Mental Health Forums

Freaked Out

elle2008

I'm feeling very cold and distant toward my husband purely because of something he did earlier which has made my obsessive thoughts come back. We have an old friend of mine staying at our apartment who had a bath and couldn't get the plug out so my husband put his arm in their dirty bath water to get the plug out. now i can't even go near him because i think he's contaminated.

what should i do

should i tell my husband my thoughts or will it make him think im a freak. HELP !!!

Hey -

Does your husband know about your thoughts? I mean is he aware of them

in the past? If he does then why not talk to him about it?

March

Anyone who judges you for that is not worth it.

Can you just say to him, that your OCD has been triggered, and be upfront with him. If he knows you have OCD he may well understand.

hugs

xxx

Hi and welcome elle,

I too suggest you talk to your husband about this incident if it is bothering you this much.

He married you, i don't think he will judge you based on an OCD thought. You are not a freak, I have seen how distressing OCD can be, and i have a tinge of it, not enough to complain about... but i can imagine it could be very bad...

OCD can be so exausting, can you speak to him and also work out a way that he would be 'ok' - not contaminated?

Are you on medication / or therapy for your OCD?

i wish you well,

Anne marie x

I definitely agree with the person above who said, tell him "my ocd is triggered, please help me calm down. I would really like if you could a. b. c." (do-able requests like shower, allow me to wipe your leg with hand sanitizer, and put on clean pajamas.) Honestly, everyone has Pet Peeves, even the quote on quote normies, so requests like that should be no problem if you ask for them calmly and confidently. Stereotypically, men LOVE to rescue their damsel in distress, it makes them feel like a hero. A dude told me that just this past weekend, around the campfire. Make him your hero, tell him your ocd reality in "please help me out this way" terms. Men find that seriously empowering!

hope it helps,

cat

Archived