Mental Health Forums

Is It Ocd

Georgie92

Hiya,

Basically, I'm not sure quite what or have, or even if it's just a series of quirks, but I thought I'd ask people to know.

Firstly, I like to have everything in odd numbers, specifically threes, but I'm not bothered as long as it's odd. I'm also okay with six because within that you can form a triangle so 3, 2, 1. Then there is that I spend a lot of time tapping out a 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 pattern on repeat, and sometimes copying it out in dot form for pages and pages.

Also, when going up stairs where I work I have to tap the banistairs when they are over the twisty pole things. Also have to have sound for my computer/telly on a multiple of 5.

I also have a strict bedtime routine. I have to cut my nails, then cut off any skin which looks thick, specifically on my feet, and make sure I have no earwax.

I am in no way superstitious, but if I see a single magpie I have to make a circle with the thumb and index finger of my left hand and break the ring with my right index finger.

I will also get the urge to do things randomly, which if I don't do I think some unspecified bad thing is going to happed.

I also have to have everything at right angles, especially in terms of my desk.

When I was younger I was a lot worse, at about 8 I was terrified there were chemicals on my hands so I was terrified to touch my eyes, and then from 11-13 was convinced my hands were dirty. I would wash my hands, go to bed and if I touched anything before going to sleep, my skin or my duvet, I would have to rewash them.

I also cannot stand hearing people eat or breath, it physically repulses me and makes me feel, I don't know, sort of jumpy.

Also, when playing solitaire, I have to have the aces in suit order diamond, club, heart, spade and finish with the correct kings beneath the correct ace. If not I don't count the win. If I lose I restart my statistics.

I also have to check that I've locked the bathroom door, which is something I will leave my shower several times to check.

Is it OCD or just general insanity :)

Some more stuff just occured to me; I have to put lids on pens so the long part of the lid is alligned to any text on the pen.

I keep track of time very specifically, I like to work out how long something is going to take and then keep a record and count down, especially if I'm planning a day or have a test or something.

I hate dust because it's dead skin which I can't cope with, so if I see it anywhere I have to try and get rid of it. It's always bad on people's front doors.

If I'm arranging something it has to be equidistant, symetrycal and equal in size and shape to everything else.

That's all for now. :)

wow you just 95% described me!!! it even made me kinda nervous when you said your solitaire thing. my order is clubs, hearts, spades, diamonds and it makes me shiver just to think of them being in any order other than that.

couldnt say whether it was OCD or not though, i do most of it and OCD has been mentioned but no official diagnosis given (dont think they wanted to make my list of 'stuff' any bigger :lol: ). i think its mainly OCD when it is affecting your everyday life badly, either through having to perform rituals or from obsessive or intrusive thoughts. basically it could be (not a very helpful answer i know sorry :rolleyes: ). if it is really affecting your ability to get on with your life and causing you distress then its worth talking to your doctor

take care :)

xxx

Yes, you have OCD. You are a counter & checker, as am I. Yes, we can consider the semantics; whether it interferes in your ability to function socially, at work, etc., but you've described obsessions & compulsions which must be performed for peace of mind. Haven't met one who prefers even numbers, yet. Are you left or right handed?

"I'm right handed. Why?

:lol: No important reason, there just seem to be an inordinate number of left-handed people whom have OCD, including myself.

Most "normal" people have obsessive and/or compulsive traits. What makes OCD a disorder is to what degree these traits interfere in your ability to lead a "normal", productive life. Interestingly, many people who suffer from OCD have high I.Q.s and can perform specific tasks at a much higher than normal rate. As one ages, the symptoms fade, dramatically.

It has been my experience that people with OCD are very creative, as if a "god" added a little colour to the, otherwise, drab, gray persona of a normal human. I can be bored out of my skull at everything the world has to offer, come onto this site, & be simply amazed by the poems, stories & drawings/designs. Unfortunately, OCD is perfectionism, so people are rarely satisfied with their own creations/abilities.

Archived