Mental Health Forums

Scalp Scratching... Driving Me Crazy!

pinkpixie

:huh:

I started scratching my scalp about two years ago when I quit smoking cigarettes and when I put a stop to my other vices (drugs and alcohol) about a year ago, the obsession has just increased to the point I scratch my head until it bleeds and then proceed to pick at the scabs when it starts to heal. It has a soothing effect and I can do it without even realising. It makes trips to the hairdresser somewhat embarrassing and drives my partner nuts. He doesn't understand that it is like an obsessive complusion. Does anyone else have this problem? I have read it is a form of OCD... I have the thoughts and other madness that OCD entails but I really want to stop the head scratching....

Amanda

Hi Amanda: I have trichotillomania....I pull my hair out. It got so bad quite a few years ago that I shaved my head. I'm trying....or keep trying.....to grow it back. I also have OCD. "Skin-picking" and "hair-pulling" are two issues addressed by some organizations such as the Trichotillomania Learning Center, based in California, USA. You might want to log on to that site. Also check out the Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation (ocfoundation.org). There is a British obsessive-compulsive organization as well. (I don't know if you're from Europe or the States). At any rate, what you do sounds like these issues that are addressed by these organizations; it sounds more along the lines of skin-picking.

• 3 weeks later...

I suffer dermatitis on various parts of my body (mainly my hands and arms) and my scalp

the dermatologist thinks I may have psoriasis also

i use special scalp treatment and am only allowed to use the mildest shampoo i can find (baby shampoo i use)

i get cuts, abrasions, sores just from brushing my hair or scratching my head

so i do know how it feels, I feel my head for bumps and scabs a few times a day and have to pick them off

and i dont mean just pick them off

my fingers might aswell be a scalpel, the force that i use

i then pull the scab out of my hair, to the point that sometimes even my hair comes out at the root

it leaves my scalp even more sore bit if i dont do it i feel uneasy//irritated/anxious

I've also been a hair puller since I was very small. mostly when im upset, thinking or in a dissociative state

maybe get yourself to the doctors? of if you have a CPN/Pdoc speak to them when you next see them?

Im relieved to know that im not the only one doing this.

i was starting to think i was some sort of freak (no offence)

Hope you get it sorted, I know how uncomfortable it can be

:huh:

I started scratching my scalp about two years ago when I quit smoking cigarettes and when I put a stop to my other vices (drugs and alcohol) about a year ago, the obsession has just increased to the point I scratch my head until it bleeds and then proceed to pick at the scabs when it starts to heal. It has a soothing effect and I can do it without even realising. It makes trips to the hairdresser somewhat embarrassing and drives my partner nuts. He doesn't understand that it is like an obsessive complusion. Does anyone else have this problem? I have read it is a form of OCD... I have the thoughts and other madness that OCD entails but I really want to stop the head scratching....

Amanda

Hi,

Im a fellow head scratcher, been doing it since i was about 13. Its worse when i anxious or upset, when im that bad, i put a cap/hat on....sometimes works, sometimes ya hand wanders under the hat. I've never spoke to any health pro's about it, but I do have OCD, so i assume they are related.

x

I've been doing it for years. Ever since i burnt part of my scalp with blonde hair dye. If I'm not doing that I'm pulling hairs out of my arms. Half the time I don't even realise I'm doing it. Mine doesn't seem as full on as yours though. You need to find a way of not doing it long enough for it to heal, because I know it's impossible to stop whilst there is a bump or two there. Have you tried chewing gum? It might sound daft but concentrating on chewing might help reduce the urge. It does for me sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Can I just say that I have been picking and scratching at my scalp for at least the past 15 years, and I seriously can't stop. I also can't help picking at spots, to the point where I know I am making myself look like shit but I really can't stop myself. My scalp is always sore, and I'm too embarrassed to go to the hair dressers! In fact, I really seriously want to stop doing it right now so i can get hair extensions done, but even on a day like today where I am making a conscious effort not to do it, I would say my hand unconsciously goes to scratch probably hundreds of times!

It does make me feel better to know that other people do it too, as it's like a dirty secret for me, I never talk about it, and pray that people don't notice me doing it!! (I try not to do it in public, but I still do sometimes!!)

I am going for a psychological assessment in a few weeks time for that and other things, I'm really looking forward to it, I had a telephone screen yesterday and told them all these things, I actually feel like a weight has been lifted as I'm so secretive about these things!!!!

Peace and love to everyone on here!! x :P

Hi krazy kitten,

very nice to meet u, Welcome 2 the site! Yes really think your pschological services can help a lot with this. I have ocd, mine is to do with hand washing n thinking I'm going 2 pick up germs etc. I've only started some cbt specifically for this. Have had 3 sessions so far. It takes some work but I think I can start to see that it this could really help me, think it will be a long process though (well for me anyway just because I have lots of other things going on) but I know for some people cbt can work fairly quickly.

I've herd a lot of people have exactly the same thing as you, (scalp scratching, skin picking). all aspects of ocd are much more common than people think, so we're not alone!

Oh yes just was going to check is your scalp actually itching when you scratch? Just wondered as it could help with the compulsion if you used something to soothe your scalp. anyway hope u have a good evening, c u around the site! Xx : )

Hi sorry I must have gone totally loopy, or it was something to do with the website change over, could only see krazy kittens response but now I see it was started by Pink pixie, really sorry again, silly old me!!! xx : )

It's really interesting a reassuring to see that many other people have this problem too.

Thanks for the welcome Butterfly girl :lol: I'd love to try CBT. No, my head doesn't even itch, I have no excuse!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

also a compulsive head skin scratcher...

I have really bad psorisis ( apologise on SP) and it drives my boyfriend crazy because i pick at it constantly. moreso when im nervous and irritated, my skin is red and bleeding most nights and i still cant stop.

i use polytar on my hair but it doesnt stop me. I just cant give it up........

• 2 months later...

also a compulsive head skin scratcher...

I have really bad psorisis ( apologise on SP) and it drives my boyfriend crazy because i pick at it constantly. moreso when im nervous and irritated, my skin is red and bleeding most nights and i still cant stop.

i use polytar on my hair but it doesnt stop me. I just cant give it up........

Me too! I have psarosis and i can't stop picking. I've noticed that my hair has started to fall out and I'm really thin at the back of my head now. I've got unruly curly hair which I hate so I tie it up all the time which only makes my scalp condition worse. since I've started picking I've got all these scabs on my head which I can't stop picking (at least 4-5 times a day) and it's really sore. I just don't pick but I also eat the scabs as well. I have also started pulling out my hair thick curly hair on my head tends to be my preference and now I've noticed a bald spot. I know I need to see a doctor, I just hate going to the doctor!! I have thought about getting all my hair shaved off to try and stop the scalp condition and also to stop me from picking but my boyf would hate me having short hair. I used to get meds for my scalp prescribed from my Dr but I have a feeling in France I will need to see the dermatologist and I don't like seeing new doctors due to the language barrier. Urghhh!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

huh.gif

Amanda

hi amanda im using some special shampo from the docter its great ill try an get the name for u x

Archived