Mental Health Forums

What Do You Get Obsessive About?

bumblepipi

Squareness, if there are books or a cup with a handle or a tv or a bin or food or remotes or nion everything that has a physical form to it then I usually have to make them square either with me or the surface that they are on.

If i am sat down in a room with people i try my best to not have my feet pointing toward them.

If a car passes me while im on foot and its coming from behind I rush forward so that a parked car, car coming the other way or a tree or something is inbetween me and the car as it passes.

I love blood and find it very beautiful and facsinating (that sounds more disturbing than it really is btw :P)

I cannot stand for anybody to touch my wrists or the underside of my forearms. I only let people do so when i have absolute trust in them with my life (i dont even do so myself most of the time) it also tends to arouse me quite severely when someone is capable of doing so for some reason. But even just thinking about it or seeing someone elses can freak me out alot.

I never leave meat wen eating a meal - no matter how full or sick i feel - i will finish any meat if there is any.

I work out in sets of 16 always (16 being my predetermined lucky number via calculating it with maths @.@)

To me a 'promise' - is law.

I love sharp things and wenever i see one i rub it against my skin.

Wen cyclying i feel the need to go up and down every single lowered bit of curb i see.

I tend to become obsessed with a particular person - much like someone else said i think - i end up thinking about them all the time and the thought of them invades every facet of my life - i txt them all of the time. They are sometimes just a friend to me tho.

I do not share drinks with anybody unless i want to or have been 'with' them. Cos i think it is absolutely disgusting. I also think sharing food is disgusting - accepting leftovers and such.

Dare not tickle me... :P

There's loads mor, but i think i've demonstrated my weirdo enough for today

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im like you Narcissa.. I get obsessive about people

I even have a fake facebook account so i can stalk their facebook pages!

how scarey am I LOL!

my skin, mental health, my goals, how much fun other people are having, scratches on my DVD's :angry: :angry: (child is not the culprit, ex is), pleasing people, myself, whether or not my kid is happy, her health, her weight, whether to get a dog or not.

I get obsessive compulsions in the morning. I will suddenly have a word pop into my head, and its like my body gies "MUST FIND OUT DEFINITION OF WORD". Or there was this mornings one. I am an engineer by background. Suddenly I thought about movie special effects, and then that scene where Hannibal comes out of the swamp in the animal suit in the A-Team (yeah that hannibal, not the father-bean-eating other one lol) and pulls back the flap so he can smoke a cigar. Its the scene they used to replay in the title seqience every week.

Suddnly my brain LATCHED onto the NEED to figure out how that flap worked, and was trying to create all these thin wire meshes and things. I actually started to feel really uncomfy in my body because it was going "Noooo!! Must figure out!!". What I do now is use mindfulness - just be aware of the physical pain it causes and focus on it, letting the thoughts go. It subsides quite quickly :)

Ross

I'm laughing at this thread because it's a relief to know other people do the same obsessive things that I do. I have so many weird obsessive things that I wouldn't know where to start writing about it.

And as I'm washing my hands, I splash water over the tap handles to rinse off the germs I put on them by turning them on!

I do that too.

• 4 weeks later...

dont post often but i am compelled to reply to this thread....

time is a major factor for me i will wake before 5 in the morning if i have something planned for the day whatever time that is even if its in the evening i cannot be late for anything and have to be at least 15 minutes early if i'm later than that i consider myself late!!!

if i'm going to do something it has to be so perfect that it takes every ounce of energy that i have

i copy wish lists from catalogues including the item numbers and descriptions

i write names in alphabetical order and i have to have a name for every letter

i cant read a book if i think i wont finish it one sitting

i have to eat a whole packet of food i never like to have left overs

in fact i never like to start anything unless i can finish it all in one go even if i dont sleep

i obsess about people and find it hard to let go of that

if i text someone i expect a reply within an hour if i dont get one i start to think that person hates me

i'm sure that covers it but i dont want to bore aanyone and there maybe more but i'm worried i'll just keep going and going

kate x

I don't really know exactly, but over thinking, over analyzing. that lead to awareness, or resolution. Like I must remedy the dilemma I am struggling with today as soon as possible so I am able to enjoy living and the rest of my day.

Also, I am quite tidy/organized, but I don't think that is anything more than being house proud.

I have been told I only have slightly obsessive tendencies, but I would say I can fall into the obsessive love category at the drop of a hat.

Sah

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything i say and have said did i say it right was i rude or socially akward. Everything that comes on the tele i have to make sense of or i cant rest. Being late. Routine for morning even the order in which i do everuthing if its interrupted i freak. I over analyze and constantly striving or making excuses for not achieving my goals. Other peoples lives and weather i live up to others expectations though they may not exist. Food in general calories exercise food poisining. Layouts of my rooms everything has a place and must stay there and be put back or straight before every activity work meal bedtime. Crumbs we all have a little ocd im sure x

I obsess about everything i have OCD and it rules my life, i wash my hair 12 times in a row when i shower, won't pick the first item of a shelf it has to be the 4th, drink out of a certain cup but i have to rinse it out 12 times before that, there are too many to mention, i am so controlled by OCD.

I'm obsessive about horse riding and horses in general, and doing well at shows, and learning as much as I can.

I'm obsessive at times about house work, and other times I lose my drive and could care less about it.

I'm obsessive about the internet at times which isn't healthy for me at all!

I get obsessed with computer games so I avoid them now.

I'm obsessed with improving my mental health, and helping others in the same boat.

I'm obsessed in my faith in God and in a brighter future where all things come together.

I guess I go through stages, I'll get obsessed rather quickly but other than the above things, the obsession often wears off not long after.

WP

I check my phone obsessively every few minutes. I check for texts, then I check facebook, here and another forum that I'm part of. I panic if my phone isn't in my pocket or my bag. It never leaves my side.

• 4 weeks later...

I am obssessed with words. I write e-mails over and over, especially at work. It can take ages to get the sentence structures running smoothly. Then I check the grammer and spelling - my grammer is appauling.

Text messages are bad too, depending on who they are too. Simple things like, 'Hey do you wanna go out?' are ok, but as soon as it gets personal I worry about using the wrong word.

Sometimes I write messages and then don't send them, I look at the clock and realise I've spent half an hour musing over a piece of shit. Sometimes I have a panic attack after sending a message and that doesn't end until I get a reply.

I know my probem is not OCD but more of a social anxiety thing. These things do seem to cross over though.

I have many other minor obsessions, but I won't bore you wth those...

odd numbers, everything has to be odd, even down to how many potatoes i have on my dinner.

i have a fear of green.

i have to have things facing the rigfht way in the cupboards etc.

i have to put my left arm/leg into things first

i have to step into places with my ;left foot first

i cannot eat out of packets that have been opened upside down.

there are prob many more...

I am the opposite to you with numbers, I have an issue with odd numbers, I cannot even have the radio/tv volume on an odd number - I go beserk

All groceries are put in exactly the same place ever month

I also wont eat out of packets that are upside down

I wont eat if my food on my plate touches

My couches have to be on certain lines on the tiled floor

If my matress is moved slightly off the base of the bed i feel like i want to hyperventilate

I walk around the house at night and 'fix' things - things that are out of place etc

Oh and my fridge, every thing has a place on the shelf... I hate it when someone moves it.

If I am writing something out by hand, and it doesn't look neat or I make a mistake, then I have to start all over again, it doesn't matter how much I have written, it could be a few words or a few pages, it all has to be written out again.

Also, because in the past, my family used to go through my personal things, everything now has a place, and I can tell if something has been moved, even if it is just an ornament thats been slightly moved it annoys more.

I cannot stand other people being in my personal space

I probably have more, but they were the two I could think of

xxx

I have this obsession with my breathing, and not breathing at certain times in certain places and people. Example, in the car and elevator, I will cover my mouth and nose with my hand or sleeve as I think the air is unclean. Also at home, I have to wear a jacket or I don't feel comfortable and feel everyone is staring at me. I also use my jacket sleeve to do everything, such as handle the remote, open th fridge, door handles etc..

Basically everything except my room. I also havw this obsession with opening and closing one eye at a time, also known as tics.

Can get rather embarrassing if anyone catches me and i have to pretend there is something in my eye. :S

Turquoise. I want everything turquoise. Also have a minor problem with time. I want to do everything at either the top of the hour, 15 minutes after, 30 minutes after, or 45 minutes after. For example, I don't like leaving the house at 20 minutes after the hour. For years this carried over into how much time I put on the microwave. I had to put 15 or 30 seconds on it, couldn't put any time in between. I've gotten over that, though, by forcing myself to put in 13 seconds, 17 seconds, etc.

I obsess about getting things right.Everything has to be perfect or i will not be happy.

I have to turn a certain way when turning around

I have to walk a certain way

Germs. Obivously i wash my hands after going to the toilet.Probably twice or i just scrub hard and long.

I wash them after i touch the bin or i get my bro to put whatever i want into the bin for me.I will not touch the bin if i really have to.

Wash them after i wash the ware, after i put my clothes into the washing machine,after i prepare food,after i wash my hair

Hate shaking peoples hands -germ factor and wash my hands after i do.

Door handles annoy me.

Shower every day except i miss a day here and there as i have m.e and fibromyalgia which prevents me physically from showering.

Clothes hangers have to be turned inwards and hoodys on the left pants on the right.

Archived