Mental Health Forums

Counting?

NeedAName

I'd just like to understand what counting means, I've read one a few websites that it is a symptom of OCD but I just don't understand how and in what context.

I mean I find myself counting in my head to block out certain things I don't want to think about, but I haven't thought of that being an obsession, I'll explain more of this if you want me to. But really really I'm just curious as to what the counting obsession is and how it affects a person.

I don't know much about OCD.

I don't have OCD but I do count and I used to run my tongue around inside of my teeth and I always spell words backwards as well as forwards and try to make patterns with sounds. It can be a sign of high IQ as brain is bored so you constantly needing things to stimulate you. My IQ is 138. It is OCD when you cannot stop doing it for fear of something bad happening or if you are compelled to repeat actions a certain number of times. My brother has OCD and he is contantly checking things and straightening things and you should see his sock drawer man - immaculate! We all have our quirks and our 'things' that we do. I think is only OCD if it impacts on your life cos you can't live without it.

hey there. How're you doing?

Is it a constant thing, or does it happen more frequently or more noticably when you are feeling stressed or anxious etc?

Is is something that causes you concern when you think about it? Do you have a worker or some other professional who is aware of it? Just some things to think about maybe, dont feel you have to answer here.

From what i know about the counting aspect of ocd, it seems to manifest differently in different people.. For me it is more of a background thought... Where i have the typical 'gotta wash my hair' 'where did i put my baccy?' thoughts, but then underneath i find myself counting my steps etc. and im not really aware of the fact that im counting unless there is a pause in my other, more...'controlled' thoughts.

Also, a time when it's really apparent to me is just after i cross a road, i have to count to thirteen and click my fingers twice and clap my hands once before the next car gets level with me on the side of the road i've just crossed to.

(yes, i do look like a loon! :P but endearingly so! )

Dont think im being much help, sorry, but wanted to give you a reply.

Take care, Much love, Crip xxx

Crip, you've just explained perfectly what I was trying to express that it becomes a ritual that must be performed rather than just a thought flitting in and out it is a thought that is recurring and demands a response. Don't know if I should just shutup though. Sorry. xxx

It can be a sign of high IQ as brain is bored so you constantly needing things to stimulate you.

No when I'm bored I count ceiling tiles and try to work out an estimate area for the ceiling or do maths in my head :lol:

I count when I'm walking if a thought that I don't like comes into my head because if I don't block the thought I think I will end up getting upset, which I don't want to do in public and I always end up on a multiple of 10. I've considered thinking of words begining with a certain letter but counting is so much easier.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to how counting can affect someone, although thinking about it, if it's counting things before leaving the house out of fear of something, then yeah I can understand how it would affect their life, especilly time-management. Nevermind, I've answered my own question, something that has been bugging me for days that was.

Is it a constant thing, or does it happen more frequently or more noticably when you are feeling stressed or anxious etc?

I start counting when I'm anxious I would say, stress I just tend to get odd pains in my leg.

Is is something that causes you concern when you think about it? Do you have a worker or some other professional who is aware of it? Just some things to think about maybe, dont feel you have to answer here.

I've not told anyone I count in my head till this post, it's not something I personally worry about for me, I'm just curious as to the whole counting thing in general.

From what i know about the counting aspect of ocd, it seems to manifest differently in different people.. For me it is more of a background thought... Where i have the typical 'gotta wash my hair' 'where did i put my baccy?' thoughts, but then underneath i find myself counting my steps etc. and im not really aware of the fact that im counting unless there is a pause in my other, more...'controlled' thoughts.

Also, a time when it's really apparent to me is just after i cross a road, i have to count to thirteen and click my fingers twice and clap my hands once before the next car gets level with me on the side of the road i've just crossed to.

That's intresting, I've counted my steps before I think, but never some for of action after doing something.

Oh I don't know, it doesn't sound too odd.

It's okay, I don't mind, thanks for the reply!

i count and i tap my feet or fingers in certain rythms and then have to repeat them with the other hand or foot. i count in my head in sets of 100 when i'm stressed or frightened. it helps to calm me. as a kid i did the whole not stepping on the cracks stuff, but also had to touch certain walls or hedges on the way home from school or count my steps etc. it can be very annoying when i'm stuck counting and can't stop. fortunately i do it a lot less now.

Hi,

Not sure its the same for everyone, but i'll example my versions; If i look accross my bedroom now, there is a chest of drawers, with six knobs on, if im in an anxious state, i will count the knobs 1-6 over and over again, it just feels natural to do it. Another way is using counting by way of my checking ritual, like for example; checking i have turned the cooker hobs off, checking each 3times.... 3 is usually the number but somethings have different number like, if im sick i gotta brush my teeth 26times, obviously counting as i do it. And i often find myself counting things like bricks and ceiling tiles. Hope that helps.

XxX

Bloody hell girly, are we twins?

Ok, i don't do the clicking fingers or clapping hands, but the counting is there, always there...and 13 is a prominent number.

I count when i cross the road, when i go up and down stairs, constantly, when i clicking my teeth together in a made up rythm, wheni chew my tongue etc etc etc....when all the other chaotic thoughts are gone, there is only counting left. I don't always start from 1. sometimes i start from a totally random number.

I've always wondered if it's just me or not. I would not call myself obsessive, but there are things like the counting, my inability to touch a dish cloth, my inability to touch cotton wool or eat a dry biscuit, the list goes on.

Sorry to go off topic here, but does anyone else forget things like which hand they usually use to brush their teeth, or get into the bath and then panic that you might still have some clothes on, or sit down for a wee and panic that you might still have your knickers pulled up? Ask a question, and then completely forget you've asked it when the other person answers you you're wondering what the hell they're talking about? Forget which wrist you normally wear your watch, even though you wear it, and brush your teeth, every single day?

Bloody hell girly, are we twins?

Ok, i don't do the clicking fingers or clapping hands, but the counting is there, always there...and 13 is a prominent number.

I count when i cross the road, when i go up and down stairs, constantly, when i clicking my teeth together in a made up rythm, wheni chew my tongue etc etc etc....when all the other chaotic thoughts are gone, there is only counting left. I don't always start from 1. sometimes i start from a totally random number.

I've always wondered if it's just me or not. I would not call myself obsessive, but there are things like the counting, my inability to touch a dish cloth, my inability to touch cotton wool or eat a dry biscuit, the list goes on.

Sorry to go off topic here, but does anyone else forget things like which hand they usually use to brush their teeth, or get into the bath and then panic that you might still have some clothes on, or sit down for a wee and panic that you might still have your knickers pulled up? Ask a question, and then completely forget you've asked it when the other person answers you you're wondering what the hell they're talking about? Forget which wrist you normally wear your watch, even though you wear it, and brush your teeth, every single day?

Ooh forgot one...does anyone else say something in their head and then repeat it so many times that you find yourself doing it and get really really sick of it, like a child that sits there making the same repetitive annoying sound over and over again and you just want to shout 'Shut the fuck up'.? But you don't seem to be able to stop saying it.

get into the bath and then panic that you might still have some clothes on, or sit down for a wee and panic that you might still have your knickers pulled up? Ask a question, and then completely forget you've asked it when the other person answers you you're wondering what the hell they're talking about?

Yeah all the time.. and like walking down the street and panicing that ive forgotten to put my trousers on..... eventhough i can see them i can convince myself that im hallucinating, and that im actually butt naked.

Ooh forgot one...does anyone else say something in their head and then repeat it so many times that you find yourself doing it and get really really sick of it, like a child that sits there making the same repetitive annoying sound over and over again and you just want to shout 'Shut the fuck up'.? But you don't seem to be able to stop saying it.

Yeah i usually get real pissed off and shout "shut the fuck up, fucking idiot"....and yeah in public.

Got a weird thing with starbucks, the thought or sight of it makes me repeat it over and over out loud in like a mexican accent... ahhh started myself off now........no-one will go out with me shopping coz of this.... or go for meals with me coz of my ordered way of eating lol.....is bit freaky.

XxX

Archived