Mental Health Forums

Totally F*cked Up For No Reason At All

walker

:bigarmhug[1]:

Hope you are okay walker?

I just wanted to say that a lot of the time I think that I am just making it all up too. But I just wanted to remind you, that you wouldn't think that of me, and I wouldn't think that of you. It has really been helping me to think on the fact that if I met me (as someone else, you for instance) I would believe what you say about how you feel and try and be a comfort. Take some time to allow yourself to be a comfort to yourself - the same way that you comfort others here and have spoken words of goodness to them.

I understand how you are feeling and know that sometimes you can be in a place where nothing anyone says seems to make any difference. Try to hold on to the fact that there are others that feel just like you and understand and care and believe that the bad things you are going through really matter.

love eve-naive xx

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with eve, and i also have spent the last 2 years thinking, shit, ive made all of this up, none of its real ive done it for attention and its all backfired, but no, thats wasnt true, and it took me a while to realise that, like eve said; a lot of the time I think that I am just making it all up too. But I just wanted to remind you, that you wouldn't think that of me, and I wouldn't think that of you. It has really been helping me to think on the fact that if I met me (as someone else, you for instance) I would believe what you say about how you feel and try and be a comfort.[

Take care buddy xxx

Ross, you say it is pp mode, that you have seen the others, yet it is all I ever feel

day in day out

T - its your fault - get out and do things - make something of your life - clean the house - eat properly - da da da da da da da da

James says i am trying to push him away

well i know he doesnt want to help me, even though he keeps telling me he does

but i think he doesnt want me around, because i think no one wants me around

maybbe because i thought they didnt want me around, - but now they change what they say and do, and tell me i remember things wrong

and i am so confused

and all the time the only truth I know is that i am making it all bad

Hi Walker

Have been doing some digging around, and I think i have found something that may help you and James.

Ask him if he has a copy of Robert L Leahy's "Overcoming Resistance in Cognitive Therapy" (dont panic about the title, this is a nice thing) and tell him to turn to chapter 4 - Validation Resistance. I have read the chapter and I think it describes very well the situation you are in and may help James to support you through the deadlock.

If he does not have a copy then I would suggest he buys one - its a very well respected text. Please dont dismiss this as an impossibility or that he wont do it etc - please just try suggesting it to him.

wierd

I know when it happened too

was in complete state after being shafted on here this morning, but had to go straight out to GP

SO had to face the world..

Let go a bit with GP, but then shut off as I left - and completely lost touch with how I had felt earlier

seem to have no access to those emotions atm

That's understandable...

Grounding techniques help bring us back in touch with our emotions but it will happen, keeping grounded when they do come really helps too.

wierd

I know when it happened too

was in complete state after being shafted on here this morning, but had to go straight out to GP

SO had to face the world..

Let go a bit with GP, but then shut off as I left - and completely lost touch with how I had felt earlier

seem to have no access to those emotions atm

Yes that will do it - thats pretty much exactly how my detached protector comes in too. It seems like you have a small handle on your punitive parent and detached protector modes now. Look out for th others as well, Angry Child will be in the mix somewhere there too.

For me, extreme emotion can cause my DP to switch on, and I do it in the therapy room as well. All to be expected as its how we deal at first.

yep angry child appears each time i have been attacked on here, closely followed by vulnerable child because i am not allowed to retaliate

but where does this get me?

i think it must happen to me when I am with James, too, as I switch rapidly from one thing to another and feel like the last thing has completely gone

At least that is how it seems to me - like one topic, or converstaion, or worry, has just come to an abrupt end - finished-and I cant connect with it anymore - dont know what James thinks

but how does this help?

Doesnt everyone do this?

yep angry child appears each time i have been attacked on here, closely followed by vulnerable child because i am not allowed to retaliate

but where does this get me?

i think it must happen to me when I am with James, too, as I switch rapidly from one thing to another and feel like the last thing has completely gone

At least that is how it seems to me - like one topic, or converstaion, or worry, has just come to an abrupt end - finished-and I cant connect with it anymore - dont know what James thinks

but how does this help?

Doesnt everyone do this?

The feeling of being 'not allowed' is still PP mode. Vulnerable child is the one that feels alone, anxious, depressed etc. The PP mode is the one that guilts and controls you and stops you from doing things, you will recognise it by a sense of shame of powerlessness. I posted a list of modes - use that as a shirtcut too to identify them.

No everyone does not do this! You are starting a topic that is emotional and then losing the connection with the emotion because it is too much for you. That stops you from ever getting the actual emotional need met, because you always 'cut off' before it gets there due to fear, shame or guilt.

READ YOUR BLOODY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!! (prac guide)

Tsk. How many more times do I have to tell you?? :lol:

:(

am re reading (its here beside me atm)

please dont go on at me though

Perhaps I just dont have your understanding

I still dont understand how it will help, (you dont need to answer that )

Interestingly, though, I have been feeling for some time that James needs to push me harder

I think maybe we need to take an issue and hammer away without switching off

Not sure I can do that though,

OK I sense that this could be a long night, but here is why the modes are important:

1) You have an emotional need that needs to be met - eg love, expression of anger, expression of fear or shame, need to be heard or validated

2) The Punitive Parent mode views needs as bad, wrong or shameful, and comes in to punish you (or rather, Little T) when you try to express those needs

3) Chronic frustration of needs leads to build up of strong emotion eg anger, and this comes out impulsively and destructively, either at the self (via self-hraming or attacking actions thru the PP mode, such as when you tell us how shit you are) or at others via the Angry Child. Again the PP mode may come along after a break into AC.

4) Strong affect - which is in itself SCREAMING OUT for the meeting of a need - may cause you to dissociate. Once you can no longer feel , you lose contact with the need and so with Little Walker.

The mode loops prevent you from ever getting your real emotional needs (which may be so buried you do not even realise you have them) met and so you stay stuck.

The aim of therapy SHOULD be to keep you in Vulnerable Child (Little T) mode, so that all of the buried emotion can truly come out. But the reason its important is because the modes are themselves the barriers to better ways. If you like, they are the 'cycles' I mentioned, but personified.

You may like to figure out what mode your 'crisis' posts are - I get the impression that you are craving validation and understanding when you are in that mode, but its one that only experiences panic, isolation and fear because it is so rapidly flipping between VC and PP - literally a rapis succession of self-abuse. The aim in VC is to feel sadness, so that the therapist can actually provide comfort to Little T. This is the aim of the therapy relationship, and its why currently you are at an impasse. You are not able to let James in and comfort Little T - because she is in a corner being scremaed at by PP who is saying "make sure everyone knows what a piece of shit you are or Ill beat you".

you dont have to do this

sorry to be such a burden to you

ed. it makes sense - James said he can see me crashing between vc, pp and others during every session

you dont have to do this

sorry to be such a burden to you

Hey lookie, I meant the shoutie bit as a joke, sorry if it came off bad. read the post above, hopefully it will tell you why the mode work is important.

Archived