Mental Health Forums

Thinking About My Thoughts

saskia

There are these thoughts that have been bothering me over the past couple of weeks. I feel these urges to do things that would disturb people. I'm a teacher so a typical thought would be "mmm I could just lie down on the floor in the middle of my lesson and go to sleep" or "i could walk out of here and refuse to come back" or "I could stand stock still and start dribbling and weeing on the floor." It sounds silly now that I'm reading it back but sometimes the thoughts are more serious, like when I'm crossing a busy road "I could just step out in front of that bus." They scare me because I feel like I just don't care what the consequences will be and I am worried that I won't be able to control myself and I'll end up acting on these thoughts. Sometimes it feels like there's someone else inside my head tempting me to do these things. They're never violent to anyone except myself and are mostly things that would confuse or disgust people. This isn't the first time I've felt like this.

Does anyone else get this??

x

Saskia, yes I get them. Not so much now as is a fog of medication. But I get them a lot! It's OK though as long as they are just thoughts and you don't act them out. If you start acting them out you need to get some help with it. Talk to your doctor. If you find the thoughts are bothering you quite a lot you should talk to your doctor anyway. They are called intrusive thoughts and can be a symptom of mental illness. I used to get all sorts of visions like running away and killing myself or jumping off a building. But as my illness got worse I started to act out the running away thing and found myself wondering round Manchester in a daze after trying to throw myself off a car park or something. Anyway, these are my thoughts.

There are these thoughts that have been bothering me over the past couple of weeks. I feel these urges to do things that would disturb people. I'm a teacher so a typical thought would be "mmm I could just lie down on the floor in the middle of my lesson and go to sleep" or "i could walk out of here and refuse to come back" or "I could stand stock still and start dribbling and weeing on the floor." It sounds silly now that I'm reading it back but sometimes the thoughts are more serious, like when I'm crossing a busy road "I could just step out in front of that bus." They scare me because I feel like I just don't care what the consequences will be and I am worried that I won't be able to control myself and I'll end up acting on these thoughts. Sometimes it feels like there's someone else inside my head tempting me to do these things. They're never violent to anyone except myself and are mostly things that would confuse or disgust people. This isn't the first time I've felt like this.

Does anyone else get this??

x

i do get this sometimes when im down...esp the walking in front of a bus thing!they are just thoughts and like roses said its only a worry if you start to act on them...then you should seek help

xxx

Yes I get this, like the urge to spit food in someones face when I am talking to them.

It doesnt bother me so much because I realise they are just unexpressed emotions that really mean something else, coming from inside. I dont let my conscious mind try to analyse it in a way that makes me into a bad guy anymore, after all, it was the subconscious (and so uncontrollable) part of me that came up with it, not my conscious choice.

This is a bit like that thread about unusual sexual urges. They are just urges. When you realise that our brains are half made of animal brains, and that our higher, human brain sits on top largely riding the strom of the animal brain, you can sit back abd say "oh thats just my animal brain coming up with silly things that I need to deal with later, but right now I choose not to act on it. Unless you are having a bad psychotic episode you will usually have choice - after all, you havent done it yet. Its only the fear if acting it out that is really upsetting you at the moment. You wont, but you ARE punishing yourself for it being there.

Archived