Mental Health Forums

Ocd At Work

Pebble_4444

I started my first real job 4 weeks ago and for the first week I felt confident, independant and free...something I havnt felt for a long long LONG time. Then slowly things started going wrong. Its bar work in a small local pub. Nothing special I know but for me it was a major step. But withing a few weeks of starting I had rearranged the whole bar so it looked tidier, the glasses are now all lined up in height order, the towels folded, the sink always clean and bleached after every shift. To me it seems perfectly normal but people have started to notice and are asking questions. A guy sat at the bar the other night even came straight out and asked me if I was OCD after watching me wash and dry a glass about 10 times and then put it back in the dishwasher. I find myself wiping up if anyone spills even a drop of their drink. empty glasses on the bar drive me CRAZY! and i even got told off yesterday for moving all the bottles around and nobody could find anything.

I really want this job and it makes me feel like i have a purpose in life. But i cant stand people asking me if im ocd all the time and its now a standing joke that nobody is aloud to touch anything behind the bar or Katie will freak out. I hate it.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Katie XXXX

hey katie,

Congrats on the new job.

Do you have therapy or anything to help you with the OCD?

Do you think you could pull your boss to oneside and have a quiet word with him? you could say I have OCD and I am sorry if its affecting my work but I am trying to get help for it and in the mean time could you just bear with me please. I am sure your boss would appreciate knowing whats going on and try to help you out the best they could.

sunshinex

Archived