Mental Health Forums

Any Trichotillomaniacs Out There?

saskia

I've been suffering from trichotillomania (compulsive hair-pulling) for 12 years. I only discovered recently that this is a medical condition - before that I just thought I was total freak and never told anyone. I still haven't told anyone but I feel so relieved to know that I'm not the only one. I get these uncontrollable urges to pluck the hair from my legs and pubic area - I can do this for hours on end, until there's no hair left and my skin is raw. It's like I'm in a trance when I'm doing it but when I'm finished I feel so sick with myself. I can't seem to identify what triggers it - I pull when I'm down, I pull when I'm bored, I pull when I'm happy.. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Have any of you managed to stay pull-free??

i pull my hair out when im switched in my 3 year old alter but i dont do it when im not switched.. its horrible .. i end up with clupmps torn out.. i feel for you .. i know for me when my 3 year old comes out shes expressing distress that she cant put into words, prob a bit like self harm.. i hope you can get help for it, but keep posting, im sure there will be others who do this . hugs faerie x

I do not have this but wondered if you ever thought about getting help for it? You do not have to be ashamed there are more people who suffer with this and help is availeble.

Lilly

I know I shouldn't be ashamed to tell anyone but I can't get the words out. It feels like such a private and secret activity it would be like describing how you masturbate or something!

i dont have this, but i do something similir when i get the urge to self harm. i pluck my eyebrows or the hairs on my legs... weird but it kinda calms me down... for a little while. its just one of those things that i do to keep me sane i guess.

i think it would be an idea to get some help, at least to try and find a trigger... do you have any OCD traits as well? cause that might be a part of it x

Archived