Mental Health Forums

New Obsession-Compulsion

Sammi.B

Recently i have got this obsession - ..it started with me just wanting to lose a bit of weight but then this thing came into my mind that if i eat anything other than dinner then something bad is going to happen to someone i love..or even myself.

Im scared..because i am so hungry and it has gona on for days just eating dinner and that is it..and i keep thinking that i know nothing is going to happen but im so scared that if i do eat something then..ya know..... :'( ..

not feeling so good..

and i keep feeling so alone even when im not alone.. :( ..

:'( no matter how much i reasure myself..i cant help but worry..

I can't guarentee this post will help you but, everyone has their eating habits. However I like to be a bit of a strongman/powerlifter/bodybuilder/runner in my "spare time". I pick the best parts of each discipline. Bodybuilding excels in diet routines. Alot of the things bodybuilders can put into their diet, like anti-oxidants, are simply the most healthy thing to eat and if u do a bit of googling the word crops up not only in bodybuilding but for caner patients. Its to do with free-radicals and stopping cells being disintergrated by them.

That is just an example. What I am getting at is that the most healthy way (not just for bodybuilding), is to eat small portions regularly.

My diet

scrambled eggs , protein shake

meat, carbs, greens

ditto

ditto plus protein shake

Training <

protein shake - meet, carbs veg

Oats, honey, milk cold. This gives slow release food for making u feel fuller throughout the night, honey is contains the sugars that the brain works on and if your brain is active during the night (dreaming), then u will burn calories while asleep

I may get up to go to the loo. I may down a raw egg. Just to show I'm human, I might err in getting back to bed while being on tinternet.

Don't forget to drink water, lots. I usually drink water with a little orange juice for taste. Drinking after a meal with help u feel fuller, which is helpful if you are on a diet and still feel hungry.

In essence, u can be on a diet but u need to balance your portions and divide them into regular food intake throughout the day. The diet will not be such a chore and shouldn't be as frustrating. Food is good afterall, its not the enemy.

Ofcourse I could have been patronising and said " u should eat more ".

You sound so much like my hubbie Megatron. He is kicking my butt into shape and I've found my mood has been better (believe it or not) for eating a little more and eating the right stuff. Usually by now with this amount of stress I'd be in a psyche ward. So yay for the eating advice xxxxx

Erm ok but the point is..i cant eat anything more because of the fear of something happening to someone i love..i am scared..i dont care about losing weight anymore..its just hard to eat something other than dinner because of that fear(not of gaining weight) but of something bad actually happening..it is pathetic and weird to have this sort of obsession/fear......but well i have it and its horrible..and.......

argh.......knowone understands me :'(

That sounds like the old cherry where u pick a pettle off a dandylion while saying she loves me, she loves me not; and hope u end up on she loves me. Obviously I've not done this for a while but the point is its trying to make sense of the world according to a random task you set yourself. Its just not the way the world works and you know that. You have made up a rule for yourself as a means to an end but you must now use strength of will to break this cycle. You have I think got it into your head that you have no will power of your own. You could have just said right I am going on a diet (and not made up false stories attaching your diet to other peoples wellbeing) and you can equally tell yourself that it was a silly idea in the first place and you need to quit that. You have will power u don't need to manipulate yourself into doing things. You must do it with positive thought and confidence in yourself. Now if only I could do the same thing in situations I find difficult. Like getting to bed and doing revision for my part time college course.

I understand you Sammi, I really do I was just saying that diet is very important. But at least you are eating one balance meal a day. I think you are suffering from paranoia or OCD, can you go to your GP about it? xxx

Ok thank you........and..erm yes i am suffering from OCD..thats why i put it in the OCD part of the forum..

yeh i suppose at least i am able to eat something so thats ok.....il be ok.. :) thanks

Well i seeing a psychiatrist nd she mentioned meds but hasnt done anything more bout it..i think they are wanting me to try talk about it all first before they put me on any kind of medication :P ..

sammi.B, although I don't experience the fear for the same thing as you, with regards to eating only one meal a day. But the fear you feel of something bad going to happen to you, or someone you know, I know that tension/anixety/worry feeling and hate it. I really wish I wasn't what some might regard as totally neurolotic & unstable. :(

I take medication for another medical condition, and endure so many hell effects from both side-effects of the medications, and symptoms of the condition they are taken for. Alongside being on my own, because my Mother doesn't want anything to do with me & said 'I was the biggest mistake of her life' numurous times throughout my life, basically because of the medical condition. So much so I really think she has 'mentally' damaged me.

But do honestly know how and what anxiety you must feel from it. They're probably trying C.B.T. (tablet-free methods first) rather than resort to medications at the drop of a hat though. Hope it works for you

Archived