Mental Health Forums

Starting On Citalopram

bumbazz

my gp is switching from mirtazapine 30 mg to citalopram 20 mg . I used to be on mirtazapine now for just uner a year but ihad put so much on weight and it wasn't helping my anxiety at all so the gp said it is time to change i am afraind of taking it for the first time and worried about the side effect ?

when at frist i took mirtazpine i was like a zombie totally spaced out i hope not to have to relived this with citalopram. thanks

cital can make u feel a lil wierd for a couple days, but it does settle down and i found it to be a very effective ad... it is also v good for anx...

the only problem i had with it was it disturbed my sleep so i did come off it and back onto a different ad...

but we are all different and respond differently... so i would have a go, but just feed back the negatives as well as the positives to your doc on your drug review - usually they ask to see me again after 3 weeks of a new med or doseage increase... so i am guessing you will have similar...

Anyway... good luck with it...

Kath

thansk yes my gp want to see me in 3 weeks to see how i am doing with citalopram .. i need to take it one tonight so i am a bit anxious about it ...

oooooooo

did the doc say take at night

i took mine in morning cos of sleep thing - doc said to me either am or evening, pharmacist recommended i took in am...

but at night may be better for you if you say have to work or drive in the am and you are worried about spacy feelings...

maybe u wanna check with doc next time u see him / her - but best do what they say in the mean time...

o and i meant to say before - there was no weight gain with this for me...

my gp said nothing about taking the morning or evening even the pharmacist jsut said to take 1 daily . the gp didnt even mentined about sie effect etc... it just ahnded me a new prescription and that 's it

i assume it was to be taken at night because i took my mirtazapine at night so i though about continuity and see what he does . why is there a real difference between morning or evening ?

i am not working but if it mess up with your sleep t.. oh it doesnt fill me with confidence .. however i am glad about no weight gain with citalopram . before mirtazapine i was on fluoxetine didnt do much for me .

yeah i am worreid because if sito send me manic that will mean i wll have to wait again another year for psychtherapy for my BPD i have jsut received my referal form .... iis there a strong effect on cito after taking the first pill ? I already stpop taking mirtazapine 2 days agao now and i feel a bit better without it already me thinkign probably to pass the citolopram .

flux did nothing for me at all

but then - hey we are all different

i dint get strong effect with first pill - jus felt a lil dissociated - but nothing bad - for the first couple days - 3 days later was jus fine...

BUT it really did help with the anx as well as the dep....

EVERYONE is different... as mh meds are always kinda shot in the dark anyway please at least try them and unless u get really bad s/e try keep taking them for the 3 weeks so as they have time to both settle down and start working... if u do get problems with bad s/e just go back to your doc and ask for maybe something else...

The internet is a scary thing - but remember this - if you have a good experience you tell maybe couple people, but if you have a bad experience you tell more people... same with service from a contractor, or trying out a new restaurant... so be wary of this when seeking out peoples opinions of drugs on the internet...

Well, that's my experience and opinion... but at the end of the day it is up to you...

citalopram is one of the antids with less side effects, BUT i would not recommend taking any ssri at night, as they do tend to mess with slee, best tto take them in the morning, ive been off and on citalopram for years its fine, one of the better ssris

good luck with it try not to worry too much

thansk for all the support ., i must be a right pain! lol

i have rang the crisis team who told me i have nothing to fear from the tablet as they aparently relatvely safe to use adn they also confirm what you have all said . anyooh i will let you know how i get on ! thanks again :rolleyes:

Hi.

i have been on them for about 18 months now and they have been really good for me,No weight gain at all,at first i was manic a bit but it did wear off,everyone is different though!.Give it 2 weeks to kick in.

Also you are not being a pain you are just asking questions because you are concerned about taking a new med,nothing wrong with that at all :)

well it is day 4 and i dont know if it is because i am coming off mirtazapine or starting citalopram but i feel bad between the headache tense joint and neck and hot flush plus anxiety..... i hoep doe stablet are worthwhiel i feel absolutly awful .

I just started citalopram too. Feel really nauseous (though that's normal for me, but even more so) and last night lying in bed felt really really high, like I was on ecstasy. Feel really lethargic now and a bit out of it, but also like...dunno, just don't feel as hopeless. Can't imagine doing anything, but no suicidal thoughts (which have been plaguing me last few days).

Def not as bad as side effects I've had off other anti-depressants - prozac made me have a panic attack straight away, mirtazipine just sent me to sleep as soon as I took it (and for the next 3 months after!)

Good luck, fellow citalopram-takers, hope this one works for you.

Archived