Mental Health Forums

Bpd

Data

Which of the 'DSM-IV-TR criteria' fit you?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Which symptoms of BPD do you have, or have had in the past?

• Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5]
    • A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
    • Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
    • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving). [Again, not including suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5]
    • Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
    • Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
    • Chronic feelings of emptiness, worthlessness.
    • Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
    • Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

8/9 cos I don't think I have the last one (though people who know me may disagree)

I've been sure I've got BPD ever since I first read about it around 10 years ago, but I've never got a diagnosis, in the past I just got made to feel like I read too much. I mentioned it to my current GP, but I'm not sure a standard GP is qualified to diagnosis personality disorders. How can I go about finally getting diagnosed?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that strikes me about this thread is that it's like people on here are diagnosing themselves. If you've got a diagnosis then who cares whether you've got one or all of these?

I'm saying this because I find myself thinking that no one believes I have BPD. I don't believe it some days and so it's almost like I have to convince myself I do and by extension other people.

I have been diagnosed with this and I still don't believe it some days. Today is not one of those days. I have periods of feeling pretty terrible most days but today is a bad one.

Anyway. I usually annoy people with my opinions but I don't mean to. I just think if you have been diagnosed with BPD then believe it! And if not then go see your doc and see what they say.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I agree, don't diagnose yourself. I also don't believe I have this diagnosis, though I have been diagnosed for 5 years now. I came on here todsy to check myself against the criteria again. Not sure why I need to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tick all but one.....and I'm in "recovery"!

That said, although I do fit the criteria still, it IS very manageable.

I just thought I would post this to let people know that there is life with BPD. After a lot of years (I forget, it's over 15.....) struggling. Many many hospital admissions, being detained under the MH act a few times, all that jazz, and I'm still here. Yes I am medicated, and I have had a LOT of therapy (I have been very lucky), but I have come out the other side. That isn't to say I don't still struggle, but I am living now....not just existing,

Thinking of you all, every day.

Archived