Mental Health Forums

Lost It

Lost It

hI EVERYONE - I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - I HAVE OCD WHICH WAS BEEN MADE WORSE DUE TO A CAR ACCIDENT I HAD IN MAY 2006 - I JUST CAN'T STOP MYSELF - I GO INTO EACH ROOM OF THE HOUSE AND HAVE TO STAND THERE SAYING OFF OFF OFF OFF EVERYTHINGS OFF AND THE LIGHT IS OFF - I THEN CAN'T REMEMBER WHETHER HAVE CHECKED AND OFF I GO AGAIN - ALSO WHEN IAM CHECKING THE CAR - IF A CAR COMES PAST WHILST I AM CHECKING I HAVE TO START AGAIN BECAUSE I LIKE IT TO BE QUIET BEFORE I START - HOW MAD IS THAT.

I TRY NOT TO GO BACK BUT THE PULL JUST SEEMS TO BE TOO STRONG. JUST LOCK ME UP IN A ROOM

I also have OCD and have done the things you do. I'd check the stove over and over and over and say, "off, off, off, off, off". Then I'd have to check again. I'd hit a bump while I was driving and think I ran over someone and would have to go back and check, then check again, etc. I would check my wording over and over while writing term papers to make SURE I did not plagiarize. Many other things also. I was in torment, and that's no exaggeration. I'm so much better now, so it can and does get better. I'm on 60 mg. of Paxil a day; also, I think I've dealt with this so much that I deal with it better, plus stressors I had in the past no longer exist. So no, you are not "nuts'; you have an illness, and you can be helped.

OCD is a strange condition - i've had it since I was 17.

Its as if we have a deep mistrust of our senses and memories.

I have a routine for leaving the Flat - I check each room one at a time - then finally concentrate on locking the door.

i too have ocd but not in yourways mine is that i have to buy loads and i mean loads of thnigs and when i do find something i buy so i have to spend

i just dont want too but cant help it

soim going with flow for now

god bless

x emma

I have so many things. When I'm especially stressed out I have enough they fill the whole day. I could write books on the stuff I do compulsively but a whole bunch of them have positive results. I can't stand a dirty house, messy yard but instead of driving myself crazy with neatness or weeds I've made some changes. I don't have any junk in my house so dusting takes a second [especially with all the cool products out there]. My house is barren, nothing to line up or arrange. In the yard, I stopped planting anything but wild perennials and they are no maintenance. I don't use any lights in any rooms that are not on a switch. I have a place for everything and it has helped because I don't have to go over and over it in my mind.

I don't fight it and accept it. If I have a rug that is constant maintenance, like always moving when I walk on it or messed up, or I trip on it, I get rid of it. My sink in the bathroom is not designed properly and it bugged me that it didn't drain properly, pain washing my hands or brushing my teeth, so I quit using it and use the kitchen sink. Now all I have to monitor is the dust on it, lol. When I accept something and adjust then 90% of it goes away. The fight against it is over.

I know it doesn't work so well in the world but honesty with the people that are close to me helps. They know I am the way I am and I don't really care if it is annoying, they don't have to live with it. Those who have lived with it have never complained because I work hard and shit gets done. Not all ocd has to be awful, torture, and I get tired too, tired I can't relax, tired I have to do repetitive things but it has also been my companion.

One time I listened to one song for 11 hours in the car coming home from a very upsetting visit. I never got tired of it and by the time I got home on some level I was ok.

find ways to go with it

hI EVERYONE - I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - I HAVE OCD WHICH WAS BEEN MADE WORSE DUE TO A CAR ACCIDENT I HAD IN MAY 2006 - I JUST CAN'T STOP MYSELF - I GO INTO EACH ROOM OF THE HOUSE AND HAVE TO STAND THERE SAYING OFF OFF OFF OFF EVERYTHINGS OFF AND THE LIGHT IS OFF - I THEN CAN'T REMEMBER WHETHER HAVE CHECKED AND OFF I GO AGAIN - ALSO WHEN IAM CHECKING THE CAR - IF A CAR COMES PAST WHILST I AM CHECKING I HAVE TO START AGAIN BECAUSE I LIKE IT TO BE QUIET BEFORE I START - HOW MAD IS THAT.

I TRY NOT TO GO BACK BUT THE PULL JUST SEEMS TO BE TOO STRONG. JUST LOCK ME UP IN A ROOM

hi lost it, you are not nuts yet, i had a friend with ocd, she spent hours in the bathroom, when she touched the doorknob to come out she would have to wash her hands again. there is hope she went to a therapist and now she is ok and married with a family, it just a little time. best wishes, jonny xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

You are not nuts. As you can see from how many people have replied to this thread that alot of people have OCD. Do you have any help or support to help you deal with your OCD? Do you think you could do with some counselling after your car accident?

sunshinex

Archived