Mental Health Forums

Compulsions

toaster

does anyone ever get urges to do weird shit? i know a lot of my sh is compulsive but i get urges to do things like stick lit ciggies in me eyes :wacko: just wondering

I get weird thoughts that sometimes stick with me for quite awhile which may be do to OCD type symptoms I have. Lately, I have had the urge to deliberately break my eyeglasses. Sometimes this can last for hours, even all day and I get worried that I may actually carry out the act. I get other types of bizarre thoughts. It seems like I have pretty good self control and hope that I never carry them out but these symptoms bother me and make me feel like a mental case. Anyway Toaster, hang in there and the feelings will pass - take care - Detroitguy.

yeah ive done alot of stupid things to myself.

would say this is not ocd, maybe put warning next time u speak about sh?

sry just giving friendly warning.

Wont go into anything here.

hope ur ok x

well i put it here cuz last pdoc i had sed it was ocd type stuff - i obsess an they are compulsions :wacko: have never really talked bout it b4 cuz i know me thoughts r weird an some r disturbing....

i have changed the title to put trigger warnin in, soz for any upset

i am obsessed with wanting to put things in me eyes - i talk bout eyes constantly, its gross but if i dont talk bout it then i am more likw=ely to do summat. i dont necc say what i wanna do but ill just talk bout eyes lol

detroitguy, i got thru 11 pairs of glasses in 12 months one yr lol so can totally relate

meh

Toaster - my obsessive thoughts seemed to have improved since I was put on haloperidol (antipsychotic) many years ago. When I was really mentally sick in the early 1980's I had delusional obsessions that concerned my eyes. I am a lot better now, possibly do to the medication. Anyway, I hope you find a solution (medication and/or therapy) that will help with your symptoms - Detroitguy.

thats good theyve improved, detroit - ive managed mine really, apart from poking meself in the eyes an breaking me glasses :wacko: have gone to put ciggies in me eyes but never have. the intrusive thoughts have gotten worse lately but so have a lot of my compulsive thoughts and behaviours meh. am glad am not the only one, although obv it aint nice for anyone else to be havin the same :wacko: thanx for replyin makes me feel less weird :)

Toaster - you may want to try and identify things in your life that may be causing you more stress lately. For me, there have been some stresses on my job that may have brought back some of my symptoms in the last couple of weeks. I think DBT is really helpful with my problems. I am not in a DBT group, but follow self help using three DBT books I have. I also am a believer in the self help group we have here in the USA called "Recovery Incorporated" and try to follow their principles. Otherwise, I hope you are at least finding some enjoyable things to do this weekend to distract you from your problems - Detroitguy.

yes i have a lot stress, things beyond my control - i recognise the triggers now , just dont know how to control the thoughts - or i guess i am controlling them cuz im not acting on them

i had group therapy for a couple of years and have learnt some good techniques, i had wonderful therapists and i got a lot out of it cuz i put a lot in :)

thanx dude xx

Archived