Mental Health Forums

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

SuperTues

Reading is my favourite pastime in the world. I love curling up with a good book, especially if it's the kind that you just can't put down!

So I thought I'd ask what everyone's reading / what their fave book(s) is, just you now, because.

Well I am currently reading "I Did A Bad Thing" by Linda Green.

My fave books are (in no particular order):

The Harry Potter series

His Dark Materials series

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

How to Kill A Mocking Bird

Can You Keep A Secret?

and any book my Marian Keyes!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now i am reading josh's book 'no one knows' and on the last chapter

I like to read memoirs including

A child called it and his follow up books by Dave Pelzer.

The boy with no shoes by William horwood.

Deliver me from evil by Alloma Gilbert.

Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Amongst many others in the same genre,

Being a survivor myself i am drawn to these kind of books because i guess i can relate to them and i know that i am not alone, i have started to write my own story but just can't seem to finish it, lol just like every other thing i start.

Angela x x

currently reading prozac nation: young and depressed in america- a memoir by elizabeth wurtzel.

fave books include:

girl, interrupted - susanna kaysen

one child- torey hayden (love all her books though)

escape- carrolyn jessop

a million little peices- james fray

the bell jar- sylvia plath

damaged- cathy glass.

the dave pelzer books.

I am reading "Now Wait for Last Year" by Philip K. Dick, I'm a big fan of his stuff. He also wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", "A Scanner Darkly", "Minority Report", and that one with Sean Young and Harrison Ford I can never remember the name of.

I'm also a fan of Terry Pratchett.

if you like reading you might like the website http://www.goodreads.com/ it basically means you add books you have read, are reading and want to read and can meet new people who read same things as you. Bit like a global book club.

Thanks Beam - Aunty Beam ;) - that's great info!

I'm re-reading 1984 by george orwell at the moment. and intent to re-read brave new world as soon as i can get hold of a copy of it. I read them as part of my English Lit A Level and absolutely loved them.

I love stephen king books, and some james herbert. I won't read anything that resembles mills and boon - mum reads them and i think they're dull (sorry to anyone who likes them, just myu opinion)

I like stories in which the character journeys - and i feel like i'm taking that journey with them through the writing of the author.

As a general rule, i simply love reading. i will read pretty much anything just for the sake of reading it. I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha, and having never seen the film, i loved it.

im currently reading the talisman by peter straub and stephen king

i love horror books especially stephen king and james herbert

the necroscope series by brian lumley

anne rice

tolkein's books

i love terry pratchett

and i love reading poetry especially ann sexton and sylvia plath

i also love readin factual psychology, philosophical and mythological books

I am currently reading:

1. Forunata and Jacinta (this is 800 pages, so I have been reading it for a long time now, lol)

2. The Complete Artist's Way (doing the workbook as well)

3. Girl Interrupted (Reading this together with my bf, he is loving it)

that is plenty for me to tackle.

Sah

A Child called IT By Dave Pelzer

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer

Currently reading Girl In The Cellar by Allan Hall and Michael Leidig. This is about the girl, Natascha Kampusch, who escaped from Wolfgang Priklopil who held her captive for 8 years.

Sharonx

I have read the Dave Pelzer books aussiebabe, they are heartbreaking stories. Did you know his brother Richard Pelzer has also written A Teenager's Journey?

I am re-reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Its my fav book!

Right now = The Shipping News

I loooooove to read. Some of my favourite writers whose books I tend to read over and over again are: Welsh, Ondatje, Forster, Waugh, Oates, Dostoevsky, Hesse, Mann, Robbins, Oates, Davies, Atwood, and Coetzee.

But, I will read almost anything whether it is a children's book, a self help book or one explaining how to build airplanes, if it is in print, it is intrigues me until I've had a chance to devour it. (unless it is scary, then, not so much - I'm a big coward!)

currently reading prozac nation: young and depressed in america- a memoir by elizabeth wurtzel.

I have never managed to read that book - I get bored of her whining about how depressing her life is and how nothing happens. Kettle. Pot. Black. I know :lol:

I am reading "Now Wait for Last Year" by Philip K. Dick, I'm a big fan of his stuff. He also wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", "A Scanner Darkly", "Minority Report", and that one with Sean Young and Harrison Ford I can never remember the name of.

I've always meant to give his books a look although the film version of "A Scanner Darkly," I own but I just can't watch it. I get up to a certain point and have to turn it off because my brain starts to melt!

if you like reading you might like the website http://www.goodreads.com/ it basically means you add books you have read, are reading and want to read and can meet new people who read same things as you. Bit like a global book club.

Thanks beam!!

I'm re-reading 1984 by george orwell at the moment. and intent to re-read brave new world as soon as i can get hold of a copy of it. I read them as part of my English Lit A Level and absolutely loved them.

I love 1984!!!

erm i am reading this thread! does that count :P

No :lol:

I also love books by Jeff Abbott and Simon Kernick if you like crime thrillers. And Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs for forensic thrillers. And everyone should read Heartsick by Chelsea Cain - it's amazing!

tues. i only read first 3 chapters so far lol. i havent been in the mood to read recently!

ive just bought cathy glass's second book called erm i forgot lol. has anyone read of cathy glass's books? damaged it so good albeit rather upsetting

re reading GET ME OUT OF HERE by rachel reiland.

based on real life BPD. her story fascinates me.

since this is the second time i'm reading it, means i'm in the highlighter phase. i always highlight the passages that pertain to my struggle, my experience or just make me drop my jaw. all my books are very personal to me this way.

---nina.

ps: for anyone who hasn't read this book, it really is a good one that helped me a lot.

I read true books like those mentioned and also Torey Hayden. Waiting for Silent Boy to come out in paperback. Am very particular about books!

I also love anything to do with true crime. I am also reading Executioner: Chronicles of James Berry, Victorian Hangman by Geoffery Abbot

Fiction wise - SuperTues I LOVE To Kill A Mockingbird too!

I also collect childrens books such as Elinor M Brent-Dyer (Chalet School), Enid Blyton, and Lucy M Montgomery and others.

Helen

x

I joined that tonight!!

Thank you beam!

xx

I am currantly reading bone garden by tess gerritsen who is an awesome author.

sunshinex

been a while since i read one of hers but i agree she is good

starter for ten by david nicholls

i read that recently was quite good. Then i bought the film and it ruined the book for me. So my advice, do not watch the film lol

Archived