Mental Health Forums

Risperidone

axtell1080

I was on if for 2 years, was the best drug ever for me after loads of others that didnt help.

Im lucky with side-effects, rarely get them (any that last anyway), and didnt notice any with risperidone. Really helped a lot with moodswings and occasional mild psychosis

reb

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE it. I was anti-medication after trying about 6 or 7 different types of anti-depressant. The side effects were really bad with those; my daughter was always the single biggest reason for not following through with suicide but on one SSRI I decided I could just take her with me. Stopped that one in a big hurry.

But I finally realized that the weird beliefs I had and scary visions were not normal and fessed up to the psychologist when he evaluated me for BPD (after I was determined as having treatment-resistant depression). This is week 2 of being on risperidone (week 1 was .5 mg but now I'm on 1 mg per day) and I'm thrilled and surprised that there is actually a medication that can help me.

My moods have stabilized. Actually, my emotions are kind of blunted but I'm okay with that. I also have a child to raise so being able to finally stay calm (even when the teenager is shrieking) is a HUGE improvement. I no longer see weird lights flying around people's heads. I don't see the shadow people anymore. And I don't wake up screaming anymore. The paranoia has also eased up a bit, making it easier for me to be around other people.

So far the side effects are minimal. A bit of shortness of breath, some muscle stiffness, a little bit of spaciness. And I've been having a bit of trouble achieving orgasm (but nothing darling fiance can't overcome).

Everyone reacts differently to meds. I'm grateful and relieved that I finally found one that helps.

Hi,

I was on Risperidone finally, was the best med I ever had. I was on 2mg daily but didnt zonk me; along with suppressing mild psychosis at this dose it stopped the extreme constant moodswings which were unmanagable for me. Its proved both common and effective for BPD treatment for a lot of people despite (as has been said) being originally a shizophrenia med. Good luck, give it a try for a few weeks before you dismiss it. Also no weight gain!

reb

• 3 years later...

I took it for about 3 months and was fine on it so I went on holiday to spain on a boat, Which was for 8 days on the first day felt funny. But by

that night I couldn't sleep or eat and I had to be on the move 24/7 . I was like that the whole time I was scared as I didn't know was going on, My friend were also scared as they thought I was going mad. I went straight to my doctor who told me I was have a very bad case of the siderfecks and give me an injection and I have to take sideerfeck tablet for a month or more of which I took 3 tablets a day.

• 3 months later...

Archived