Mental Health Forums

Suicide, Ever Considered It But Not Gone Thru?

an9i

I'm very interested to know if peeps have been suicidal, seriously suicidal, but not gone thru. What stopped you? Just interested as I have considered it many a time and even tried it a couple of times.

Earlier this year I was seriously considering it but what stopped me was a)didn't want to hurt my family but that wasn't the main reason, more of a subsidiary reason, the main reason was b)belief in an afterlife where i will continue to manifest my problems until they get sorted out. I seriously think that is the only reason I am still here as otherwise I would have done it. I've just had far far too much pain for one person to go thru in one lifetime, pretty much from as far back as I can remember. Also I believe that I may have committed suicide in previous lifetimes, but reincarnated with the same spiritual lessons to learn cos I didn't learn them then.

Of course I may be entirely wrong and that we just die and turn to dust or whatever, but if I didn't believe all this I very much doubt I would be here today writing this. Sometimes I am suprised I am still here, and feel good that I have survived so long and I kind of think that seeing as I have made it this far, I may aswell continue.

Anyway just wondering if other people have similar reasons for not committing suicide, or do you have entirely different reasons? And have those reasons changed over time?

Cheers guys

Angi x

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it was the thought of what it could do to my family,i also had a friend who made a big difference to me considering it and having someone to talk to really helped.

I lost my dad not long ago and now i know what losing a family member does to a family and friends and what it feels like i ca say i will never even consider sui again.I look at other options now and ahead to the future.

What stopped me is ....a) i cant hurt my family b ) i don`t know what is on the other side...could be worse and knowing my luck if there was such a thing as recarnation ide come back as myself!

Hmmm.... I have been suicidal so many times and there are lot of reasons:

my children

my husband

my fear of failure

fear of not doing it right and ending up permanently disabled

fear of discovery too soon and it not working

fear of god (this is an old one I don't care bout it now)

fear of being bad and wrong

fear of being re-admitted to mental health unit again

Is all I can think of right now. I have never feared the actual being dead part as I have firm beliefs of the after-life and I know where I am going when I am dead. xxxxx

What stopped me is ....a) i cant hurt my family b ) i don`t know what is on the other side...could be worse and knowing my luck if there was such a thing as recarnation ide come back as myself!

Hayz - think we are saying the same thing! You put it better though

I tried many times in my teens, the last time, I was 6 months pregnant! Through out the 54 hours labour, I was petrified that my baby wouldn't be "normal" That was 24 years ago! Now I realise that I have come through so much shit, pain and bullshit, that however bad I feel, it will change in time!

It always gets better in the end! X

Suicide has been constantly on my mind this past few weeks. I have tried it twice before. Once by overdose which resulted in hospitalisation and then by drowning but I was pulled out of the sea. I have been really down and on the local news recently have been a couple of suicide stories. One, a man, who lost his job and jumped off the local cliffs and the other a lady who jumped from a road viaduct. I think that although some say to commit suicide represents cowardice, in my mind it takes bravery. I know that family ties count high in the reasons for not attempting to take your own life, but what if you are alone like me ? What if you feel that you have seen enough of the world and lived enough of life ? I really wish there was an off switch and that one could quietly just close down without causing dramatics for others. Sometimes the paroxetine and diazepam don't seem to help me any more. Sorry to sound so low, it's just the way I am right now.

I have tried to commit suicide twice - the first time, I was naive in my belief a few pills mixed with alcohol would work (that landed me 6 months in mental hospital). 2nd time, I caused myself more problems.

So what stops me now is not fear of the unknown - I live with that fear anyway, the unknown of next month, next week, tomorrow, the next 5 minutes - to make the choice of suicide would take away that fear in the sense I would know what I am doing...what stops me now is the fear of NOT dying, more pain, becoming more of a failure. I'm not brave - I'm merely to scared to fail. But those thoughts and feelings make me a failure anyway.

i have stood on erskine bridge manay times ready to go, but realised i didnt have a pen to leave a note, or something equally as silly! the one time i had thought it through i got a phone call from hubby asking me where was and that was enough to shock me out of it at the time.

i love my family enormously, and believed that my depression was ruining their lives as well as my own and that they would be better off without me. i didnt want to hurt anyone, but eventually there came a point where i couldnt hurt anymore and after painting on my happy face for so long i felt it was my time to be selfish and that they would "get over it" easy enough as im so useless and pointless.

depression fucks up your head and generally muddles your judgement. i thought i was doing the right thing,and in the end i was wrong - doesnt make these feelings go away entirely though. today im feeling like i want to end it all again, but i know that i wont give in this time. thats enough to stop me now. im doing a charity bungee jump next week, so i know if ive got the urge to throw myself off something, im going to have that outlet which will help me as well as the charity.

hope all these ramblings make sense! x

I don't what has stopped me, I mean I have done the letters had pills in front of me and not done it... Thn this year in Jan I lose it ermm started shakin rockin cryin ect didn't feel safe with myself so I ended up in Hopstial for the nite let out given no help thn in Feb I took a OD never done a note this time but it didn't work...

I know what pain I would of coursed my family if I had worked as my dad killed himself when I was just a kid but that didn't stop me from doin it... But at the time I though my family wouldn't care if I was dead and this sometimes I think the same but I have not done it again and I could never say that I wont cause you never know what tomorrow bring...

I'm very interested to know if peeps have been suicidal, seriously suicidal, but not gone thru. What stopped you? Just interested as I have considered it many a time and even tried it a couple of times.

Earlier this year I was seriously considering it but what stopped me was a)didn't want to hurt my family but that wasn't the main reason, more of a subsidiary reason, the main reason was b)belief in an afterlife where i will continue to manifest my problems until they get sorted out. I seriously think that is the only reason I am still here as otherwise I would have done it. I've just had far far too much pain for one person to go thru in one lifetime, pretty much from as far back as I can remember. Also I believe that I may have committed suicide in previous lifetimes, but reincarnated with the same spiritual lessons to learn cos I didn't learn them then.

Of course I may be entirely wrong and that we just die and turn to dust or whatever, but if I didn't believe all this I very much doubt I would be here today writing this. Sometimes I am suprised I am still here, and feel good that I have survived so long and I kind of think that seeing as I have made it this far, I may aswell continue.

Anyway just wondering if other people have similar reasons for not committing suicide, or do you have entirely different reasons? And have those reasons changed over time?

Cheers guys

Yeah, i've thought about it all throughout my life. My main reason for not doing it is my belief in and my relationship with God. He gave me life and i just don't want to meet him in that sort of way. I wish he had never bothered to create me but that's beside the point. Besides, i'm not a quitter. And my cat would miss me terribly. You sound like a survivor. Hang in there! There's a reason your still alive.

Angi x

Too many times to mention, my children and my Mum, keep me here.

I have taken many OD's but all apart from one were a cry for help.

The one where I really wanted to die, I took a horrorfying amount of medication, I was in a coma for three day's and my family were told I had a 20% chance of survival.

That ended in me being sectioned. Even my children and my Mum didn't deter me. I literally cared about nothing except going to sleep for ever, and I was severely deppressed, the worse depression I ever had, that was 5 years ago.

I think the NHS are pretty good at telling a real suicide atempt from a cry for help.

But I think if someone is so desperate to risk there physical health by OD'ing then they should get help none the less.

Like everything though it comes down to NHS resources.

Apparantly they actually go to the lower astral plane - the same place ghosts come from because they get stuck between this world and the next. Read about it in 'suicide - what really happens in the afterlife (channeled conversations with the dead)' - very very interesting book! Could all be bollocks, I'm open minded, but I certainly changed my views on suicide after reading it!

Yes, it is well documented that suicide victim's souls go to the midlife. Inbetween life and death and are there for eternity. But again, this is propagated by the Church. The whole being in 'limbo' theory is outdated now.

The word 'limbo' is defined in wikipeadia as this: Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell

The fact that it derives from a Latin word is enough for me as all Catholic literature was in Latin originally. Apparently it is not just reserved for suicide victims but unbaptised children go here according to the Church. The Church says that they need to be baptised to free them from 'original sin'. Wtf? No baby has sinned!!!! This is another good reason to dis-credit the limbo theory in my opinion.

And if the theory is so flawed as this, then I doubt it has any credibility and it's only purpose is to frighten people into believing they must give their lives (and money) to this cause.

I have attempted suicide many times.By the time i get to the point where i am severly suicidal and actually planning it, thought of my family go out og the window. i have convinced myself they would all be better off without me.

My last suicidal point, I was watching tv and had planned on doing it that evening. had already called into work sick, the kids were away...had it all sorted. This is the bit that is comical in a sick way. I was watching dignosis murder and it turned out to be a twp parter. The next part was on the following day. I delayed my suicide attemp so i could see how it ended! by the next day i felt a wee bit better and not so sucicdal

The crisis team thought it was the funniest story ever!

Diagnosis Murder saved my life!!!!!

well ive tried to commit suicide on several occasions

im not sure what stopped me at all maybe it was panice

maybe it was looking at the sight of it

or maybe it was just to see if i cud still feel pain

or even just to watch myself bleed

i dont no really it cud be any of those reasons

but it seems the further i go the worse it gets

until one day my actions will not be my own

Yes, it is well documented that suicide victim's souls go to the midlife. Inbetween life and death and are there for eternity. But again, this is propagated by the Church. The whole being in 'limbo' theory is outdated now.

The word 'limbo' is defined in wikipeadia as this: Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell

The fact that it derives from a Latin word is enough for me as all Catholic literature was in Latin originally. Apparently it is not just reserved for suicide victims but unbaptised children go here according to the Church. The Church says that they need to be baptised to free them from 'original sin'. Wtf? No baby has sinned!!!! This is another good reason to dis-credit the limbo theory in my opinion.

And if the theory is so flawed as this, then I doubt it has any credibility and it's only purpose is to frighten people into believing they must give their lives (and money) to this cause.

I don't believe in christianity/catholicism/any organised religion btw. I read a book written by two psychologists without any religious agenda, where they had interviewed a number of mediums who claimed to have been in contact with the dead, plus other things like near death experiences and past life regression. Nothing was mentioned about limbo or any catholic belief system. As I said, I am open minded, but the book did make me stop and think well even if there's a slight possibilty that what the mediums are saying is true, it's not worth me ending my life by my own hand.

Defo considered it many times. Thing that stopped me was having a therapist, and always a slim belief that eventually things can change. Actually shows me how much therapy has done, because my suicidal times seem very far away just now, like I am in a much lighter time.

I like the idea of being on earth to solve these issues of suffering, to transcend them somehow. My feelings about that come from the sort of buddhist side of things, the mindfulness got me into looking at buddhism and so on.

Sounds interesting ani, could you let me know the book names and authors (pm me if you like). I would be interested in reading them xxxxx

Roses the book is called 'Suicide - what really happens in the afterlife?' by Pamela Rae Heath and Jon Klimo. The blurb on the back says 'Suicide critically explores the evidence for an afterlife to pose a new set of questions: What happens after suicide? What advice do the departed offer to he living who are suicidal? Do suicide bombers enjoy their promised paradise with seventy-two virgins? In this meticulously documented, fascinating book, Heath adn Klimo investigate the tragic nature of suicide and break new ground in exploring one of the most emotioanl and meaningful issues of our time'.

I read this book specifically with the purpose of informing myself about whether or not suicide was an option for me, and after reading it concluded it was not!

You can order it off amazon.

Thoroughly recommended!

What stops me acting on sui thoughts is the belief I have that suicides end up in eternal limbo. A bit cosmic, but that is a fate worse than death. I do fear nervous breakdowns though, as anxiety so overwhelming.

Archived