Mental Health Forums

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

SuperTues

I'm reading quite a few books at the moment. Russel Brands autobiography, very funny. Monster Love, about a couple who kill their child but written in a series of vignettes from themselves and the people involved in the ensuing courtcase, probation officer, neighbours, parents etc.

this isn't a book but i read Clare Allens' monthly articles in the Guardian. She wrote Poppy Shakespeare. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/series/itsmylife

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading a great book at the moment called Relentless

Here's a teaser for you:

3 o'clock. It's a normal Saturday afternoon.

You're with the kids in the garden when the phone rings.

It's your best friend from school. Someone you haven't seen for a few years.

It should be a friendly call making arrangements to see eachother again, catching up on old times.

But it's not!

The call is different. Your friend is speaking quickly, panting with fear, his breath coming in tortured,

ragged gasps. It is clear that someone is inflicting terrible pain on him.

He cries out and then utters six words that will change your life forever...

the first two lines of your address!

What do you do?

Do you run or do you hide?

It's great! Do read it!

Jay that sounds wicked!!!! U should get a commission from the publisher from that teaser!!! :D

From one extreme to another!!!

I've been reading "TRAINING THE MIND" written by "His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama"

(Am not a buddhist - I am a 'humanist' - join the cause!!! :D)

But this should really be required reading for anyone on the path to recovery of BPD. Jaw droppingly insightful stuff, thank you MrD!!!! :)

In the tradition of above... a short teaser!

"When I see beings of a negative disposition

Or those oppressed by negativity or pain,

May I, as if finding a treasure, consider them precious

For they are rarely met"

What one has thought so often, but never said so well. Thank you Josh, and all of the gang on the boards!!!! :sm.jpg:

Peace Y'all!!!! :) Keep hope alive!!!! -Dx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading The rain before it falls by Jonathan Coe. Again it's my book group book for the month. I'm enjoying it and it seems to be quite a quick read.

I'm reading a book called 'Tell it to the skies,' by Erica James, its a really good book which my friend bought me for my birthday, and random words are in Italian, so its educational too, WOOP!

My brother thought it was about talking to a pair of skis, as in when you go skiing :lol: , cracked me up.

xxx

Hermann Hesse. Look him up if you haven't heard of him. Most of his books are about how someone is on a journey through life, and the different parts and conflicting sides of a persons character .There is normally another character who is able to introduce that person to new ways of thinking or open up completely new life experinces.

Great fiction that can make you think. and see thing in another light

Hey Froodge I recently read Demian by Hermann Hesse. It was the first of his books I read and I thought it was very good. Certainly made me think and I thought it was a brilliant account of going through puberty and the trials of that and then entering adulthood. I believe that Hermann Hesse suffered with mental illhealth himself and this book really looked at issues surrounding that with an excellent approach. As I say Demian is the only one of his books i've read can you recommend another one for me?

At the moment i'm reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It's really good. Definitely a light read. It is brilliant. If you enjoy fiction I would recommend this. There's a whole series of them and this is the first one. I'm looking forward to finishing it and reading the rest!

Alice

ok going throu the posts,

i read/or have read the same types, torey hayden, dave piltzer, cathy glass, racheal reiland ect...

james herbert, stephen king...

has anyone else noticed most of us are reading books that are about personal tragedy? real life stories of hurting ect...

it makes you wonder why we read things that would so obv be too close to home and may disturb us, and yet i find all these type of books very theraputic... does anyone else?

ps sorry for spellin errors lol, i might read a lot, but still cant spell!

They are books that I don't read. I really don't like the real life books of tragedy. To be honest I'm a bit of a cynic and believe a lot of them are written by people who have jumped on the bandwagon following Dave Peltzer's success. Most of them are also terribly written in terms of good writing! I fully understand the whole writing an account of your abuse/personal tragedy etc for your own therapy but does it then really need to be published just so you can make as much money out of it as possible. Book stores having actual sections for these types of books is just beyond my understanding. We all have trials and tribulations. We all have our own stories. Yes it can help to read other people's stories and see that they have survived to give us courage and hope but surely one oh woe is me book is enough to read to get the gist of them all?

"Sunbathing in the Rain" is a brilliant book because it is written by somebody who suffers with depression but she hasn't written it as a all the gorey details book. It is something that can help you practically while actually struggling with depression. Surely books like these are so much more helpful? They are reflective and highlight tools and life skills we can put into practise ourselves.

Fiction books can be a brilliant way to get your experiences down in a very thought provoking way also. By doing in the way of fiction i believe you are more likely to avoid the danger of insincerity and poor old me voice. As in my last post Hermann Hesse is an example of the ways you can do this. In fiction it doesn't have to be your own experiences either so the world is your oyster in how you can expand on any of these issues. Someone on this thread mentioned Addition which is one of Richard and Judy's book group reads this year and that's one that I'd like to read. I think it looks at the issue of eating disorders. I unfortunately live all too readily in this real world and I'd much prefer to sink into a good fiction book!

If I read books about mental health/real life then they need to be at least written in a decent form of English and also have something to it other than just an outpouring of tragic life stories. Ok so I'm a book snob.

These 'real life tragedy' books wind me up no end in case you worked that out already!

Archived