Mental Health Forums

Changes

seafree

um how do you use paypal??? its confusing :unsure:

can i just send cash in the mail?? then you get to see ozzie dollers :)

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua

• Kelliemanic

• sunshine_bear

• Carole

Ok, how extreme are things then? if its got to the point where you are charging people in crisis to get some support then that is indicative that things are really bad.

I am sorry, I am well aware Josh and the staff at BPD World can fight their own battles, however, as this is a community I am going to respond.

Carole, do you need to see the accounts because otherwise they might be making it up? What is wrong with you? You are showing such disrespect. If you don't believe Josh and his team, then you know what to do. If you think this site isn't run properly, then don't give anything, including your dreadful attitude.

Fairy xxx

Is it too hard to welcome new people to the forum? Does saying 'hello' and helping new people use the forum cost anything?

Does being a moderator and moving posts to the right forum if necessary cost anything?

Does spending 5 minutes just to find some links to similar organisations so we can ask them to link to BPDWORLD cost anything?

Errm... no.

Funny how people pay for phone lines and internet connections. (And yes, no doubt some people use the internet at work, or in the library etc. and it won't cost bugger all, but considering some people spend god knows how many hours on here, the split second it would take to make an extra post saying hello to someone, or any of the other things I've mentioned surely won't put you out that much, considering people have the time to moan on this thread. It's not all about money, it's about doing something for someone else for 2 mins, but some of you are happy to jump ship because the basic fact is you can't be arsed. People have bad days, that's normal but if you can post "i'm having a bad day" can you not also say 'hello' to someone for example? You never know striking up conversation like that might even make you feel better!

see yet again someone is missing the point-josh is not charging anyone to use crisis as has been stated before he has asked for some support- financialy OR by pronoting the site etc

This site isn't worth jack

noone forced you to join or to stay, its a shame if you have such a negtaive attitude tho as i for one will say this site at times has been a lifesaver

noone forced you to join or to stay, its a shame if you have such a negtaive attitude tho as i for one will say this site at times has been a lifesaver

no, must be the people, not the site, that helps. what is the site if it isn't for the people in it? it is a vehicle. nothing more. nothing less

um this site is worth alot to many people here, it has saved lives. josh does a GREAT job here and so does all the other volenters here.

Maybe not to you but it means a lot to me and many others.

If it means a lot to you then you should look after your memebers better

I don't know. I'm in two minds about this. I must admit I was very shocked to see that my account had been restricted without any notice.

I think this whole thing has its good and bad points. As it has been said, there are people out there who cannot afford that £1 donation, and people are burried too deep in there own problems to even give time to help others. I just think it's a shame that no notice was given, as people who have posted previously on crisis etc, cannot access their replies.

Joshua I understand you are having financial troubles, and why you have had to resort to this after getting no replies in previous requests for donations etc... but would it have made things worse by just giving people a couple of days notice and even letting us know about your plans. We're meant to be a community and I just feel there has been a lack of communication. I don't think anyone would really have had a problem if they were just told about what was going to happen.

I'm not saying i'm against this idea. I'm just trying to see it from everyone's point of view. In all honesty I could do with using the crisis forum right now, but I don't have sufficient funds in my account to make a donation, and If I was to do something to help right now (which I will do, and shall also make my £1 donation when I can) how long would it take for my account to be updated. U know what I'm saying?

Anyway, sorry for babbling on. I do see why you had to do this Joshua and I have no problems with it, I just think alot of arguements could have been avoided by providing a bit of notice.

Thanks.

You only have to make a pledge to do something and your account will be upgraded and then another member of the team will check your progress on whether you have managed to complete what you pledged.

No matter how this was done there would have been issues, believe me.

i dont think people have got the point of this thread and the other that josh had posted, i have seen so many narrow minded responses, we are actually very lucky toi have tghe services provided on this site and as josh has said much more going on than we see on this site, jess/lou is doing an amazing thing for this site and i feel its inappropriate to be attacking her on her thread, she had mentioned for a while no that she wanted to do a skydive and raise funds for bpdworld and i want to ( as i know others do im not forgetting them) support her in her huge efforts

I think what Lou is doing for BPD World is amazing - I actually envy her for getting to jump out of a plane and would have happily sponsored her by now if I'd known she was doing it.

We are very lucky to have these services available to us and I think we all benefit from them phenomenally. However, restricting access to parts of the site and also our own posts is cruel and unusual, and quite frankly the wrong way to get support out of the users. Not only will it alienate a large majority of users on this site that need help but now can't afford it, but it will put other users off using the service.

Appeals for support can be made without endangering the people who need help the most. How many people are going to suffer because they are at crisis point and now have no one to help them through it?

Yes Josh, the TV shows starving children in a bid to extract money for people by appealing to their softer side. But that's hardly what you have done. You don't see the Samaritans refusing to speak to suicidal callers unless they pay out more money? Yes they charge a local rate for the calls but if the caller needs it, they can ask the Samaritans to call them back at no charge. That's offering real help. The Samaritans appeal to non-users to fund them rather than cutting people off unles they pay for the privilege.

The restriction should be lifted and a more realistic bid for support should be posed.

Maybe so, but I think its worse not telling anyone about it. I was using the site last night and then when I went to go on chat the whole restriction thing baffled me, I though i'd been banned for some reason. At least if there was a couple of days where the whole thing was explained and you could have answered people's concerns, I think it wouldn't have been as bad as this.

We are very lucky to have these services available to us and I think we all benefit from them phenomenally. However, restricting access to parts of the site and also our own posts is cruel and unusual, and quite frankly the wrong way to get support out of the users. Not only will it alienate a large majority of users on this site that need help but now can't afford it, but it will put other users off using the service.

Appeals for support can be made without endangering the people who need help the most. How many people are going to suffer because they are at crisis point and now have no one to help them through it?

Yes Josh, the TV shows starving children in a bid to extract money for people by appealing to their softer side. But that's hardly what you have done. You don't see the Samaritans refusing to speak to suicidal callers unless they pay out more money? Yes they charge a local rate for the calls but if the caller needs it, they can ask the Samaritans to call them back at no charge. That's offering real help. The Samaritans appeal to non-users to fund them rather than cutting people off unless they pay for the privilege.

You only have to make a pledge to do something and your account will be upgraded and then another member of the team will check your progress on whether you have managed to complete what you pledged.

I have no income and a maxed out overdraft. I am currently living off my Mastercard and I reside in Thailand. What can I pledge to do to help?

Your focusing yet again on what you can not do rather than what you actually can do.

Would letting your gp know about us harm you? would telling your nurse? getting some people to join our newsletter?

No

Requests were made and no one helped. This is what has happened as a result of what, as i said if you can think of a better way id be happy to hear about it.

hmmm I am not getting involved in this, not in the mood but now feel guilty and crappy so thanks. I will donate can't afford it but will.

Surely it would have been kinder to give a few days notice of this change? There will be people who have posted in some of the restricted forums, asking for help, who are now unable to get back in there to read their replies.

Where are restricted?

I don't really understand whats happening, but I know I want to hide from it

everyones so angry and upset cries

Surely it would have been kinder to give a few days notice of this change? There will be people who have posted in some of the restricted forums, asking for help, who are now unable to get back in there to read their replies.

Where are restricted?

I don't really understand whats happening, but I know I want to hide from it

everyones so angry and upset cries

the ones at the bottom. crisis thread, sex and relationship thread, venting thread. At the moment i can avoid those threads if i feel i will be triggered, but now i can imagine that people in crisis will randomly post elsewhere on the forum.

ok, this is going to cost me admitting this, but I do NOT control my fiances my fiance does completly and he knows what we have and don't. I tallked him into giving money for the sky dive. So I dare not ask him for anymore so I am now a welcomer and does that class as helping out? If so why am i still restricted?

This is all really upsetting and i cried throughout reading this. Ok ignore me cos I can use things I guess cos I am a welcomer?

I wish everyone would stop fighting.

sunshine sits down crying doesn't know what else to do.

Samaritans might offer a call back, but I've learned from so many helpline calls here that an overwhelming number of people with BPD are turned away by the Samaritans when they are in crisis because their needs are "too complex". They seem ever so helpful... and errm last time I checked they didn't have the additional costs of forums to run. I suppose Josh could always get rid of the boards if samaritans have got it so right. Plus they might appeal to non-users, but as Emma I think it was wrote somewhere, only 1 in 500 donation applications are successful - have you seen how long those forms take to fill out?

Archived