I hope you are feeling better. I only get disturbing thoughts and voices when I am really stressed out, but then I usually feel like benaakatz. I can't usually not ignore them, but it actually helps me if a friend or my bf will talk to me in a soothing voice, usually I can't really follow what they are saying, so I tell them to start with a story and then just ramble about whatever they think of. Having someone elses actually voice in a relaxing and un stressful situation where I don't have to follow what they are saying, just be soothed helps me. Or if I get desperate I take a sleeping pill and I usually feel better when I wake up. Good luck!

Archived