Mental Health Forums

Thought Patterns.

Shelley

Okay, well I know I posted this in someones topic, but I thought I woould put it here so more people can see it, I find it very helpfull, and hope other's do too.

Negative thought: People don't like me. Thought challenge: There are people that like me. I have had better relationships in the past and will in the future.

Negative thought: If people really knew me they wouldn't like me. Thought challenge: There are things about me that are likeable and things that are unlikeable - just like everyone else.

Negative Thought: It would be best if I stayed away from people because im no good at relationships. Thought Challenge: If I stay away I don't give myself a chance. I'll probably be alright if I can just relax.

Negative Thought: I may break down emotionally in front of people and feel ridiculous. Thought Challenge: I have a good reason to be upset. People are a lot more understanding than I think. It would not be the end of the world. What is wrong with showing emotion ?

Negative thought: Im hopeless at everything. I'll never sort myself out like this. Thought Challenge: Just take one step at a time. Totally condemning myself is nonsense. I've overcome more difficult problems than this.

Negative Thought:I have nothing to say - im boring. Thought Challenge: I have opinions, thoughts and feelings. I like reading and going out. Perhaps I need to improve my ability to express myself. I can practise.

Negative Thought: I can stand it.Thought Challenge: It's difficult but I can put up with it. It is good for me.

Negative Thought: I am just not good enough. Thought Challenge:: I am not perfect. Like everybody I am good at some things and not so good at others.

Negative Thought: What is the point in trying. Thought Challenge If I don't try I won't know. Trying in itself will broaden my experience and skill. Nobody is expecting me to do it personally.

Negative thought: What if I make a mistake - it would would be awfull. Thought ChallengeEverybody makes mistakes. It is good to make mistakes because that is the best way to learn.

Negative Thought Everybody else has a better time than I do- they're all happy. Thought Challenge: I dont know this for a fact. Just because they seem busier doesn't mean they are more satisfied.

• Like 3

thanks anna, i'm about to go out for the night and ive had a really negative whirlwind of a day - this has made me feel a little bit stronger.

thanks anna, i'm about to go out for the night and ive had a really negative whirlwind of a day - this has made me feel a little bit stronger.

I used to be really good at positive thinking, but now I seem to have lost that ability and I dont know why. I see the negative side to EVERYTHING - whether it be about me personally or something I'm doing, or something that someone else has done for me. It's a really difficult thing to do, but if you can get the hang of it, it's something worth having, definitely.

Okay, well I know I posted this in someones topic, but I thought I woould put it here so more people can see it, I find it very helpfull, and hope other's do too.

Negative thought: People don't like me. Thought challenge: There are people that like me. I have had better relationships in the past and will in the future.

Negative thought: If people really knew me they wouldn't like me. Thought challenge: There are things about me that are likeable and things that are unlikeable - just like everyone else.

Negative Thought: It would be best if I stayed away from people because im no good at relationships. Thought Challenge: If I stay away I don't give myself a chance. I'll probably be alright if I can just relax.

Negative Thought: I may break down emotionally in front of people and feel ridiculous. Thought Challenge: I have a good reason to be upset. People are a lot more understanding than I think. It would not be the end of the world. What is wrong with showing emotion ?

Negative thought: Im hopeless at everything. I'll never sort myself out like this. Thought Challenge: Just take one step at a time. Totally condemning myself is nonsense. I've overcome more difficult problems than this.

Negative Thought:I have nothing to say - im boring. Thought Challenge: I have opinions, thoughts and feelings. I like reading and going out. Perhaps I need to improve my ability to express myself. I can practise.

Negative Thought: I can stand it.Thought Challenge: It's difficult but I can put up with it. It is good for me.

Negative Thought: I am just not good enough. Thought Challenge:: I am not perfect. Like everybody I am good at some things and not so good at others.

Negative Thought: What is the point in trying. Thought Challenge If I don't try I won't know. Trying in itself will broaden my experience and skill. Nobody is expecting me to do it personally.

Negative thought: What if I make a mistake - it would would be awfull. Thought ChallengeEverybody makes mistakes. It is good to make mistakes because that is the best way to learn.

Negative Thought Everybody else has a better time than I do- they're all happy. Thought Challenge: I dont know this for a fact. Just because they seem busier doesn't mean they are more satisfied.

These are brilliant. It's a bit freaky that pretty much all of those negative ideas are common to my daily thought patterns. It seems so obvious when you see it written out like that but much harder when they creep in your head and then you find examples everywhere to justify them. I'll keep trying!

Thanks! :D

Thankyou for posting this, Anna. I'm sure it will be a great help to me personally, and i'm guessing many other members here too!

Am i okay to print this out so i can get it up on my wall, please?

Crip xxx

I liked it, so many things there were exactly my way of thinking (negative thoughts). I need to change many things, but it is not easy, oh no, not at all. It just that, I have tried sometime, in the past, and at the end, the people had left me anyway, they don't love me anyway, so I don't try anymore.

These are great challenges for me too so thanks for posting them.

When my thinking is irrational (which is a lot of the time) I cannot think of alternative ways to think (if that makes sense). Just reading them makes me think "Oh yeah, I never thought of that!!"

I think I will print them off too.

That me all over... I think what is the god damn point in tryin when every time I try and get help or do anything, None listens to me... Like in the end of Jan I was took to hosptial cause I didn't feel safe I was cryin, shakin, rockin, wanted to hurt someone and myself ect you get the pic... So I was took to hosptial seen someone and was just given sleeppin pills cause I was stayin up for 3days straigh thn sleepin for up 12hours maybe and up again for 3days ect...

Thn I went to see my doc cause I need more of my meds and he knew how I was took to hopstial and how I had been...

So in Feb after I seen my doc and speak to him, He just gave me more meds and that nite I took an OD wantin to end it all the pain the hurt the fight I have to deal with everyday of my life and still am today... Now 7months on, I am still fightin for my life for the help BUT I don't seem to get it... So challengin my negative things doesn't help me at all and really I don't know where to go from here... I know I have the rest of my life to live but I can't see myself lastin much longer and fightin everyday min of the day to still be on this earth....

Sorry if I shouldn't say this on this bit but I am new here, And I am still tryin to work this site out....

What good timing. i have actually been trying to do this this last week. thanks for all the examples,It's good to have a spring board on the days where it's harder to be positive. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great thoughts Anna.

If its possible, I´ld like to discuss one of them (here?):

- Negative Thought: It would be best if I stayed away from people because im no good at relationships.

- Thought Challenge: If I stay away I don't give myself a chance. I'll probably be alright if I can just relax.

The problem is that I am not able to relax. When I am with people like in a group or so they are all relaxed, it irritates me noticing that I am the only one that isnt.

Elke

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this and thought how did you get into my mind cause each one of those negative thoughts is what im thinking at the moment!

Good answers!

• 2 months later...

This is really good! I am so negative about everything in life, i doubt myself all the time and always feel people are thinking negative things about me. So this really helps, to see the thought challenges written down, just need to put them into practice now!