Mental Health Forums

O.c.d. Or Psychotic Thoughts?

Shelley

I get these thoughts in my head sometimes for some time now. One is when im hoovering, I get a strong urge to use the atachment hose to suck out my eyes. Another is when im on the toilet and the sink is right in front of me I get the urge to smash my top teeth on the sink. If I go to have lunch with my mum I get the strong urge to stick a knife in her face. Any thoughts as to why im getting these impulsive/intrusive thoughts???

I get these kinds of impulsive thoughts also, and my T says its an obsessive thing caused by anxiety, but i'm sorry i really can't say why you get these thoughts.

I do hope that they aren't troubling you too much

xxx

Is your mind processing stuff. I used to get terrible visions of things happening to kids or me doing stuff to myself. They are frightening but are defo not OCD. Is just mind in overdrive. Medication can help with this and slow it all down for you. So can relaxation and meditation which is why a lot of mh professionals recommend yoga and tai chi and stuff. Deep breathing exercises help as does relaxation CD's - water music and dolphin song and stuff like that. xxx

I have no idea but I get them too. Only I definitely suspect OCD because there are certain things I do as well which are TOTALLY weird.

Similarly to your lunch fiasco, I can't have steak knives anywhere in sight of me when I'm out. I once went to a pub for lunch with my partner and had a strong urge to stab him with it - I eventually had to ask the lady to take it away. In fact, all sharp objects have to be out of my sight at all times. I've had panic and anxiety attacks because of these strange, repetitive thoughts that I get that just won't go away.

As long as you recognise that the thoughts are distressing or upsetting then I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's when you enjoy them that you've got a problem!

Archived