Mental Health Forums

Zopiclone

snowman

Just been prescribed zopiclone as I can't sleep.

Any experiences? Particularly worried about any hangover effects as I am trying to work full time and that could be a problem.

I've not been prescribed zopiclone I'm afraid, but I have been prescribed other hypnotics. They're not intended for long term use and mine didn't help my insomnia. If you take them as prescribed the hangover will probably not interfere with your work. If you don't suffer from mania you can supplement with stimulants so you're on the ball at work. Caffine does the trick for me. If you're that worried about hangover effects you should talk to your doc about taking it right after you're finished with work. That way any such effects will wear off by the time you go to work again.

Good luck and I hope it works for you! :D

i was on zopiclon until recently. it worked very well for me. got me off to sleep fine. its half life is arround the 5 hour mark so no real grogginess in the morning. the downside to this is that some folk wake up very early in the morning as its effects wear off. for me though, it worked wonders. can be habbit forming so be careful.

Yes I have been prescribed zopiclone(zimovane) in the past and had no problems with it at all. Recently been changed to zolpidem due to others meds alos being changed.

I would take mine about 15 mins before bedtime as it would make me sleepy rather quickly, sometimes even make me unsteady but did give me a good nights sleep with no bad effects next day. Please remember though that all meds work differently on individuals. what is good for 1 may not be so good for others, case of trial and errror really.

Should you suffer and effects next day, go straight back to GP stating this and ask for a different 1.

Take Care

Leslie x

Zopiclone and zolpidem are designed to get you to sleep, not to keep you asleep so usually after a block ofr 5/6 hours you may be disturbed until your body adjusts to a regular long night's sleep of 8+ hours. I've been on zopiclone and was on it for over a year but then got changed to zolpidem as the other stopped working.

I've never had a hangover from the sleeper. xxx

hiya

yip i was on zop for years.

psychologically addictive to those with ddictive personalities=me.

so i stopped taking them round xmas, cos i was taking the things during the day etc.

buuut, that was me. other ppl dont abuse their meds .

you are best taking them (i woz on 15mg,) as roses said i think right b4 bed, if not in bed.

and they just relax you enough to go sleep.- they dontmake you stay asleep- like dalmane. minimal hangover effects, for me anyhow.

at first in the early 90's they were hailed the new non addictive benzo type med-a benzo w/out the addictiveness etc, but then junkies like me kept eating them by the tray-full.

if you need them, take them, if you dont have an addictive to substances personality type thing going on.

the side effects are mostly a metallic taste in your mouth about 20 mins after taking, and loss of short term memory around the time you take them at.

and go to bed at a sensible hour- but you know that right...

good luck w them,

one note- i have read that they are not to be taken a) for over 3-4 weeks, and b- by ppl with personailty disorders.

i guess my pdoc ain't that good at reading.

pretty mild drug though- eh, for me, i mean. im waffling now, arnt i?

take care

a.m

hi there,

I was in zopiclone for several years, i also became addicited to it, i was on 15mgs and i was self medicating by taking a lot more, i am not to be prescribed it anymore funnily enough, but for short term i think its good, doesnt make you groggy in the morning all i will say is i used to get a nasty metallic taste in my nouth the next day- i think thats one of the side effects of it, good luck with it just be aware it can be habit forming

Paris

Hiya,

I was on zopiclone, but was only told to take them as necessary, not every night as your body gets used to it and so u need to up the dosage. Like others I didn't have any morning effects, so i hope it works out for you.

I think the advice everyone else has given is cool so hope it works out for you.

Peace(ful sleep)

Thanks all for your feedback. I picked up my prescription today so I will give it a go!!!

Night night!!!

After all that I never got the chance as my 3 year old decided to swallow a coin and I spent hours at a&e.

Think I'll try the weekend!!!

nightmare. as said, hope the little un has recovered fine and that you get on well with the zops. imo/e it is a good med if used correctly, i.e. spot use for 2 or 3 days at a time to help knock you back into a decent sleeping pattern. just watch out for the snoring :lol:

Only downside for me was a very nasty taste in my mouth when I woke that lasted all day and nothing took it away, not food or water.

Im glad zopicolne seems 2 have worked well for most.

Unfortuntley its not the same 4 everyone! I tried it once but never agian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a weird sensation that it was stopping my breathing! very scary :( so I had 2 have a drink of wine 2 make me feel better + alow me 2 fall asleep saftley!

just giving my experenice of zopiclone!

Soes im stuck with wine 2 get me 2 sleep every night!

But as long as your not one of the unfortunate ones like me, good luck! It does seem 2 work quite well 4 most! :)

forgot to say, i snored like a fog horn on zopiclon! i had to sleep in the spare room as i kept other half awake all night.

that made me laugh sooo hard :P ! Thank you!! I haven't taken it....yet.

what mg you on? i was on zopiclone 7.5 in hospital, they used to make me take at like 10 but i dont normally sleep till 5am ish, the did make me a little drowsy but not hugely, i found them very week really, but my fellow patients were on em and they were fine, even on the 3.5 i think it was! and they didnt experience any after effects, its like someone above said, they are only designed to make you drop off not stay asleep!! good luck xx

• 1 month later...

It is a nightmare drug - psychological, physical dependence are all I deal with now. After a while, the dose you are on doesn't work, and so you amp it up. Then you find yourself running out of the prescription before you can get it refilled. The fear and panic sweep through you... don't go on this drug. It is addictive and I have taken steps to withdraw from using it. It has been four nights since my last dose and even with the heavy hitting benzo clonazepam, my body is so addicted to imovane (zopiclone) that I CAN NOT sleep - I mean, not even for 10 mins. I toss, turn and eventually just cry. I am scared of overdosing on clonazepam in desparation for sleep. I really advise everyone to stay away from this drug if you can - yes, it feels like a miracle at first, but it all changes really really fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thank's for your caring advice megan. I respect that. All very constructive.

I've just been prescribed zopiclone as well....7.5mg. I don't plan on taking it regularly. I just need to find my sleep rythm again....I have barely slept in two days now. I'd do almost anything for sleep.... I've always had a lot of difficulty falling / staying asleep. Been suffering from insomnia all my life. I tried it all. I never really wanted to take drugs just for sleeping but unfortunately I have to now. If I don't I fear I might fall back into a very bad depression and I really don't want that....

Funny thing is though, my doc only gave me 10 pills zopiclone but prescribed me 50 (0.5) of alprazolam O_O. I mean WTF???! I mean "yay cool lotsa drugs ^^but I really haven't been abusing them and I only wanted like 20". But he just prescribes me the biggest box...WTF??

Now I have to go see my GP pretty soon and ask him for a refill on zopiclone I guess....I hate waiting for hours just to speak for 5 minutes to my pdoc.

I can't speak for zopiclone, but I'm a long time zolpidem user and a fan. I was addicted a while ago but managed to cut down and it still works for me.

You can get zolpidem sustained release, which is usually a 12.5 mg pill that is slowly released (as the name suggests) into your system so keeps you asleep as well as induces it. Temazepam, Diazepam, Xanax- none of them worked for me. My problem was/is not an overactive mind at night, but just a refusal of my mind to sleep. I don't think about anything, I just can't fucking sleep. Zolpidem is the only thing I've tried that works for me, and I've been on and off it for over 2 years. Still works wonders. I am really, really pleasantly surprised by this drug.

The only potential problems are addiction and psychosis. Some people get addicted to it, but many do not- I think it really does come down to your personality. Even then, I get addicted to things easily, but I managed to break my zolpidem addiction.

Secondly, for me, if I take some but do not go to sleep (for whatever reason), I see and hear things very similar to psychosis (which I do suffer regardless). It kind of triggers a psychotic episode. But as I said, that's just me, and I haven't heard of this often.

Hope whatever you take works well for you!

zoppys are ok for the odd few days once in a while.

After that, I find, like zolpidem, they stop working and they made me depressed.

I used to take the odd one recreationally too :wub: not proud of it, but self medication was a habit of mine for a few years.

They have their uses but very limited in my view.

x

Archived