Mental Health Forums

Compulsive Lying

Aamanee

No compulsive lying is not a part of OCD as such.

However it can be a compulsion to lie a lot.

Do you want to tell us more about this?? Maybe together we can shed some light on it.

Lilly

I seem to lie to people about feelings , things that have happened , not tell them what am thinking or planning

I try not to but some thing is telling me to do it and it i dont i dont feel safe at all

they get to close and i panic

I dont know if am explaining this right

Aamanee

If how you're explaining it is how it feels to you then you are explaining it right :)

It does make sense to me, I had a partner who would lie and I think he would do it when he felt unsafe and panicked too.

You don't have to answer but what do you think would happen if you told the truth at those times?

I think I understand so it is about trust maybe, you do not trust the people around you with the truth, you are afraid of what they might do with the knodwledge??

Maybe it would help you if you slowly with people you trust the most tell the truth more and then see what happends.

Youve told the truth here about your lying thats a great step.

Its a great thing to be able to trust people and share your feelings, they can then in turn support you and we all need that. So I hope you can take little steps to overcome this.

Lilly

I have lost friends because of lying i have no friends at all the only person who have stuck by me is my husband i tell him the truth and he understand why i have lied he thinks am just trying to be safe by not telling the truth

I am trying to become a better person by trying not to lie and be a good Muslim

In the past people have used things i have told them to hurt me I had a friend who did this to me in the past I told him about my abuse and he called me names and would use it as a way to make me feel bad

Hi, I'm sorry you've lost friends. Having your friend call you names after you put your trust in them is a terrible thing to have happened.

I understand about wanting to be a better person but lying doesn't make you a bad person, there's a reason why and it's not done with bad intent to anyone. Try to be kind to yourself and maybe doing things to raise on your self esteem and confidence would help you to fear trusting people with the truth.

Archived