Mental Health Forums

Ocd And Numbers

jjbell7

a recent gf had ocd with even numbers and especially the number 4, she said her ocd wasn't a problem but a comfort but surely there's a flip side, is anyone glad they have ocd?

I dont have OCD, but the thing that happens with it is that you get a compulsion or urge which you feel you must carry out, and you feel uncomfortable until you do. She would think it was comforting - as long as she carried out the compulsion, she would momentarily feel better. She misses the fact that the compulsion itself is uncomfortable and unneccessary. All she knows is "I feel bad, and when I do this I feel better".

As a slightly crude comparison, imagine that you believe vampires will come down your chimney every night if you dont put a new piece of garlic over the fireplace. Not putting a piece there will make you very uncomfortable, so you hang another chunk of it. You feel instant relief, knowing that no vampires will be arriving tonight, and so this behaviour feels productive and comforting. But it never occurs to you (or rather, the emotional part of your mind) that vampires are never going to come down that chimney anyway.

Of course obsessions and compulsions are not trivial things, and they are not as 'voluntary' as this crude example suggests. Under obsessions and compulsions lie fear, shame and a terrible sensation of having no control over anything in their life. Whatever it is they obsess over is like a 'talisman' issue, the one thing they feel they can control where everything else may seem overwhelming.

Ross

im ocd, do i like having it? certainly not, would i be cured of it if i could? nope... the fear of not having it is worse coz i wouldnt be aware of all that i am with ocd.

xxx

It has to be even numbers or 5 for me.. i try to ignore uneven (yes UNeven numbers, not odd numbers - i'm weird) numbers, like on tv volume or something similar but my mind keeps on and i start feeling pressure building inside until i change it on a even number.

Archived