Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine

skp67

I take my quetiapine about an hour before i go to bed, but within 3/4 hr i have lost the use of my legs my speech becomes slurred and basically i feel paraletic.

I then sleep solidly for 12 hours and then wake but the feeling i am left with is that of a hangover. Today, now its 12.25pm and as yet havent found any energy to do anything, which is so bad as the house, washing all needs to be done.

Could it be that i am being over dosed at night, i also have 100mg that i can use twice as a prn through the day, but do try not to use it and take the diazepam instead.

Scally x

I am exactly the same on quetiapine. It's only because I am signed off work that I can take them - I had to give up when I was given them before.

Apparently the effects will wear off......I'm still waiting!!!

What dose are you on???

I take 100mg of Quietiapine at night, which I know is a lot lower dose than you. Nevertheless I still get drowsiness the next day. My pdoc tells me it is a very sedating medication so this is not surprising.

I know quetiapine is good for anxiety, insomnia, unstable moods and psychosis. However, its side-effects have to be balanced against the benefit you are receiving. It may be that if your mental health is very poor that the side effects are a necessary evil.

I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.

I take 300mg nightly now and find it does nothing to me in terms of sleep. I still take Zopiclone (prn) at night...Which, unless i'm completely exhausted only just chills me out a little. I experienced the same whilst on Risperidone. I've heard lots of things about both drugs totally knocking people out and leaving them like zombies, but for some strange reason the sedative effects don't seem to work with me.

It's strange how some medicines effect people so differently.

Aurora :)

yes a lot of meds have no effect on me whatsoever but i seem sensitive to quetiapine im supposed to take 100 morning and 100 night but they had to change it all to night as it makes me sleep for about 3-4 hours if i take in morning and can't do that when looking after kids and the such and i don't want to lose my life. But i'm the same scally, bot 3/4 hour after i get totally lethargic, difficulty standing up and I get totall memory loss EVERY NIGHT! But this is partly due to the other meds combo too as I am on about 6 different drugs and am taking tablets 4 times a day (morn, 2pm, 6pm and nocte). But I'm getting used to it. But I can function and do some stuff but have no memory at all. Even things like having sex which you would kinda remember!!! I have to have my hubbie with me all night as i don't wake up with kids and if i do get up I am like a drunk person.

But - I am at home and I am functioning as well as I can, this is a bonus. Never forget the wonderful feeling of coming home from hossie and sinking into the couch, going to the loo unsupervised and sleeping in a proper bed. It kinda makes abit of drowsiness and memory loss all of a sudden sound much better! xxx

There is a modified release version. I take one tablet 300mg MR at night, and it slowly releases over 24 hrs. I know when I first started taking the other version, it did knock me out completely to start with, but it did wear off. OK, I still sleep 12 hrs at night, but that may be the mirtazapine too, and tbh I'm grateful for that sleep cos if I had to face any more hours in the day than I currently do, I think I'd be alot worse than I already am. xxxx

I just can't wake up, this feeling is awful. The soonest i can see my pdoc is 9th April :(

Can you not discuss your medication with your GP?

My GP has had to make a few tweaks to my meds in the past, if he wasn't sure he'd call my PDoc

Perhaps with thier permission you could try maybe spacing your dose out throughout the day and limiting your prn, until you get to see your PDoc? Or maybe they could put you on the slow release version?

Do you have a CPN? I think they can help you medication wise, give you advice etc. Worth a call?

Aurora :)

i take 300mgs at night and for me it doesnt make me sleepy but once im asleep it def keeps me asleep for like 14 hours after and even then i need lots of tea strong coffee or red bull to function, i def couldnt work full time on this med, ive been on it for 8 months and it does make me feel flat but the nasty stuff seems to be at a minimum....

i would talk to gp about feeling so drowsy, personally i would say it is better for you to be taking the quetiapine as prn rather than the diazepam ;)

hi you girls,

i got put back on this stuff today. :( i kno i had better take it too. the voices n stuff r a hint i need to take it lol.

i do reckon its the best anti-psychotic available, its just a tad too sedating. zyprexa works a treat imho, but i put on 5st with that 6 yrs ago only lost it all recently.

I will take it at 10 an see what happens- im not looking fwd to it. i think too i would nearly have to start drinkin duoble expressos all day. or cocaine lol.

I guess as long as i dont get the 'heebie jeebies' or the 'twitches' with the stuff i might b better off takin it as im not great atm.

Hey wishing everyone well , love n light, zen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am on 200mg at night and have 200mg prn during the day, but the only reason i tend to take the diazepam is because i don't like the feeling i get. Today i have only been awake for 4 hours. My cpn did phone to see how i am, luckily she caught me whaen i was awake :rolleyes:

I am a bit angry about it because my consultant in hossie did want to observe me on the increased dose, obviously this didnt happen as he discharged me on the day it was increased.

The other drugs i take all enduce sleep aswell, so it really is a no win situation.

Roses since i have been home from hossie i havent been up or awake once to see my daughter off to school, for which i feel really guilty.

Have to agree it is the best stuff i have taken for my phsycosis, the voice and visions that i was experiencing have all but gone, except for the gleaming triangles with razor sharp sides that are within easy reach.

Its a funny old world, where drugs are concerned

Scally x

Could i say, maybe its the diziapam that is causing probs through the day. That is just a muscle relaxent, so im sure it would prob cause problems for u throught the day. I think maybe it is ur diziapam that could be causing ur to sleep more. Also maybe yes the amount ur taking of the anti p could cause u to feel tired.

I tried that drun once, was in hospital at time and band i was on floor and hardly had blood pressure. went back to my old anti p instead.

each body and that is diffrent.

still not sure why u be on diziapam, when ur on a sedictive drug.

Hi Gone i am on the diazepam as i have damaged nerves in my spine (caused by a dodgy anaethetist) but thats another story. Also they gave me diaz in hospital to calm me down as when i have an episode nothing really helps, so i think that may be another reason for it.

Scally x

I stopped taking quetiapine for these reasons, made me so drowsy, even on slow realease version. They say it wears off but it never did for me. There are other meds you could try - risperidone has been a life saver for me xx

Thanks for the replies i will ask my pdoc when i see her in April, can't believe how fast this year is going. :blink:

Have managed the day with only 2 diazepam and the lidocaine patch for my back. Infact i could be called human, as i have been out with the dog aswell.

Scally x

I am on 500mgs slow release I never really got tired but iI sometimes lose the ability to function eg my muscles just give way . I also can have 100mg extra fast release if I'm particularly psychotic. Who knows if it is working or not only know when I was on 600 I was like a robot and when I had it reduced to 300 I was off my tree extremely hypoer paranoid etc. I feel like I am trapped with this drug. Hope you feel better soon scally. xxB

I am having some horrible thoughts right now of taking too many and then it will be done. Its hard when your head is saying one thing but the triaangles are messing with my head. Oh god i hate this condition.

Scally x

As far as I know, quetiapine cannot be taken prn.

It needs a steady amount in the bloodstream.

As far as diazepam is concerned, I would not take it for more than 2 weeks, and I would leave a month totally off the diazepam in between times.

This is to avoid addiction, and horrible withdrawal symptoms, which last months if not years.

I would go back to your psych/doctor and tell him how you are feeling. Tell him you dont want over addictive drugs and that you are feeling drowsy with the quetiapine. Maybe a doseage adjustment is needed or a change of meds.

That is what i have been thinking SW. But i do have it on prn from the consultant at the hospital along with the diazepam.

I have been on the diazepam for at least 6 weeks that i remember. I have another 2 weeks worth on prescription. My appointment with my pdoc is on 9th April, which is 2 days after my meds run out. So i am hoping my gp will sort me out for the days that are missing.

I also take pregabalin and duloxatine

Scally x

The sad thing is that consultants and doctors are a lot more clueless than we give them credit for.

How often have you been taking the diazepam? and how much have you been taking?

You may possibley have a dependency. Don't worry though, because if you do, come off it slowly and carefully, under the correct supervision from a tranquiliser expert, as being on diazepam too long can cause problems. Therefore coming off this drug could well give you some improvements. Whatever you do though, dont come off it sudddenly.

I have been taking 15mg a day on a bad one and aybe just 6mg on a good day. Havent had any today as such until now as my body is screaming for drugs.

Why am i such a failure i tried so hard today not to do the drug thing. I phoned crisis line as i was desperate. What good do they do, they make you feel ok whilst on the phone then its back to reality. Drugs are calling.

Scally x

Hey hun, I had 25mg tablets on prn from my psych, to help me when things got really bad. In the end though, it became something I could abuse so home treatment stopped them. Glad you're talking to us. That's a good thing. xxxx

Have just taken all the drugs i am allowed on one day in one go plus an extra 200mg of quetiapine. Oh well should be asleep soon.

Scally x

Have just taken all the drugs i am allowed on one day in one go plus an extra 200mg of quetiapine. Oh well should be asleep soon.

Scally x

well i hope you are ok ?? i've done the same thing before and just woke up tired. i guess you'll sleep but don't think it is a solution long run. i still wake up dislusioned and life goes onbut harder because you're body is fighting what you did last night. it's not a criticsm but an observation of what happened to me. i fully understand the taking everything at once i just hope you'll be ok.(((scally))) xxBumble

Hi Bumble, yeah i am fine woke up a good 15 hours later. And you are so right the same shit is still here waiting for me. But at least i did get some peace. The only thing i dont like about it when i do it is losing the ability to speak!!! Type just all be it a bit mashed up.

Thanks for caring

Scally x

Archived