Mental Health Forums

Why I Want To Be Diagnosed With Bpd

Data

your therapist is not qualified to diagnose and should not be leading you down a certian path, while there are other avenues to persue first. its going to be a complete mind fuck if after all this time of convincing yourself that you know what is wrong that it is completely not right. what if you are dealing with issues based on a completely wrong dx. what then? start again?

Saffron

I've been lead down the wrong path for YEARS before by doctors with degrees from Cambridge.

And my therapist makes it clear that he does not offer a diagnosis, just an opinion. And he is allowed to have a professional opinion.

Would a diagnosis make you feel that your behaviour is excusable, you did it because you have BPD? You drink too much because you have BPD? You can't stop yourself because you have BPD?

Ruthie

x

Data, sry u allways say I, u never say we, both, or anything. That is one reason why i thought not bpd. Again, regardless of somone official or anything would diagnose you, which U wouldnt like is, u say this.

Have u not seen the diffrence to people with BPD?

More like schizo or shizotypal personality from what you have put down here. But I am not a pdoc just a concerned nobody. These are both in the group A of personality disorders and can be easily googled. It has been established on here time and time again that therapist are entitled to their opinions but they cannot give you a confirmed diagnosis, you need a psychiatrist for that within the UK. I know that the backing of a therapist may help with a dx from the pdoc but it will not be conclusive. And don't forget you are paying this person.

spend a week with me, then decide! lol. in fact, i'm sure many of us bpd'ers on here would say the same thing. spend a week with us, in our skin, observing us and how we are and then decide if you have bpd

Data, you have in the past suggested autism as a possible dx too! Do you not still think this could be a possibility? Could not many of your issues and problems all come down to a dx of autism if you did have that? What symptoms do you have that you believe can only solely be a dx of bpd and not any other dx? Just curious, after all if you did have autism, I know for a fact there is more help and resources for that diagnosis than there is for bpd. I also know people are more willing to help you and listen to you and take you seriously with that diagnosis than bpd. You say previous help has been ineffective so therefore a dx of bpd can't be any worse, I can assure you it can get a whole lot worse, go from being offered ineffective thus far help to being completely ignored and never being offered even ineffective help, no longer being taken seriously by anyone ever again and when you start going to doctors about even physical ailments having those ignored and not treated too, trust me that is a lot lot worse that people at least trying to help and failing, at least if they try you still feel they care to some degree about your health, when they stop even trying you realise no one cares anymore and not just in a way that is indifferent but where they actually look at you like a piece of shit on the bottom of their shoe.

Hi Data, just seen this post.

I can understand and relate to wanting some kid of tangible diagnosis so that you can then understand how best to proceed. My Psych and cpn did it where they told me verbally but said because of the stigma they wouldn't put it on my records, - so they put down the ingrediants as it were, instead - ie depression with bouts of psychosis.

I can't say the diagnosis has any real benefits -treatmentwise- you're still limited by what the NHS will provide in the area in which you're living.

The only difference I've noticed personally in the way I'm treated is that now there seems to be power struggle between my cpn and Psych. My psych wants to carry on treating the symptoms and mess about with my meds every so often (Which I'm happy to do)and my cpn wants to follow NICE guidelines and strip me off all my meds - because NICE says so kinda thing. (Which I don't feel is particularly helpful).

So maybe verbally is a good way to do it? Without having it put on your record.

Anyway that's my 2penneth for what it's worth.

PS I have noticed that my cpn doesn't seem to take it seriously when I ring up suicidal nowadays since the diagnosis. Maybe that's another downside as with pd they think aw never mind it'll pass in an hour or so.

Take care

x

Two of the main criteria of BPD are suicide attempts and self harm.

Because you don't have these, you could get a diagnosis of something else. Another personality disorder or somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I understand you want a diagnosis, but why BPD? If your therapist has told you it is BPD I think he has been very unprofessional

Ruthie

x

Data,

can I throw in a curve ball?

My old therapist told me that things dont happen in isolation. Its the domino effect.

So, what has recently had an impact on you, to make this need for a diagnosis more urgent?

edit - just wanted to add, that in general men with BPD seem to present differently to women with BPD.That is just from being on this board a while. dunno if that helps or not.

Because you don't have these, you could get a diagnosis of something else. Another personality disorder or somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I understand you want a diagnosis, but why BPD? If your therapist has told you it is BPD I think he has been very unprofessional

I disagree. In my opinion my therapist is very professional and your comments show a lack of understanding of BPD.

Data,

My old therapist told me that things dont happen in isolation. Its the domino effect.

So, what has recently had an impact on you, to make this need for a diagnosis more urgent?

edit - just wanted to add, that in general men with BPD seem to present differently to women with BPD.That is just from being on this board a while. dunno if that helps or not.

I thin you are right, for example I think it was Joshua who said that men with BPD are more likely to have a criminal record.

I will have a think about your curve ball.

You've had a harsd time recently data...i know you've struggled a lot.

completely understand why it's so important to you to have a dx.you believe you have bpd...and your therapist does too.

i think the next step is to wait and see what your doctor says...and take it from there.

i remember going to the doctor time after time and he said i was depressed.i remember thinking...it can't be just that surley?i spoke to my therapist who had his own suggestions but went with the doc.they are the proffessionals and i guess we have to have faith in them and what they say.

but saying that they can get it wrong...i say go for a second/third opinion.....but they could all be the same opinnion .at least then youve explored every avenue and your happy even if its not the out come you think it should be.

xx

I disagree. In my opinion my therapist is very professional and your comments show a lack of understanding of BPD.

Data,

I thin you are right, for example I think it was Joshua who said that men with BPD are more likely to have a criminal record.

I will have a think about your curve ball.

I think i have a much better understanding than you of BPD. Impulsive behaviour is a common trait which can often lead to suicidal tendancies. the two are closely linked and thats why 8-10% of BPD commit suicide.

Ruthie

x

I have very little faith in doctors since I have been messed around my them in the past for YEARS. I think that doctors like to talk rather than listen, and particularly with personality disorders "things are not as they seem". You need to listen to the people, rather than take what they say literally and just lecture them (which is what doctors do).

Having said that, I think if he gave me a wishy-washy answer like "you have a personality disorder which has some of the features of BPD but you don't have BPD" then I'd feel invalidated.

I know thats a contradiction... if I don't have any faith in the doctor, why am I worried about what he says? This topic was about me expressing how I feel and how I feel is not always logical.

lol data, u just did it again.

men with BPD, is the diffrence is of aggression, anger, and other extreme states.

Going to tell u, my BPD sypmtoms was very much like a male, i was more aggressive, had anger, i also had more violent SH towards myself than a female. On the record of BPD and criminal is, many woman are BPD, aswell as men, most med, are actually anti social personality disorder, that is the new Pcychopath discription.

How much you don't like certain personality disorders,your pdoc will diagnose, that only happens if ur honest with him. If your not, u be stuck with something, u played, regardless of something what u have.

However much people have said and have been treated, personality disorders are now by gov is to be sorted. Up in scotland it is anyway.

I know a couple of male BPDers, sry regardless of how much you come here to look and ignore, which u do, ur very good at ignroing, is u ask ur pdoc, ignore all u want, u are jut being false to yourself with not having the right diagnoses.

sry data, being blunt and honest, learn all u want in bpd, it doesnt mean anything.

I think i have a much better understanding than you of BPD. Impulsive behaviour is a common trait which can often lead to suicidal tendancies. the two are closely linked and thats why 8-10% of BPD commit suicide.

I believe BPD is when a person has not learned how to manage their powerful emotions, and has difficulty understanding themself and other people, hence they are sometimes not self-aware and have problems relating to other people, and get "paranoid" because they misinterpret what others say.

Things like self-harm and suicide do not define BPD, they are just the symptoms.

At the end of the day they WILL give a vague dx at first cos it takes time and patience to work together with a professional to get a PD dx (if not this then usually some time on the psyche ward which you had when younger I know). Some pdocs don't even think BPD exists so it depends on the luck of the draw really. And seeing as you can pay for therapy you can bypass the system to some extent and pick the appropriate therapy which is a blessing beyond any dx. The key is the therapy and you have that. I'm sure it will help in the long-term.

I believe BPD is when a person has not learned how to manage their powerful emotions, and has difficulty understanding themself and other people, hence they are sometimes not self-aware and have problems relating to other people, and get "paranoid" because they misinterpret what others say.

Things like self-harm and suicide do not define BPD, they are just the symptoms.

This just proves i have more knowledge about BPD than you.

Would a rose by any other name...

You are aware of your symptoms data. You are in therapy, which is more than i have on the NHS. A dx is not a magical cure! You should forget the dx, you don't want to be labelled for life. Continue with the therapy and treat the symptoms

Ruthie

x

Some pdocs don't even think BPD exists

Well they are not competent in my opinion.

This just proves i have more knowledge about BPD than you.

Would a rose by any other name...

You are aware of your symptoms data. You are in therapy, which is more than i have on the NHS. A dx is not a magical cure! You should forget the dx, you don't want to be labelled for life. Continue with the therapy and treat the symptoms

I disagree.

However, I agree with you that my therapy does treat the symptoms. Whatever diagnosis I get from the psychiatrist will not affect my therapy anyway. So maybe its not that important after all :).

Archived