Mental Health Forums

Is This Ocd ?

Shelley

This is very embarresing and also distressing.

I remember I had this as a kid.......but it's come back.......today!

I have to press my nail's down hard on each finger, all ten, I HAVE to do it, otherwise the cuticles feel 'horrible', but once isn't enough, I have to keep doing it, even as im typing this, the same with my big toe and the one next to it, i have to keep squashing them together, it's like I have an itch, but it isn't an itch, it's a weird feeling that my nails and cuticles have to be pressed.

Worse one is, I have the same feeling on my private parts, and I have to keep squashing my labia inwards, it is not a sexual thing, it is the same feeling as my fingers and nails, I can't stop doing it, to the point where I get really distressed.

As I said, I had these as a kid, and now it's back, and I don't know what to do, or why it's come back, im constantly pressing my nails in, or my labia inwards, I must look like a totall nutter.

I really dout there is but anyone have anything like this ?

Anna xxx

as far as the fingers and toes thing that sounds very similar to what i have to do. i cant really describe it. i also have to run my fingers over the nails on my hands or they feel weird, uneven. and press my fingers together and i just cant stop, i do it almost all the time to the point that it means i cant do something else and it is really distressing. ive done this from a child too and have tried just resisting but it feel so horrible and wrong i just cant not do it.

just wanted to let you know your not alone, i cant relate to that part.

xxx

Thanks Rael........it drive's you nut's doesn't it ?!

I know what you mean about the un-even feeling, if I press one nail harder than the rest then I have to start over! grrrrrrr!

The worse one is my labia pressing, for odvious reasons, if I can't do it because someone will see , even if it's through my trouser's, I get in a right state, fortunately I don't go out much, and can usually manage to do it without anyone seeing. But it get's so bad, I end up crying.

It's driving me nut's, and I will mention it to my pdoc when we meet.

Anna xxx

• 2 months later...

WOW! I have this EXACT thing, I've had it since I was tiny, as long as I can remember. As soon as you are reminded of it you have to do it, and I know exactly what you mean about it being an "itch" but not exactly an itch. My big toe too, for as long as I can remember I've been desperately struggling to just curl up my big toe and press down on the nail inside my shoe throughout the day. And you've reminded me of it now, I haven't done it in days and now I can't stop thinking about it, lol. I don't squash the nails so much push them against the next finger, or bite down on them. But I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I don't even know if this is OCD, it's SO much like an actual physical itching sensation rather than just a psychological thing. (I know nothing about OCD though, is that what it's like?)

I've mentioned this to plenty of different people ever since I was tiny, each one has looked at me like I'm mad. My cousin suggested OCD. (I don't actually think I have OCD at all) Really surprised to see actually see someone else with this.

Archived