Mental Health Forums

My Bi-Polar Disorder And Ocd

RonPrice

There are several psychiatric disorders often confused or associated with BPD(my major disorder) and sufferers with BPD need to be aware of these other disorders in their diagnostic dialogue with their doctor. Differential diagnoses to be considered include: ADHD, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder; recurrent major depressive disorder and schizo-affective disorder. I have had all of these disorders except schizophrenia at one time or another in the last seven decades. Some of these disorders were officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist and some were not.

------------------------

In a list of ten basic symptoms of obsessive-compulsive personality disorder(OCPD), I possessed six symptoms rated at 5 or above on a 10 point scale in January 2010. I will not list these symptoms of OCPD here since this narrative and analysis is a focus on BPD, but readers can easily google them if they are interested. Wikipedia is an informative source for information on OCPD. To be diagnosed as having a personality disorder the pattern of behaviours must be stable across time and have an onset that can be traced back to adolescence or early adulthood. The pattern of behaviours for my OCPD has been highly diverse rather than stable over the years as far back as my childhood but has become more dominant, as I say, in my late adulthood, the years after the age of sixty on a new medication regime of an anti-depressant and a mood stabilizer which I will discuss in more detail later in this story.-Ron in Tasmania

Archived