Mental Health Forums

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

SuperTues

I am waiting for my copy of the 2008 edition of Handbook Of Psychiatric Drugs.

I like to be well informed about what they are poisoning me with.

LOL I'm like that - at the Samaritans they had an earlier edition of that book and so when I went for a shift after my meds had changed I'd always be builly looking it up.

I was reading The Virgin Suicides (which is awesome) but have been given the book Eat, Pray, Love which is a woman's account of going travel after the break up of her marriage and the devastation of her rebound relationship. I figured it made sense as I'm going through a similar thing!

Oh and I'm reading Lonely Planet's Thailand - did you know that Thailand are 543years ahead of us? They go from the birth of Buddha rather than JC lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heat magazine, star, new, closer, ok...any other celebrity magazine which can take me away from my own life, most of them have the same bloody stories, still buy them though!!

Havent managed to read a book for years..maybe I should try, read something worthwhile instead of wasting money on trashy mags!!

???God I just thought, buying these mags might be a bit obsessive...I buy 6 a week!! No need for it!! When I was pregnant with my 3rd child I bought every pregnancy mag I could 2...!!! How much more was there to know after buying them all with the 1st 2 kids???? Not a v serious or hurting anyone, bad obsession...but all the same..mmmmm its got me thinking!!

I'm reading two books at the moment, Suicidal Ideation and The Chronicles of Narnia. Quite a contrast :)

btw I can't believe that WHSmiths now have a specific section for 'tragic lifes stories'

Yeah most bookshops do now and supermarkets, who's the author of the former book? I've never read Narnia/watched the motion pictures, can't see it being my cuppo tea. How are you finding them then?

Yeah most bookshops do now and supermarkets, who's the author of the former book? I've never read Narnia/watched the motion pictures, can't see it being my cuppo tea. How are you finding them then?

I can't remember the name of the woman who wrote it. I'll have a look when I got home. She doesn't believe PD's are a valid diagnosis though.

I'm finding the Narnia books much more moralistic than I remember, irritatingly so. I'm more on the side of the white witch :)

I'm not reading anything apart from law books at the moment (assignment time :angry: ) but I love reading and will read almost anything!

I love:

Rachaels holiday

Ian Rankins books

Harry Potter

Girl Interupted

A head full of Blue

The Shopoholic books

The Pact

To Kill a Mocking Bird

The Bell Jar

Errr thats not all of them by a long shot but its all I can think of at the moment

My brain is puddled!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Rachel Reinland "Get me out og here" and it was awesome!!!!

I'm so glad that i heard about this book here because it gave me hope that

BPD can be cured and that no one should have to face a mental illness alone.

She has such a wonderful husband,he stood by her through it all

and her Therapist is an amazing person :)

• 3 months later...

I just read this book in one afternoon and loved it. It's from the richard and judy summer read collection and is about a woman with ocd who has to count everything. it's fictional and both funny and sad.

Addition by toni jordan

oh sounds good. i have seen it and no doubt will get round to getting it eventually. i normally like richard and judy's book group books.

i'm reading Norwegian Wood by a Hong Kong author that I can't remember how to spell or even hazard a guess. It's my book group book for this month. One of the characters seems to be living in what I could only describe as a therapeutic community although she has just become too ill to be even there so is now moving to a psychiatric hospital. The book is good but it's a bit too obscure to really describe what it's about.

Pretty much every book I have read or read are biographies or memoirs of people suffering from mental illness/es.

I'm currently reading: An Unquiet Mind ~ Kay Redfield Jamison

My favourite books are: Girl Interrupted ~ Susanna Kaysen

The Bell Jar ~ Sylvia Plath

Smashed ~ Koren Zailckas

Loulou

x

Finance Act 2007 - Advanced Taxation text book for 3.2 ACCA examinations....thats the book Im reading at the moment...so much fun (cough cough)

favourite book? - HARRY POTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I've just finished Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction!

lol Adrian Mole..

I have just finished reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme, which is amazing, and now reading Nature and The Human Soul by Bill Plotkin, interesting although a bit hard to read at times for me.., and next I want to read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

The Courage to Heal- A guide for Women Survivors of child Sexual Abuse by Ellen Bass and Laura Davies.

This was recommende by my 121 Psychologist.

I know it's not a jolly one

sharonx

I'm reading Russell Brand's autobiography

Bit of a change from the books I normally read but fancied something light at the moment

Plus I love him :wub:

xXx

Well, currently I'm not reading anything too rousing.

-Contemporary Theory of Human Behavior

-Discussing Human Behavioral Theory

-Social Psychology

-Social Work Methods Workbook

-Human Development & Lifespan

(ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

But, my favorite books when I'm NOT Reading for school are:

-The Four Agreements, anything by don Miguel Ruiz basically

-Elizabeth Wurtzel books are quite amuzing such as Prozac Nation

-Eckhart Tolle's books are pretty rockin

-The Good Patient was good, I read that a few months back

I find books on CD easier to 'read' these days since I'm so busy. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently reading Before I die by Jenny Downham.

I read it before and loved it, and at the moment, I really want to cry but the tears won't come so reading this will hopefully make me cry lol.

Natx

Archived