Mental Health Forums

5 4 3 2 1

Inachus io

I get panic attacks every day. they can be really bad and go on for a long time. They are especially bad when I'm trying to go to bed, but they can hit any time they feel like it.

I mentioned before that my T and I are doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy and I'd share stuff from it that might come in useful - this is one of those things.

5 4 3 2 1 - A centering, calming exercise

when I'm having a panic attack, I get caught up in it - locked into a hard loop that feeds on itself. often I'm dwelling on things in the past that I can't change, or worrying about things in the future that might not even happen. I am not Here and Now - I'm going away someplace else. When I was a kid, I called it the dark.

5 4 3 2 1 works for me because it brings me back to exactly where I am. it makes me focus on what's really happening, and what's really around me. Usually by the time I get to 3 I'm feeling much better, but I go through all the way to the end anyhow, as it's good practice and helps reinforce the exercise.

You don't have to be frightened to do 5 4 3 2 1. You can do it while you're lying in bed and about to go to sleep, or just about to do something you're nervous about, or just to do it because you feel calm afterward. I used to try to solve my anxieties with alchohol - I always had at least a bottle of scotch close to hand. You know how that goes - it seems like it's working, but really it's not.

Here's how it goes:

First: tell yourself exactly where and when you are and what you are doing. If you can say it out loud, say it - if you can't, say it in your head, firmly. Example: I am at home. I am in my room working at the computer. It's about 11 o clock at night.

now, say to yourself, five things I hear. then listen and say the five things you hear. I hear the traffic outside my window. I hear the fan on my computer. I hear the cat's collar bells jingling. I hear someone's stereo playing eminem. I hear the fan in the hallway.

then say, Five things I see. then look around and name five things that you see around you. I see my halogen desk lamp. I see my irish briar pipe. I see my cordless telephone. I see my bookshelf. I see my flower box full of tropical plants. (hey, those need water.)

then say, five things I feel. These are physical sensations--not emotions! pause for a moment, and say those five things. I feel the fabric of my chair on my back. I feel the carpet under my bare feet. I feel an itch on my right ear. I fell my right leg crossed over my left knee. I feel sore shoulders.

once you're done, say, Good. and then smile.

now on to four. Four things I hear. Listen, and name four things.

then Four Things I see. Look around, and name four things.

then four things I feel. pause, and name four things.

when you're done that, say, Good.

and go on to three. Good.

and then to two. Good.

and finally to one.

Do you need to name different things every time? You should try, but if you can't name all different things, that's okay. Try to name new things first, though, before going on to the repeated ones. The object is to become aware of your surroundings - to come back to here, and now. Like I said, usually by the time I get to three I already feel better, but I go all the way through because it's quite peaceful. Things become okay. And I notice things, because I'm really listening, really looking around, really paying attention to my body.

You do it when you're still, but I've done it while walking - that was funny. I'd gotten to feel, and I said, "Five things I feel - I really need to pee!" and I got up and kept going with it.

What do you do once you get to one? Take a moment to note how you feel now, and go on with whatever you were going to do. I've gone right back to doing 5 4 3 2 1 again if I don't feel like I'm all the way Here and Now, and I've fallen asleep right in the middle of doing it. But I'm surprised and pleased with how well it works.

Thanks.....I have tried that before a long time ago but completely forgot about it......thanks for reminding me again.......I needed that.......thanks!!!!

Although it sounds a very time consuming process, I think it is a fabulous idea. I am definately going to be trying it! Thank you for shring that.

'often I'm dwelling on things in the past that I can't change, or worrying about things in the future that might not even happen'.

I do that so often (in fact all of the time) and just hearing someone else write it has made it more real that I do it, so thank you again. I will keep all this in mind next time I am doing it.

xx

Although it sounds a very time consuming process, I think it is a fabulous idea. I am definately going to be trying it! Thank you for shring that.

'often I'm dwelling on things in the past that I can't change, or worrying about things in the future that might not even happen'.

I do that so often (in fact all of the time) and just hearing someone else write it has made it more real that I do it, so thank you again. I will keep all this in mind next time I am doing it.

xx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find that I can get it done in about ten minutes, but sometimes I'll deliberately take longer to do it. part of how it works is the length of time that it takes to work - it's a call to slow down and get away from the racing, circular thoughts that come with anxiety or when thinking about something negative is getting you down.

Yeah, it takes a while to do. sometimes up to 20 minutes. But considering that I've clocked episodes of panic attacks and persistent anxiety at over four hours, ten or twenty minutes is a small price to pay, I figure. I really hate the epinephrine rollercoaster, and most of the drugs you can take to counter an anxiety attack when it's happening are addictive--so i wouldn't takke them. which meant suffering - or scaring my friends as badly as me.

I think also that it's a preliminary exercise to get ready for eastern-style meditation - I suspect that it's part of DBT work, just from what I've been reading. People often tell me how good meditation is, but I've never been good at it because I think too damn much.

Wow!! Thank u so much for posting this here. I will try it, it sounds like it will be useful in trying to get to sleep/relaxing as well as anxiety. Like u say, the racing thoughts in panic attacks are v hard to get away from without meds. I have had problems with beginning to get addicted to lorazepam so I've been trying to find other ways of coping with panic attacks...and this sounds like it will help...I like the idea of being focused on the here and now.

Would u mind if I printed your post off? I have memory like a goldfish and will need reminding of what to do!! :blink:

Thanks again :)

Would u mind if I printed your post off? I have memory like a goldfish and will need reminding of what to do!! :blink:

Thanks again  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

definitely print it! print multiple copies!

thx for posting the exercise.

here and now seems to be a problem for me... gonna try this instead of curling inword.

bets

Hi, just wanted to say thanks again for sharing this with us. I went to group therapy today and we were sharing our coping strategies and I told everyone about 54321.....they were all very positive about it and said it was definately the best suggestion of the morning! So thank u...you've helped a whole group of people, I hope it works for them like it has done for me this week. I've used it to try and slow my thoughts down before getting to sleep and it helped then too.

Take care, hugs xxx :P

THAT IS BRILLIANT I TRIED IT AGES AGO WITH MY GP AND IT WORKED WELL THE ONLY THING I FOUND THAT ANNOYED ME IS THAT IT TOOK TOO LONG AND I GOT FRUSTRATED WITH THINGS THAT TOOK TOO LONG. SO I TENDED TO JUST FOCUS MY MIND ON ONE THING AT A TIME . EG IF I WAS MAKING A COFFEE. ID COMPLETELTY FOCUS MY MIND ON THAT AND NOTHING ELSE. ID BLOCK EVERYTHING ELSE OUT. THAT SEEMED TO WORK FOR ME. IT WAS QUICK AND SIMPLE. BUT WHAT YOU DESCRIBED WAS ASLO BRILLLIANT AND A GREAT WAY OF CALMING THE MIND WHEN HEADING INTO A PANIC ATTACK.

WELL DONE MATE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Archived