Mental Health Forums

Any Help...ocd? Not Sure

*elizabeth*

i have a stressful job, many a days a get up 2 5 panic attacks and self harm myself at work.

i wash my hands constantly at work (approx every 17 mins) and wipe the loo seat before i use it, but only at work, is this ocd or just stress?

some help please....

x

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't say as I'm no professional, but I believe we all have a little OCD within us.

Sorry I can't be much help. I have pretty severe OCD myself and CBT really helps with it, perhaps you should contact your GP if it is becoming a problem.

Rachel xxx

If you wash your hands every 17 minutes, do you work in a very dirty or contaminated(biohazardous, toxic, etc) environment? If not, perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a chat with your doctor. OCD is nothing to be ashamed of, that's the most important thing to remember. Do you have it? who knows? A lot of questions have to be asked & answered prior to making that sort of determination. As "crackers" points out, a lot of people have obsessive and/or compulsive tendencies. One of the many determining factors as to whether you have OCD(an actual disorder), or not, is if these traits interfere in your ability to function.

Ex.: Ruminations - ask anyone you know if, sometimes, they have thoughts racing around their head at night, making it difficult for them to go to sleep. Don't be too surprised if 100% of the people you ask say, "yes!" That's a tendency. Whether, or not, it would be considered a disorder would depend, among other things, on; frequency, intensity, & effect.

Don't allow a fear of being embarassed stop you from having a word in your doctor's ear. If anything, you're being proactive &, like dealing with the onset of the common cold, that's always a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Archived