Mental Health Forums

Best Bpd/bipolar Med Combo?- Deperate Here !

foreverborderline

Need to try to get better, as you all know- I have no access to doctors so have to try and be my own doc and medicate myself- I was on Effexor and Depakote before but Depakote made me fat, what meds work best for Bpd and bipolar combo- if you cannot tell me then maybe there is a website that has that info..

Please, I am desperate.

I was on depakote for a while but came off it after some thorough research into the drug, it scared me the extent of how strong it was and also made me fat lol. I'm on seroquel now and hopefully going onto some sort of antidepressant to lift my mood, seroquel is an off the book drug for calming manic episodes as well as eliminating paranoia and all psychotic symptoms. I've been on a lot of antidepressants and found the best one was citalopram due to lack of side effects. Mind you it doesnt help with insomnia, but when im going through a bad patch sleep wise i take zopiclone. But i really would strongly advise you do your research if you are going to attempt to medicate yourself as im not sure what interactions each drug has with one another.

Hope this helps. xx

These kind of meds work differently for everybody so its a matter of trial and error.

For bipolar a moodstabelizer can be helpfull.

For people with BPD the most common combo is a low dose of an anti psychotic and an anti depressant namely an SSRI.

Lilly

These kind of meds work differently for everybody so its a matter of trial and error.

For bipolar a moodstabelizer can be helpfull.

For people with BPD the most common combo is a low dose of an anti psychotic and an anti depressant namely an SSRI.

Lilly

hi,

i have starting the ashton taper to get me the hell off these drugs that are ruining my life.

If you look at the side effects for the popular currently prescribed meds. google dr. peter breggin- he tells you and plenty of his collegues about how this sh*t causes brain shrinkage similar to that seen in chronic alcholics,

im tapering off xanax also. this aint pretty, but have to do it, i want the 'old me' back- not the 'drugged me'

seroquel is a drug from hell, imho. after being on it 5 yrs. i now fully understand, when at first i thought it was the best thing ever .

have any of you experienced akatasia, dystonia or tardive dyskenesia? involunary movements and spasms brought about by a certain amount of time on these neuroleptics and anti-depressants. since i stopped prozac around xmax- i have had bad days, but i have not attempted suicide. i was always thiking of / occasionally taking ods etc. im glad to be antidepressant free, and now anti-psychotic free. i also throw away my zimovane- id rether have insomnia than feel like shite the next day.

ive become sicker and sicker the more of this shit i take. and i stopped and started to taper of some dugs i just stopped outright that i was on tiny doses of - (seroquel- i would take 12.5mg twice a week maybe. im written up for 175 mg daily!)

just my thoughts. im not ending up a shaking drooling mess, as some ppl i know off my psych ward are- at 29 with td.

signing off

for any of you interested in this stuff, its mindblowing- my iq has dropped 30 pts to 115- that is bad. im not ready to get thicker....google it.

anne marie

when i went :excl: for 5 years unmedicated- i had no suicide attempts- for me, personally, this says a lot. talk therapy is where its at. drugs just msk your underlying illness, and usually they dont even do that! bloody drug compnies...im also a vegan, so have to get off this shit tested on animals- otherwise im a fake., really... :o

• 3 weeks later...

I'm dx with both bipolar and bpd. I'm on a combo of anti d and anti p. Taking Celexa and Abilify. I haven't been on them but a few days but I'll keep you posted.

Nina.

After 8years on various ADs (reboxitin, venlafaxine, duloxetine, fluoxetine, mirtazipine, dothiepin, citalopram....) i was finally diagnosed in Feb with BPD and my whole meds changed. Im now on Sertraline AD and Chlorpromazine (mood stabiliser) and stilnoct for sleep due to bad insomnia.

I think its working....altho ive had a rough patch so may get back to you on that.... :rolleyes:

I don't know how they'd work for you, honestly I don't even completely know how the new combination works for me, but I take 225 mg. Venlafaxine XR, 25mg. Amitriptyline, 0.5mg Lorazepam and am working up to 100mg of Lamotrigine.

KD

I've tried a few Anti-psychs (seroquel, abilify, quitiepine), and a few Anti-depressants (Prozac, trazodone), but have now seemed to settle (least side effects, apart from massive weight gain), Lofepramine 240mg (Anti-depressant), Lithium 600mg and Olanzapine 15mg (anti-psych). The only down side is the massive weight gain from Olanzapine - it's well known for it. I've put on over a stone (bout 3kg) in the last 2/3 months on it...i've known 1 p[erson put on 4.5 stone in same time on it!! :blink:

I'm now off for a bike ride as none of my clothes fit me (I was always a size 6!)

Hope that helps, but mainly it's just a trial process of seeing what works for you and talking to your Dr's throughout so you can all work together for the best outcome for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also on a combo of anti d's prozac 60mg and anti psychotic olanzapine 10 mg both daily but only just started anti p's (and the weight gain on them is inevitable but stayed on them because has calmed down my impulsivity and psychosis so its worth it)

Just wanted to update.

My med combo of abilify and celexa has worked beautifully. I really like it. It's NOT made me gain weight and even has cleared my skin. My fingernails and hair have started growing and looking wonderful. I feel good, I look good, I smile now. Everyone around me has noticed a change. I feel refreshed.

My wish is for everyone to find a combo that works for them.

Love, Nina.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update.

My med combo of abilify and celexa has worked beautifully. I really like it. It's NOT made me gain weight and even has cleared my skin. My fingernails and hair have started growing and looking wonderful. I feel good, I look good, I smile now. Everyone around me has noticed a change. I feel refreshed.

My wish is for everyone to find a combo that works for them.

Love, Nina.

i'm on effexor 150mg, olanzapine 20mg which has made me put on loads of weight - not good for improving my self image and stilnox cos i have trouble getting to sleep. its okn but has been over a year that i'm on these meds and though i feel better and have less mood swings i get down thinking this is because of the meds not me??!!would like to be alright without drugs but can't see that happenong in the near future

helen x

Archived