Mental Health Forums

Could I Have Ocd?

Sammi.B

Hi

I have been having alot of symptoms and it seems that they are getting more prominent and that is why i have actually started to think OMG maybe i am not being really weird..and maybe it is actually a problem.

My symptoms are:

1) I cant bin things some things, because i get worried that this certain thing is what is stopping something bad from happening and if i bin it then it will cause something bad to happen..

2) I cant eat from plates/cutlery/glasses etc without re-cleaning them because i dont think they are clean enough..

3) I hate odd numbers and also the number '3' and '13' is unlucky..they are BAD numbers and even writing them there has given me the chills..

4) I have to make things extremely neat, everything has to be straight and all my clothes are colour coordinated and my books/dvds are in order and colour coordinated

5) I have to keep tidying the house, especially my bedroom because i dont feel comfortable..it feels like it isnt tidy enough (though i know deep down it is tidy)..

6) I keep having these horrible thoughts and they are like the complete opposite of what i really feel.. and they upset me because im thinking these thoughts but i dont really feel that way..

7) I keep thinking that if i dont count or tap or make a noise a certain amount of time then something bad will happen to someone i care about or love..and if i am counting then it has to be to a number that has to chance of being able to divide into '3' becuase that just makes me feel even worse..and its horrible because i will count to a certain number but then i will have to go a bit longer till its just right..

8) i have to keep checking to make sure i have done something right

9) I dont like going out away from my mum because im scared something will happen to her while i am out..

Im sure there is more but i am gonna leave it at that because i think thats probably enough..

What do i do if i think i have it..if there is a high possibility then i want to be formally diagnosed but i dont want to go to the doctors and they are like 'what are you on about, dont be stupid' .. i have sent an email to mu counceller ming you..

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have been having alot of symptoms and it seems that they are getting more prominent and that is why i have actually started to think OMG maybe i am not being really weird..and maybe it is actually a problem.

My symptoms are:

1) I cant bin things some things, because i get worried that this certain thing is what is stopping something bad from happening and if i bin it then it will cause something bad to happen..

2) I cant eat from plates/cutlery/glasses etc without re-cleaning them because i dont think they are clean enough..

3) I hate odd numbers and also the number '3' and '13' is unlucky..they are BAD numbers and even writing them there has given me the chills..

4) I have to make things extremely neat, everything has to be straight and all my clothes are colour coordinated and my books/dvds are in order and colour coordinated

5) I have to keep tidying the house, especially my bedroom because i dont feel comfortable..it feels like it isnt tidy enough (though i know deep down it is tidy)..

6) I keep having these horrible thoughts and they are like the complete opposite of what i really feel.. and they upset me because im thinking these thoughts but i dont really feel that way..

7) I keep thinking that if i dont count or tap or make a noise a certain amount of time then something bad will happen to someone i care about or love..and if i am counting then it has to be to a number that has to chance of being able to divide into '3' becuase that just makes me feel even worse..and its horrible because i will count to a certain number but then i will have to go a bit longer till its just right..

8) i have to keep checking to make sure i have done something right

9) I dont like going out away from my mum because im scared something will happen to her while i am out..

Im sure there is more but i am gonna leave it at that because i think thats probably enough..

What do i do if i think i have it..if there is a high possibility then i want to be formally diagnosed but i dont want to go to the doctors and they are like 'what are you on about, dont be stupid' .. i have sent an email to mu counceller ming you..

I know very little about OCD. But from what things you listed. Seems to be a pattern in all the other posts that ive read on here about OCD.

especially the odd number one stands out, as common OCD thing.

and the 'if i dont do this, something bad will happen' i believe is the common thinking of OCD.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

But i gathered this from reading all the other posts. you can see for yourself.

:)

-agirl

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i went to the psychiatrist again today and yeh..apparently i have OCD..they want to give me medication to help with the anxiety which i was going to get anyway for the depression..dunno if i like the sound of that though..

Im just glad i have actually told someone about it now so i dont feel so alone..and i guess i feel a little better knowing that the thoughts that are in my head arent really me..its the OCD..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i went to the psychiatrist again today and yeh..apparently i have OCD..they want to give me medication to help with the anxiety which i was going to get anyway for the depression..dunno if i like the sound of that though..

Im just glad i have actually told someone about it now so i dont feel so alone..and i guess i feel a little better knowing that the thoughts that are in my head arent really me..its the OCD..

Hi

You sound like me, although i haven't been diagnosed with OCD as i've never told anyone about it.

I have all these things that i just have to do!! Like if anyone comes to my house and go to the bathroom, i have to clean it and bleach it before i can use it again. I too count a lot, and when watching tv or having a conversation, i tap my toes on alternating feet, and if the conversation ends on my left foot i get annoyed because its not even, i like it to be on the right side so it is. I too organise eveything, and obsess over tidiness and germs. clean the house from top to bottom every night once my daughter is in bed, then get up and start hoovering again! Its truly ridiculous but i just HAVE to do it!! There are so many more and the list is endless! I feel really anxious if i don't do it too, which is just great cos like i'm not already stressed enough lol!! I've never really thought of it as OCD before, but i suppose maybe it might be??

^ hi..yeh i never thought about most of my 'symptoms' as being OCD either..but then i started to get more and more of them and i was on a site and it said OCD so i thought i would check it out..and i found that alot of the things i did looked like OCD..and i dunno it just seemed to become more obvious..and well..im glad i told someone now.. :) ..i know it doesnt really solve anything telling someone accept maybe getting some medication or something for the anxiety but it feels better knowing your not totally alone..

Archived