Mental Health Forums

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

SuperTues

I'm reading the third book of a Triology by Philip Pullman - the Northern lights - fantasy

It's call His Dark Materials Triology and the third book is The Amber Spyglass :P

I've read them all and I love them :wub: And fuck the Gold Compass, the first book is called Northern Lights. Stupid Americans, butching everything <_<:blink: :lol:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And fuck the Gold Compass, the first book is called Northern Lights. Stupid Americans, butching everything <_<:blink::lol:

Hear hear. :angry:

Part of what drew me into that book in the first place was the title, and the magical front cover of the first edition paperbacks... I became just obsessed with everything arctic... and polar bears... Northern Lights just sounds so romantic, and also it alludes to the whole Dust concept in a nice and subtle kind of way.

Did anyone ever read the books Homecoming, or Dicey's Song, by Cynthia Voigt, when they were younger? Homecoming is the famous one, but not really that famous at all, I am finding out, because no one I meet and ever think to ask has heard of it. I just LOVED it. It's about a girl called Dicey whose mum abandons her and her younger brother and sister (s?) and so they have to hitch-hike their way across America or a few states to get to their grandmother's house. Or it goes something like that. But I have such fond memories of reading it, and admiring the strength and presence of the main character Dicey, in the face of their considerable adversity.

Currently reading a few Swedish books on acceptance and mindfulness as well as Nietzsche and an autobiography of a heroin addict and also Dante's Divine Comedy.

Some of my favorite books are:

Anything by Douglas Coupland, Brett Easton Ellis, Edgar Allan Poe, Chuck Palahniuk, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sartre. "A Scanner Darkly", "A girls guide to modern European Philosophy", "Tender is the Night", "Lady Chatterly's Lover", "Trainspotting" and tons more. I love, love reading. Started with Nancy Drew books when I was six and have kept at it ever since. I also love reading graphic novels, Hellblazer being a strong favorite...

Currently reading a few Swedish books on acceptance and mindfulness as well as Nietzsche and an autobiography of a heroin addict and also Dante's Divine Comedy.

Anything by Douglas Coupland, Brett Easton Ellis, Edgar Allan Poe, Chuck Palahniuk, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sartre. "A Scanner Darkly", "A girls guide to modern European Philosophy", "Tender is the Night", "Lady Chatterly's Lover", "Trainspotting" and tons more. I love, love reading. Started with Nancy Drew books when I was six and have kept at it ever since. I also love reading graphic novels, Hellblazer being a strong favorite...

As if you're reading Nietzsche :huh: *feels inferior in reading matter*

I am now reading The Good Guy by Dean Koontz - this is actually the first time I've read one of his books!

As if you're reading Nietzsche :huh: *feels inferior in reading matter*

I am now reading The Good Guy by Dean Koontz - this is actually the first time I've read one of his books!

I am. I love philosophy. Not gonna say it's easy to read but it's fun. Still he can make you go a bit loopy in the head at times... Reading The Merry Science at the moment. I have made it my mission to combine nihilism and existentialism to my own philosophy... Besides, Nietzsche was a crazy person and I like crazy people :P

I am. I love philosophy. Not gonna say it's easy to read but it's fun. Still he can make you go a bit loopy in the head at times... Reading The Merry Science at the moment. I have made it my mission to combine nihilism and existentialism to my own philosophy... Besides, Nietzsche was a crazy person and I like crazy people :P

I don't even understand what nihilism and existentialism are - it's one of those things I can't get my head round, like politics.

Crazy people rule :lol:

I don't even understand what nihilism and existentialism are - it's one of those things I can't get my head round, like politics.

Crazy people rule :lol:

I think you have to have a passion for it tbh. It does take time to get your head round it. I blame philosophers in this since they ramble like crazy! A bit like me :P

I think you have to have a passion for it tbh. It does take time to get your head round it. I blame philosophers in this since they ramble like crazy! A bit like me :P

:lol:

I am reading 'but inside I am screaming' by Elizabeth Flock.

Its about a women who has attempted suicide and is in a mental health hospital and her recovery from depression.

sunshinex

the tale of the body thief by anne rice.

I love that book. :D

almost finished, loving it, lestat is an idiot to admire. he acts like pissing and pooing is the worst thing in the world.

I am reading 'but inside I am screaming' by Elizabeth Flock.

Its about a women who has attempted suicide and is in a mental health hospital and her recovery from depression.

sunshinex

read this too but its nothing like the psych ward i was on though.

- read i feel sick by jhonen vasquez, and a dc batman comic from 1990. was lovely.

i'm not really into reading but at the moment i'm trying to finish "Vital lies and simple truths" by Daniel Goldman.

i have ugly, have read the first chapter and couldnt get into it for some reason, is it worth trying again?

Right now i am reading josh's book 'no one knows' and on the last chapter

I like to read memoirs including

A child called it and his follow up books by Dave Pelzer.

The boy with no shoes by William horwood.

Deliver me from evil by Alloma Gilbert.

Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Amongst many others in the same genre,

Being a survivor myself i am drawn to these kind of books because i guess i can relate to them and i know that i am not alone, i have started to write my own story but just can't seem to finish it, lol just like every other thing i start.

Angela x x

ok going throu the posts,

i read/or have read the same types, torey hayden, dave piltzer, cathy glass, racheal reiland ect...

james herbert, stephen king...

has anyone else noticed most of us are reading books that are about personal tragedy? real life stories of hurting ect...

it makes you wonder why we read things that would so obv be too close to home and may disturb us, and yet i find all these type of books very theraputic... does anyone else?

ps sorry for spellin errors lol, i might read a lot, but still cant spell!

I'm reading the third book of a Triology by Philip Pullman - the Northern lights - fantasy

It's call His Dark Materials Triology and the third book is The Amber Spyglass :P

I've read them all and I love them :wub: And fuck the Gold Compass, the first book is called Northern Lights. Stupid Americans, butching everything <_<:blink::lol:

I heard from a mate that there is now a fourth book called ' the North ", where two of the characters - Lee Scorseby and the Armoured bear feature in their earlier years.

I am waiting for my copy of the 2008 edition of Handbook Of Psychiatric Drugs.

I like to be well informed about what they are poisoning me with.

Archived